No announcement yet.

The Defenders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was alluded to once when they were in the police station, I believe by Misty's captain (not by name, but just alluded to). But I agree it is curious that it didn't seem to be required of them. Civil War came out in May of last year and there was one point in Iron Fist that pegged that show to June 2016, so Defenders should absolutely be set in a time when the Accords are a legal requirement.

The only thing I can think of is if maybe the rule hasn't fully come into effect yet. The gears of government turn slowly, perhaps the regulation hasn't been completely rolled out yet? If it were the real world, I can certainly see certain places--New York in particular--challenging the Accords in court.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

It's possible it takes place before the Accords. The whole season takes place in a matter of days.

They have never been very forthright on the timeline of the Netflix shows. The only think that KIND OF hints as to when it happens is that Luke Cage *probably* happens before Agents of Shield season 4 because of that special bullet used.
      sigpic

Comment

That's not exactly how the accords operate. In the Civil War comic book the idea was to put all super powered individuals on a registry, however in the MCU the regulations in the accords are slightly different.

As stated in the MCU wiki:

The currently known regulations established by the Sokovia Accords include:

The Avengers will no longer be a private organization and will operate under the supervision of the United Nations.
        Any enhanced individuals who agree to sign must register with the United Nations and provide biometric data such as fingerprints and DNA samples.
        Those with innate powers must submit to a power analysis, which will categorize their threat level and determine potential health risks.
        Any enhanced individuals who do not sign will not be allowed to participate in any national or international conflict nor may participate in missions undertaken by the Avengers, S.H.I.E.L.D., or any other intelligence organization.
        Enhanced individuals, including members of the Avengers and S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, will no longer have the authorization to cross international boundaries at any time they wish.
        They must be given clearance by either a nation's government or the United Nations subcommittee before taking any action in that country, either on their own or as a part of an organization.
        If an enhanced individual takes unauthorized action or obstructs the actions of those acting in accordance with the Accords, they will be arrested.[1]
        Enhanced individuals who break the law, violate the Accords or are otherwise deemed to be a threat to the general public may be detained indefinitely without trial.
        All enhanced individuals with innate powers who agree to sign the Accords must wear tracking bracelets at all times.
        The creation of any and all artificial intelligence is strictly prohibited.
        For the purposes of the Accords, an "enhanced individual" is defined as any person, human or otherwise, with superhuman capabilities. This includes individuals whose powers are an innate function of their biology as well as individuals who utilize highly advanced technology to grant themselves superhuman capabilities.

However, individuals with advanced prostheses do not seem to be considered "enhanced", even if their prostheses give them capabilities beyond those of ordinary humans.

All non-enhanced individuals are subject to the same conditions as enhanced individuals, with Black Widow being required to sign so she could continue serving on the Avengers and Hawkeye being incarcerated after violating the Accords.
        So in other words it's not really about regulating powered people as such, but more about regulating how people who choose to be super heroes operate internationally.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I will hasten to point out that that section of the article only has a single citation, for one of those points.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            I will hasten to point out that that section of the article only has a single citation, for one of those points.
            True, but nevertheless there isn't much evidence to indicate in the films or SHIELD that all inhumans or other enhanced have to be registered for anything other that working for the Avengers or SHIELD.

Comment

Originally posted by Cmdr Sean Coll View Post
              I've just watched the entire "first season"??? of the The Defenders and 1 thing keeps coming to mind and that is the Sokovia Accords governing enhanced individuals. Not once did I hear the NYPD or the FBI mention them in relation to Jessica,Matt,Luke and Danny given they are enhanced and should be indexed as such under the accords.
              Maybe its set before those kick in?

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
              True, but nevertheless there isn't much evidence to indicate in the films or SHIELD that all inhumans or other enhanced have to be registered for anything other that working for the Avengers or SHIELD.
              True that. Shield was already "Indexing" People with powers, LONG before the accords came out.. Often by FORCE..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                Maybe its set before those kick in?

True that. Shield was already "Indexing" People with powers, LONG before the accords came out.. Often by FORCE..
                Yes but SHIELD in that form doesn't exist any more, while at the same they could olny index those enhanced they knew about.

Comment

Working...
                X