Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Altered Carbon" heading to Netflix

http://www.blastr.com/2016-1-20/cybe...flix-tv-series

Netflix is adapting the sci-fi book "Altered Carbon" by Richard Morgan as a 10 episode series.

I read the book many years ago and I remember that I really enjoyed the book but for the life of me I can't remembering anything about its plot or how it ended even after reading the synopses in the linked article

Here's hoping that Netflix manages to do the book justice and make a great sci-fi show

Sounds interesting. I've never read the book, but I'm looking forward to seeing what Netflix does with it. They usually have good series.
    sigpic

Comment

There isn't much on right now that has grabbed me but I've really enjoyed this series so far, I'm through the first 6 episodes. I've also liked Electric Dreams on Amazon, all stand alone episodes. (I believe they are written by the author of Blade Runner)

Comment

Originally posted by rkgardner2003 View Post
        There isn't much on right now that has grabbed me but I've really enjoyed this series so far, I'm through the first 6 episodes. I've also liked Electric Dreams on Amazon, all stand alone episodes. (I believe they are written by the author of Blade Runner)
        Electric Dreams episodes are based on short stories written by Phillip K Dick. He was the author of "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" That Balde Runner was based on.

Comment

I just finished watching this, all I can say is wow, as close to x rated scifi were ever gonna get, dam.

Comment

I'm just finishing up episode 3 right now. It's an interesting series, lots of really cool concepts and a really amazing Blade Runner visual aesthetic.

There's something missing though, something that I can't quite put my finger on. I have no issue with (and quite enjoy) 'grim,' so I hesitate to say the show is missing "heart," but there's just a certain je ne sais quoi that's absent IMO. Then again, I'm still early in the show, so that could change.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I've just got to the end of S1, having taken probably close to a year to watch all 10 episodes. (Mostly because time is scarce, and my wife has no interest in it, so, ya know...)

I enjoyed the series, the "world" it constructed was quite an interesting one, and it is certainly well presented. At times though it just feels like it's going through a million miles of exposition and not caring if you keep up. Or maybe I'm just old.

I read one review saying that they could have kept a lot of story back for the next season - allowing this season to be less cluttered... (perhaps the problem when you're not sure if you will get S2, so you cram everything into the time that you have been allotted.) I would have enjoyed that, I think, especially having just now learned that we're losing Joel Kinnaman as the lead actor...

(I'm a Doctor Who fan, but no, that doesn't make Joel's departure any easier. I think S2 will really need to work hard to keep me...)
              back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
              "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
              "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
              and lots more!

Comment

I could have sworn there was an other Altered Carbon thread, but maybe I remember wrong.

Season 2 trailer related news :
                https://www.gateworld.net/news/2020/...ltered-carbon/

It looks amazing. Wow. It is visually stunning. Can't wait to see it!

But it is a bit hard to accept the replacement of the cast, but now the viewers have to get used to the stack change. I haven't read the novels, but such things happened there as well because of the new planets according to some fans.

Kovács means Smith by the way. Amanda Tapping's husband has got the same surname too.
                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Woot! (Cringing at myself every time I say that)

Worried I’d be waiting a long time for S2... not too bad.

But still not liking the change of lead.
                  "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                  and lots more!

Comment

I watched season 2. I kind of liked it better than the first season in way. I found the cop in the first season so annoying, I almost didn't make it through to the end because of her. None of the characters in the second season annoyed me to that extent. The change in lead didn't bother me. I like Anthony Mackie as an actor and I didn't really miss Joel Kinnaman as Kovacs.
                    sigpic

Comment

I've only watched the first episode so far... but - I guess a bit like a change of Doctor - by the end of the episode I was pretty happy with Mackie.

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
                      I watched season 2. I kind of liked it better than the first season in way. I found the cop in the first season so annoying, I almost didn't make it through to the end because of her. None of the characters in the second season annoyed me to that extent. The change in lead didn't bother me. I like Anthony Mackie as an actor and I didn't really miss Joel Kinnaman as Kovacs.
                      I get what you're saying about the cop... I wanted to like her... at times I did... but yes - she was quite annoying overall.
                      and lots more!

Comment

‘Altered Carbon’ Canceled After Two Seasons at Netflix

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

I can't say I'm gutted about the cancellation... I didn't get through S2...

But am upset to hear in that same article about "I'm Not Okay With This" being cancelled. I binged the first season in 2 days and was looking forward to the follow up. Even worse though is to read that the reason for the cancellation was "due to Netflix’s traditional approach of cost versus viewership of a series".

If they aren't going to invest in their own shows... there's other platforms I could be throwing my money at.
                          and lots more!

Comment

Pretty devo about this. I enjoyed season 1 more than 2 but I still enjoyed S2 and was very much looking forward to the next one.

What also annoys me is that there doesn't seem to be any blu-ray releases of it out there (presumably to maximise netflix sign ups). I wonder if the show's cancellation decreases or increases the chance of a physical release now.
                            Blakes Sanctum: Retro site for retro games! Age of Wonders, Babylon 5, Civilization, Command & Conquer, Elder Scrolls, Dune, Final Fantasy, Freelancer, Heroes of Might & Magic, Imperium Galactica, Master of Magic, Quest for Glory, Starflight, Star Trek & more!

Comment

Got around to watching this show after my sister suggested it. Crushed that it's canceled. It's different and interesting. I'll miss Poe the most.
                              Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Working...
                              X