Pegasus dialling Milky Way planets aside from Earth - and vice versa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pegasus dialling Milky Way planets aside from Earth - and vice versa

Pegasus dialling Milky Way planets aside from Earth - and vice versa. Is it possible? (Without the use of Midway.)
    "If I should die, think only this of me: / That there's some corner of a foreign field / That is forever [Earth]."
    Earth is gone, but Atlantis must survive... Apoca!fic. Post-Season 5. John/Sam.

According to Mckay there was some sort of complication. I believe the reason was the 8th chevron crystal introduced in "home". (or rather, the absence thereof)

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
      According to Mckay there was some sort of complication. I believe the reason was the 8th chevron crystal introduced in "home". (or rather, the absence thereof)
      So it's not possible dialing from a gate that isn't on Atlantis? You'd need the 8th chevron crystal?
      "If I should die, think only this of me: / That there's some corner of a foreign field / That is forever [Earth]."

Comment

Originally posted by neela View Post
        So it's not possible dialing from a gate that isn't on Atlantis? You'd need the 8th chevron crystal?
        I believe that in Midway (or related episode) it was said that they had significant problems doing it and eventually just used two stargates. I would expect that it can be done, it's just not easy and it can't be done without modifications.

Comment

I believe that in Midway (or related episode) it was said that they had significant problems doing it and eventually just used two stargates. I would expect that it can be done, it's just not easy and it can't be done without modifications.
          Okay, thanks!

Comment

Atlantis' gate is the only one in the Pegasus galaxy that is capable of dialling an intergalactic gate address because it has a control crystal that allows the 8th chevron to lock.

The intergalactic gate bridge operated on the basis the each individual gate in the chain was within the normal (interstellar) dialling range of a gate. There were 32 gates in the chain, spanning a distance of 3 million light years or so, which means that each gate was within 93,750 light years of each other. That's the equivalent of establishing a wormhole from the one edge of the Galaxy to other edge.

Comment

The complication that happen in the Midway station was gate succession. Since the Pegasus Gate was a newer model it automatically claimed dominance in a sense when next to the older Milkway one. Similar to how two gates in the same area only the one with a DHD is functional. This was seen when the super hive was in earth orbit and how all incoming wormholes were directed to it. Mckay/Carter managed to keep each gate attached to their own network.

Now for the OPs question. I don't see why not just as long as the control crystal is present.
              If a Milky way gate has enough power it can dial any gate in Pegasus. Similar to how O'Neil was able to dial the Asgard homeworld from earth. And just like how two random gates (one Pegasus and the other milky way) were able to connect and then used an explosion to jump the wormhole to the super gate.

Comment

Originally posted by lvalen18 View Post
                The complication that happen in the Midway station was gate succession. Since the Pegasus Gate was a newer model it automatically claimed dominance in a sense when next to the older Milkway one. Similar to how two gates in the same area only the one with a DHD is functional. This was seen when the super hive was in earth orbit and how all incoming wormholes were directed to it. Mckay/Carter managed to keep each gate attached to their own network.
                Does that mean that with the Midway station gone, a Jumper would for instance have difficulty dialing the MW side of the gate bridge?

Originally posted by lvalen18 View Post
                Now for the OPs question. I don't see why not just as long as the control crystal is present.
                If a Milky way gate has enough power it can dial any gate in Pegasus. Similar to how O'Neil was able to dial the Asgard homeworld from earth. And just like how two random gates (one Pegasus and the other milky way) were able to connect and then used an explosion to jump the wormhole to the super gate.
                It seems the control crystal has been an extra measure to control the flow back to MW from Pegasus. To me, it begs the question of whether this was always the case (i.e. when the Pegasus gate network was originally seeded), or if the Ancients introduced the control crystal during the war with the Wraith. If the latter, I would imagine that it would still be possible to hijack a Pegasus DHD to override whatever lockout is preventing the dial of the eight chevron, much like Sam or Ba'al could hijack the MW network and change its galaxy-wide update program. However, it would probably require some highly specific equipment and training, so not everyone would be able to do it. And once the lockout is overridden, it would just be a question of getting enough power to make the intergalactic call, right?

