Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sort of a science question (based on Sight Unseen)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sort of a science question (based on Sight Unseen)

I'm not sure if I should post this here, under season 6, or a science website. There are a lot of scientific reasons why the brain makes people think they see ghosts and weird stuff. I've got a friend that believes in that kind of stuff and it got me wondering. I can kind of and use an episode 6:13 sight unseen as example. They started seeing creatures from another dimension that I guess also occupied our space? I can't remember why. Anyways I read something that intrigued me, and that we only hear sound because we have ears, see colour because we have eyes, what if there is something out there we are oblivious too because we don't have the senses to detect it. Perhaps people who see ghosts and weird things just have bodies that are more evolved and are slowly getting senses of it? There must be stuff our minds can't even begin to fathom. I was going to look for a science website but I joined here to track down that episode so now I'm posting lol. I really haven't kept up with science, but if anybody has real science links on inter dimension things, and theories about what might actually be around us that would be cool.

Originally posted by Macgyver151 View Post
    I'm not sure if I should post this here, under season 6, or a science website.
    You're mixing up things.

The main reason for stuff like ghosts is simply the way our brain works. You don't really see with your eyes, it's 80-90% your brain that sees. Real vision would be really blurry except for a small circle of sharpness in your focus area. Your brain fills in the details and makes it into one big clear picture. Furthermore, it uses it's own database of objects to continuously evaluate what's going on and so you recognize things: cups, chairs etc.

So far, that's when everything is going right. But our brain has a very strong capacity for discerning patterns to the point where it can discern patterns that aren't even there. If the person is biased towards seeing that pattern it becomes even stronger. This is why we have BS like people seeing skulls on mars: our ability to see patterns is too strong and if people are receptive to such ideas they'll only see such things easier.

The human body is simply highly imperfect and those imperfections means it malfunctions. Our brain is probably the biggest mess out there since it can be very easily "hacked". The simplest of these is that you shouldn't go to the grocery store when you're hungry, but it also involves seeing things that aren't there -or not seeing things that are-.

Sight Unseen involves a very different question, namely what if we did have a greater range of senses. Well, first of all we won't see aliens like that. X-ray is very much out of our sensing range but we can detect it. We ourselves can't hear really high or low pitch sounds but our machinery can. So a person who sees a ghost doesn't have a heightened sense of perception; it's merely their brain making decisions.

Comment

Working...
    X