Post Leviathan Wakes (110)

Visit the Episode GuideTHE EXPANSE - SEASON ONE
    LEVIATHAN WAKES
    EPISODE NUMBER - 110
    The crew of the Rocinate tries to make their way through the bowels of Eros in order to escape the station in the midst of a crisis, while an increasingly desperate Holden and Miller fight to stay alive. Back on Earth, Avisarala discovers that elements of her own government are working to disrupt the balance of peace in the system.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; February 26th, 2016 at 10:40 PM.

Second Lieutenant

Default Re: Leviathan Wakes (110)

In the books, Miller had started imagining Julie talking to him even before he left Ceres, although I suppose it makes more sense that it wouldn't have happened until after he encountered her on Eros. It will be interesting to see how they utilize Miller in Season 2 rather than the way they would have if they had followed the ending of the first book. I shouldn't say any more about that so I don't spoil anything for those who have yet to read it. I do recommend the books, they are better than the series, even though I did like it a lot too.

There's no way to know how things would have been different if they had been given at least thirteen episodes rather than just ten. The added non-book characters and all the scenes on Earth (which we didn't get until the second book) slowed the plot a bit, plus other things concerning Miller, Havelock, and the crew of the Rocinante were a bit jarring at first. There wasn't as much antagonism between Holden and Amos Burton in the book, Havelock played more of a part in getting information to Miller concerning things happening on Eros, and I saw no purpose in the character of Kenzo. IIRC, someone like him was in the book, but he wasn't named, and he never set foot on Rocinante, he was just following them in a stealth ship and sending information back to Earth, but he was not an agent for Avasarala. I kept thinking they were rapidly running out of time for Miller's final encounter with Julie, but they went another way, so who knows how things will go in Season 2. Unfortunately, we have to wait at least year to find out. They still have at least a couple of chapters worth of story from book one, although there's no way of knowing how much of what's left to tell about Eros that they might change.

Overall, my rating for the show dipped slightly as the season progressed, mainly because of the deviations in the plot, even though I still liked it a lot. Thomas Jane's performance was the highlight, along with Shohreh Aghdashloo and Florence Faivre in her brief appearances as Julie. Steven Strait never convinced me he was right for the role of Holden, seeming too young, although the authors say he's very close to the book character's age. I initially thought the same about Wes Chatham as Amos, but his actions did fit the character profile very well. The visual effects were as good as anything I've seen on TV, and the practical sets of the ship interiors were impressive. I think they also did a good job with the various interior sections of Ceres, although it was too obvious they repurposed several of those sets for Eros. My final rating is somewhere between 7-8 out of 10, although certain elements and a few changes they made threatened to drop it even lower.

I enjoyed this season. I think it's probably my favorite show on TV now actually. One thing I never quite understood was why Miller was so obsessed with finding Julie. So was he actually in love with her? I thought they never met.
    "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

I loved the last 2 episodes of the season. I loved the flashbacks to what happened to Julie. Loved everything on Eros and Earth.

I didn't mind the addition of things that weren't in the book. I think they helped develop some of the characters bit more (I really liked Windmills as an episode). I liked that they added Avasarala to this season. I even liked the spy, I think he added a little bit of comic relief at times.

I loved the visuals. Miller was probably my favorite character throughout. Thomas Jane did a great job, despite him not really fitting my mental image of the character at first. I really liked Amos, Alex, Naomi and Avasarala. Loved Julie. I even grew to like the actor playing Holden by the end.

I'm really looking forward to the second season. I wish the wait wasn't so long though.

Captain

I think I'll goto the library and get the book(s) out, I quiet liked the series as a whole, but it'd be interesting to see which bits they changed.

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
    I enjoyed this season. I think it's probably my favorite show on TV now actually. One thing I never quite understood was why Miller was so obsessed with finding Julie. So was he actually in love with her? I thought they never met.
    It was a combination of having an interesting case that he couldn't shake, along with him coming to respect Julie for the choices she had made. She was doing something she believed in, and that brought it home to him that he had wasted his life. She was from Earth and she was doing more for the Belters than he ever had. She was his Dulcinea.