Edit: I looked up the episode The Pegasus Project to see if it'd work with a normal MW and P gate. This is something I noted:

To warn the Odyssey near the black hole of the Wraith, Atlantis must first dial the SGC, which dials the Gamma site, which calls Teal'c next to the supergate, who in turns dials Pegasus and the Odyssey. That's a bit of a roundabout way, right? Now, is that because of sheer distances or because of the presence of the black hole (or both)? If distances, it could mean that Teal'c's gate and Odyssey's gate are so close that they are able to make a "normal" dial, whereas Atlantis and the Odyssey's gate are too far apart (somehow).
                Last edited by neela; 29 November 2015, 12:10 AM.

Comment

To warn the Odyssey near the black hole of the Wraith, Atlantis must first dial the SGC, which dials the Gamma site, which calls Teal'c next to the supergate, who in turns dials Pegasus and the Odyssey. That's a bit of a roundabout way, right? Now, is that because of sheer distances or because of the presence of the black hole (or both)? If distances, it could mean that Teal'c's gate and Odyssey's gate are so close that they are able to make a "normal" dial, whereas Atlantis and the Odyssey's gate are too far apart (somehow).
                  Atlantis could not contact Odyssey directly because of the black hole interference (and the fact that dialing a gate so close to a black hole is hugely problematic). Teal'cs gate was much further away (and next to a much smaller black hole) so he did not have troubles.

Atlantis likely didn't dial the Gamma site directly because they had no information on the best approach to contact teal'c. Furthermore, given the events of Matter of Time, the president likely established that the SGC was not allowed to dial a stargate around a black hole under any circumstances.

Comment

Atlantis could not contact Odyssey directly because of the black hole interference (and the fact that dialing a gate so close to a black hole is hugely problematic). Teal'cs gate was much further away (and next to a much smaller black hole) so he did not have troubles.

Atlantis likely didn't dial the Gamma site directly because they had no information on the best approach to contact teal'c. Furthermore, given the events of Matter of Time, the president likely established that the SGC was not allowed to dial a stargate around a black hole under any circumstances.
                    Atlantis couldn't dial the gamma site. They dialed earth, gave them the message, they called the gamma site, who relayed the message to Teal'c who told the Odyssey.

Comment

It seems the control crystal has been an extra measure to control the flow back to MW from Pegasus. To me, it begs the question of whether this was always the case (i.e. when the Pegasus gate network was originally seeded), or if the Ancients introduced the control crystal during the war with the Wraith. If the latter, I would imagine that it would still be possible to hijack a Pegasus DHD to override whatever lockout is preventing the dial of the eight chevron, much like Sam or Ba'al could hijack the MW network and change its galaxy-wide update program. However, it would probably require some highly specific equipment and training, so not everyone would be able to do it. And once the lockout is overridden, it would just be a question of getting enough power to make the intergalactic call, right?
                      A cohesive explanation here is tough because they introduced elements of intergalactic gate travel before that was going to become an important part of the show's universe. They never directly contradicted past events but also didn't go out of their way to come up with plausible explanations to fit it all together.

My thought is the MW gates were the second galaxy where the gates were built (after the Ori galaxy) and the ancients had no reason to place limitations on the gates, especially because they were the only ones using them. When they came to Pegasus and built Destiny they started thinking about the implications of intergalactic gate usage, especially if the Ori began expressing a desire to move across galaxies. So they left the MW gate system as it was because the ancients had a large presence to oversee the galaxy but wanted more limitations for other galaxies where that wasn't the case.

That doesn't explain why the Pegasus gates override the MW gates except maybe the newer technology unavoidably overrides or they wanted Atlantis to always be the overriding gate in MW.

Comment

Working...
                      X