• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rock Bottom (106)

Visit the Episode GuideTHE EXPANSE - SEASON ONE
    ROCK BOTTOM
    EPISODE NUMBER - 106
    After the Rocinante docks at Tycho Station Holden tries to size up Fred Johnson, who attempts to recruit him for a mission to find the sole survivor of the Scopuli. On Ceres Miller finds himself at the mercy of the OPA's Anderson Dawes, who is looking for Julie Mao's data cube. Elsewhere, an asteroid mining ship has a fateful run-in with the MCRN border patrol.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 28 January 2016, 10:20 PM.

Syfy must have messed up and given the wrong episode title to tv listing sites, or the producers changed the title later, because #6 was "Rock Bottom" instead of "Retrofit". Even though the Mars ship Tachi, renamed the Rocinante, was retrofitted at Tycho Station.

Comment

I really enjoyed this episode. I'm really liking all the characters now, though I still like Holden the least (I'm still not completely sold on the actor being right for the role). I really enjoyed the scene with Amos and Alex at the bar, it developed the characters a little and gave them some more personality (especially Amos). I also really liked Naomi in this episode, I usually like her though. I loved the parts with Miller. Overall, I thought it was a very good episode.
      sigpic

Comment

For me at the moment Miller is carrying the show but liking the Amos character more and more. Also feel that something is wrong with the casting for Holden.

Comment

Originally posted by linux geek View Post
          Also feel that something is wrong with the casting for Holden.
          He seems to fit the book character, pretty boy, popular, underachieving slacker, secret moralist. His secret moralism kicks the whole thing off, listening to Julie Mao plead for help and logging the call after the captain erases, starting the whole chain of events culminating in his saying "It's all my fault" in "Rock Bottom". And his needing to fix it, recovering the escaped Juile Mao for the OPA out of guilt.

They've done well overall. Only change the TV made vs. the book was in Anderson Dawes. In the TV series, he tries to kill Miller. In the book, he sits Miller down and explains the inter-planetary politics and why Miller, as an agent for Earth/StarHelix, can't be the one to find Mao. The book version seems to work better in fleshing out the inter-planetary politics which is one of the great features of the book, how the economics and politics of a very realistic world 200 years from now work. Daws still owns Shaddid, the head of StarHelix security and she still fires him for not letting go of the Mao case but it (the book) leaves Daws as a more sympathetic figure.

Comment

I'm really liking this show so far. I never read the books, but I'm liking the characters.
            I like the realism, too, as far as the politics and the fact that they show how the low G affects growth and development of people on the Ceres, ect vs Earth.

Comment

Hmm, is the boy that was left in space the same as the one Miller caught stealing water on Ceres?

That's great. And this episode is also pretty great. The lowpoint of the season so far is episode 5.

And I very much liked Dawes and Miller's ex-boss.

Comment

Originally posted by TOIVA View Post
                Hmm, is the boy that was left in space the same as the one Miller caught stealing water on Ceres?
                Yes it was. Andrew Rotilio as Diogo.

Comment

Only catched that on rewatch. This show really needs to be seen several times as there are many little nuggets hidden everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by TOIVA View Post
                    Only catched that on rewatch. This show really needs to be seen several times as there are many little nuggets hidden everywhere.
                    Well the stories tie together, good story telling.
                    Spoiler:
                    The reason the Rocinante gets boarded in "Windmills" is because Diogo's uncle destroys the Martian Patrol ship that boarded his ship in "Rock Bottom". And don't stress over Diogo's being put off the ship, the uncles does it to save his life from the uncle's suicide mission. You hear the uncle say "Don't worry, someone will find you".
                    Last edited by GateWorld; 28 January 2016, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Amos started kinda weak but I like his character development. He is starting to remind me of Greer from SGU now. Kinda the badass "I'll kill you or worse" just because I can attitude. I loved that in SGU and it has me rooting for Amos in this show as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X