Haven't read the books but im pretty sure Kenzo is not dead, atleast i think the actor will stick around for s2

I think this has the potential to be the next big thing sci fi wise imo, atleast as good as BSG
    Last Movie Watched
    X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
    Life is Strange

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Ian-S View Post
    I think I'll goto the library and get the book(s) out, I quiet liked the series as a whole, but it'd be interesting to see which bits they changed.
    Make sure you start with the first book, Leviathan Wakes. Also, not that you need to read it, but if you haven't seen it, there is a prequel short story called "Drive" which you can read at http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/drive/
    It's about Solomon Epstein, who developed the spaceship drive that made the exploration and colonization of the solar system feasible.

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by mr_kennedy View Post
    Haven't read the books but im pretty sure Kenzo is not dead, atleast i think the actor will stick around for s2

I think this has the potential to be the next big thing sci fi wise imo, atleast as good as BSG
    If they had stuck with the books, it would be another character in Kenzo's situation.

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by ecgordon View Post
    Make sure you start with the first book, Leviathan Wakes. Also, not that you need to read it, but if you haven't seen it, there is a prequel short story called "Drive" which you can read at http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/drive/
    It's about Solomon Epstein, who developed the spaceship drive that made the exploration and colonization of the solar system feasible.
    Thank you.

I'm glad they didn't rush it, and ended with Eros. Everything that matters was in it, the infected, the fight between the security people, the radiation poisoning. But it seems they aimed it a 13 episodes originally. But this is a good cliffhanger too.

Second Lieutenant

Ive been watching every episode on the space channel on Shaw Cable here in Vancouver, but for some unknown reason this last episode which is supposed to be aired today is not on?

Any one know what happened to the broadcast...all they have is some 2013 paranormal episodes ????

BTW the best SYFY currently on TV!!!
    SGU. Best Sci-fi show to come along in decades.

Quote Originally Posted by psl1 View Post
    Ive been watching every episode on the space channel on Shaw Cable here in Vancouver, but for some unknown reason this last episode which is supposed to be aired today is not on?

Any one know what happened to the broadcast...all they have is some 2013 paranormal episodes ????

BTW the best SYFY currently on TV!!!
    I was watching it on Vancouver Shaw cable too and was surprised to see that there was another episode being discussed here on GW! So was the cliff hanger the discovery they were irradiated in that shelter, seemed logical to me to have that as a cliff hanger?

Need someone to help these two confused Vancouverites out! lol

Second Lieutenant

There is one more episode after Holden and Miller were irradiated. Here in the US we got the final two eps on the same night. Are you sure they didn't broadcast both 9 & 10 last week and you just missed it? It's online at syfy, but they have those two together on the same link as #9: Critical Mass/Leviathan Wakes. Maybe they're on the Space site too.

Second Lieutenant

I can't see how, my PVR is set to record all "New " episodes of this show, when they are first broadcast.
    SGU. Best Sci-fi show to come along in decades.

I don't know. I'm not quite into this. I am almost done with the 1st book and have viewed the series. The productions is good but it seems a little lacking to me. A lot of politics, a lot of dialogue used to get across the narrative in the book. It's got the tech, but not the sci-fi I'm quite looking for. Not big on concept except for the " bio-weapon". It's kind of like Battlestar Galactica; a little gritty, emotionally challenged characters. I loved Galactica. I don't know why this is not grabbing me.

I finally watched this episode on the Space channel's streaming service. It was put as episodes 9 & 10 together but for some reason when it was aired originally on the Space Channel in Vancouver it didn't come on as a 2 episode finale so having PVR'd it I only picked up episode 9. I don't recall seeing episode 10 though following it straight after otherwise I would have picked that up to record since I set my PVR recordings on the same day not as a series.

Oh well, got there finally! It was a good ending and great set up for the second season. Looking forward to that. Might give the books a go too as I've really got into this show.