X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rant at work, phase 2!

RANT ON

Well, it seems the security company i worked for since June is now no longer going to be getting my services, after yet another dicking over..

First one came back in August, where just as i was getting back from Gencon last year, i started noticing that the following week, listed me with Nothing pending for assignments. When i inquired as to why, i got the runaround for a few hours, then finally someone mentioned to me that i had a 'complaint' from a worker at the store i was doing my job at. They had pulled me from that shift and was trying to figure where else to stick me.
    Apparently cause it's contract work, if a customer complains to the agency who contracts out to us, we don't get to challenge the complaint, let alone find out who/what/where of that complaint.
    So they moved me to a different store, and i had some overnights elsewhere.. :blueangry: :blueangry:

2nd dicking over came when i had a week with lots of hours, but as it was 'under 2 different contracts', it was NOT computed as overtime pay for the almost 35 hrs i had over the 40 hrs regular week. Instead it was split into those 2 contracts (even though i work For the security company, They are not the ones managing the hours, its the agency(s) we contract too)... That meant the pay was split into one check of 35 hrs for 'company 1' and 40.5 hrs for 'contracted company 2'.. Now after checking in with the local labor laws that still smarted, but seemed in accordance with how contract work is...
    BUT then the check from that company seemed to get lost in the mail for almost 2 weeks. Eventually they cancelled THAT check and issued me a 2nd one. BUT i got hit for the $30 buck cancellation fee...??!?! 8O 8O

Third one was very recent, as on Xmas, i was still slated by the contract to be at the 'fabric store' where i work even though they are closed on Xmas.. BY the contract and as per one of my boss ladies, i just show up, call in, and get 'paid' for a contracted min of 4 hrs at time and a half since it was a holiday.. Well i still have not seen THAT portion of the paycheck, as somehow the payroll lady screwed up and issued THAT day's check to someone else even though the office DID confirm with me that i was there, and I was the one who sent in the payroll required Time sheet via my email..

Now comes the last one.. Today i showed up at work, only to find another guard already there. He was called in supposedly at the last minute, and i was supposed to have been called yesterday by the office (NO call, no voice mail, no email no and) to be told i am no longer working that post.. All cause yet again, someone (No info on who or what), complained to corporate, and like the first issue above, i have NO capacity to challenge it etc..

After talking to the main office, i felt i was getting a massive screw job, and even though THEY tried to make sure i understood i was not fired, i just need to be patient to get reassigned to another location, i would need at least a day to think this over to see if i still wish to even work FOR them, after all the dick overs i have had..

Now i have had almost 3 hrs to somewhat calm down, i am still going with my gut and i will be sending in an email to the main office, tendering my resignation. Pity even at only $9.50 an hr it was still a somewhat cushy job, just standing around (much like walmart greeters) and walking the post. BUT i can't stand the level of asshattery they seem to show employees..

Luckily when i was in our local library, i got to chatting with Their security guard, who did seem to indicate that the library system is looking to hire... So if i wish to stay with security work, i have a good out to go to..

Rant over...

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
    2nd dicking over came when i had a week with lots of hours, but as it was 'under 2 different contracts', it was NOT computed as overtime pay for the almost 35 hrs i had over the 40 hrs regular week. Instead it was split into those 2 contracts (even though i work For the security company, They are not the ones managing the hours, its the agency(s) we contract too)... That meant the pay was split into one check of 35 hrs for 'company 1' and 40.5 hrs for 'contracted company 2'.. Now after checking in with the local labor laws that still smarted, but seemed in accordance with how contract work is...
    I think I remember reading about some company doing something like this in the past year or two. Went to court as I recall.

I don't remember anything else, but it won't hurt to try to find the details.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
      Luckily when i was in our local library, i got to chatting with Their security guard, who did seem to indicate that the library system is looking to hire... So if i wish to stay with security work, i have a good out to go to..
      At least you'll have the hopeful promise of a potential job.

I know someone under the age of 60, getting screwed into split shift work within the same week, and no relief to catch up on restorative energy. He's been laid off of work several times in his lifetime, so every time he's tried to start a retirement plan, he ended up losing his investments, because the companies he has worked for often ended up going bottoms up (out of business or sold to a new merger, which decided to move to a different location, too far away). So, there is not enough money for him to retire on, and current company is planning on shutting the facility down and opening up in another state where there already is a branch office and already hired workers there (sigh!).

He's too young to retire with full social security benefits, and not enough for any reasonable job pension plan. Too old to get a job instantly when there are hundreds (in that local area) of younger people vying for that job/position, as well. Plus, persona has had numerous health issues ---- heart bypass surgeries; diabetes; high blood pressure; and sleep apnea on the major list; kidney stones on the manageable minor list..

Unfortunately, he believes he has too many health issues for anyone to automatically hire him, because a healthier person most likely would get hired first, and so forth down the line, before he would even be considered as a potential employee candidate.

Person has good insurance, but that may be cut if he gets pushed out of his job in the next 2 months due to medical reasons. Getting on new insurance has a 3 month waiting/trial period before it becomes effective, and the alternative is 3 times higher than his current insurance, with less benefits coverage.

Add insult to injury, and one of his lifetime friends (around the same age) had a brag-fest session about working steady in the same company, with a robust pension plan and is planning on retiring next year.. That really hurt.. especially, when trying to maintain the same conversational subject and not get discouraged.

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
        At least you'll have the hopeful promise of a potential job.

I know someone under the age of 60, getting screwed into split shift work within the same week, and no relief to catch up on restorative energy. He's been laid off of work several times in his lifetime, so every time he's tried to start a retirement plan, he ended up losing his investments, because the companies he has worked for often ended up going bottoms up (out of business or sold to a new merger, which decided to move to a different location, too far away).
        This is going to be a huge problem in a decade or two. Over the past 30+ years, as the U.S. has outsourced the majority of its good jobs, a large percentage of the working class has been living hand to mouth, barely making ends meet, let alone being able to save for retirement. The SS system is about bankrupt as well, so that's not likely to be there either.

I have no idea what the solution to this might be, or if it even can be solved, but it's a nice little stinkbomb coming down the pipe.

Comment

why complain about work? the employers obviously had a good reason to do what they did (only a Communist™ would think otherwise)

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
            why complain about work? the employers obviously had a good reason to do what they did (only a Communist™ would think otherwise)
            Just replace strike with complain

Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
            X