Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Alyssa Ogawa neela's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Underneath the Northern Lights
    Posts
    138

    Default Shape-shifting Asurans?

    Are the Asurans capable of changing their physical appearance at will, sort of like the newer Terminator models? I know they can go from solid to liquid state, but I'm thinking in terms of their human (or Wraith) infiltration skills, and I cannot remember if this was ever covered in SGA. Are they perhaps "locked" in a particular appearance? Any help appreciated!
    "If I should die, think only this of me: / That there's some corner of a foreign field / That is forever [Earth]."
    Earth is gone, but Atlantis must survive... Apoca!fic. Post-Season 5. John/Sam.

  2. #2
    Lieutenant General thekillman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    My Throne in Heaven
    Posts
    18,727

    Default Re: Shape-shifting Asurans?

    They can do so at will, but choose a certain appearance. because of their abilities infiltration is pretty useless (their indestructible nature and exotic materials means any half-assed scan would instantly notice)

    EDIT:

    Their nature in general would make infiltration of any kind (other than on a nanite level obviously) fairly useless. They're made of Neutronium, which would make them much heavier than a similar human. They are also much stronger and resilient, so any form of harm would tell them apart anyway. And according to the Milky Way human forms, they're much more efficient with energy which means even something as simple as body warmth would not be the same. So they look human, but everything else would easily break that illusion.

    Not that such a thing really matters though, they can easily extract the information they need from people, and could -in most cases- simply walk in and mindread whoever they want.
    Last edited by thekillman; January 23rd, 2016 at 06:00 AM.

  3. #3
    Alyssa Ogawa neela's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Underneath the Northern Lights
    Posts
    138

    Default Re: Shape-shifting Asurans?

    Thanks for the detailed feedback! Definitely some food for thought there... From what I gather here, though, long-term infiltration in somewhat technological societies would be pretty useless. But let's say they only need (max.) an hour in an agricultural society (that's overpopulated, by the way) to locate and extract a particular person. Would that be feasible?

    Also, since you bring up the scans, are the Genii capable of detecting an Asuran with their level of technology? Do they have any scanning technology available?
    "If I should die, think only this of me: / That there's some corner of a foreign field / That is forever [Earth]."
    Earth is gone, but Atlantis must survive... Apoca!fic. Post-Season 5. John/Sam.

  4. #4
    Lieutenant General thekillman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    My Throne in Heaven
    Posts
    18,727

    Default Re: Shape-shifting Asurans?

    Quote Originally Posted by neela View Post
    But let's say they only need (max.) an hour in an agricultural society (that's overpopulated, by the way) to locate and extract a particular person. Would that be feasible?
    In theory, soggy ground could give an Asuran away. They're entirely made from Neutronium, supposedly a super-heavy unknown element, so they *should* have considerable more mass than a regular human would. After all, Asurans are replicators that make themselves look human, it's a cosmetic thing. Some sort of attack or scratch (exposing the silver nanites), but also possibly body warmth would give them easily away.

    The real question would be: how aware are the humans of the concept of an Asuran? Because to an unsuspecting world, an asuran could be considered weird and creepy, leaving deeper footprints than expected and feeling cold like a corpse, but would they realize what theý're dealing with, and better yet could they deal with one?



    Quote Originally Posted by neela View Post
    Also, since you bring up the scans, are the Genii capable of detecting an Asuran with their level of technology? Do they have any scanning technology available?
    It depends on how willing and able the Asurans are to change to fit their appearance. I mean, technically they should be multi-ton super-terminators in terms of capacity, but the series plays fast and loose with this (since they're played by actual humans). Also, a simple Infrared detector would notice the Asurans being colder. earthly technologies like X-rays would also be a dead giveaway.

  5. #5
    First Lieutenant
    Member Since
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    520

    Default Re: Shape-shifting Asurans?

    Quote Originally Posted by neela View Post
    Are the Asurans capable of changing their physical appearance at will, sort of like the newer Terminator models? I know they can go from solid to liquid state, but I'm thinking in terms of their human (or Wraith) infiltration skills, and I cannot remember if this was ever covered in SGA. Are they perhaps "locked" in a particular appearance? Any help appreciated!
    It wasn't until McKay started messing with the base code that the replicators could change their appearance. At least that's what Repli-Keller said in This Mortal Coil.

  6. #6
    Probie
    Member Since
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Shape-shifting Asurans?

    Thanks. You just answered what I had in mind.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Shape-shifting Asurans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhousden View Post
    It wasn't until McKay started messing with the base code that the replicators could change their appearance. At least that's what Repli-Keller said in This Mortal Coil.
    I thought they said that was when they could change their appearance to match living being; before that they could not imitate living humans or ancients.

  8. #8
    First Lieutenant
    Member Since
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    520

    Default Re: Shape-shifting Asurans?

    Quote Originally Posted by atterodevice View Post
    I thought they said that was when they could change their appearance to match living being; before that they could not imitate living humans or ancients.
    IIRC they were mimicking the Ancients long before McKay started fussing with their base code. They couldn't change their appearance. That part was hard coded to them.

Tags for this Thread

Similar Threads

  1. ZPM shape
    By Ancientechexpert in forum SGA Science and Tech
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: May 18th, 2013, 12:12 PM
  2. phase shifting
    By x303 in forum SG-1 Science and Tech
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: August 15th, 2008, 03:18 AM
  3. Ha'tak Shape
    By songar87 in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: April 23rd, 2008, 12:11 PM
  4. The Shape
    By ohnd in forum Battlestar Galactica
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: December 23rd, 2006, 11:19 AM
  5. phase shifting?
    By Gargen in forum SG-1 Science and Tech
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: February 28th, 2006, 04:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •