Legends of Yesterday (408)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
    I just enjoyed the show...I wouldn't care if the actors were pink with purple polka-dots....
    What they did here reminds me of super racist movies from decades ago where they cast blatantly white actors as non white roles.
    "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by epg20 View Post
      well firstly, she was black, not Caucasian, so that was a twist, second, it would have taken a lot of time and money to cast those people for such a short amount of time.

well, we will see, the Lazarus pit was destroyed, so if he is planning to bring vandal back, he will need to find another way.
      You realize that these actors are going to be used in DC's Legends of Tomorrow, right? So, they just weren't cast for this one crossover episode.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
        What they did here reminds me of super racist movies from decades ago where they cast blatantly white actors as non white roles.
        You sound like the people complaining because Johnny Storm was black in the lastest Fantastic Four movie...and the people complaining because there's a black storm trooper in the new Star Wars movie. Yes, the roles were traditionally portrayed by caucasian actors, but there is nothing saying that they can't be black. Or maybe we should just go back to the time when all roles were portrayed by white men.
        sigpic

Comment

Of course there is no reason a stormtrooper would have to be white. But I'd say there IS reason that Ancient Egyptians wouldn't be white.

Or maybe we should just go back to the time when all roles were portrayed by white men.
          You realize I'm complaining that they are white, right? Even as sarcasm this is the opposite of what I'm saying.
          Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 04 December 2015, 11:19 AM.
          "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
            I actually assumed Ciara Renée was hispanic. But either way, I was mainly talking about Falk Hentschel, who played Hawkman. Out of all the people in history who look like you'd think would ever have been named Khufu, he looks like he the very last one. He's an un-Ancient Egyptian looking as you'll ever see. He and his incredibly white looking Pharaoh father, looked indefensibly out of place.

I honestly don't know what they could have been thinking with this casting choice. If they wanted to cast him, go with the alien backstory. If they wanted to make their backstory begin in Ancient Egypt, cast people who could have perhaps even vaguely passed for Ancient Egyptian royalty.

I actually kind of hope people call them out on this, because I feel like it's the type of thing hat deserve flack.

I think Renee is a mix of a lot of different ethnicities/races, however it is possible to be both 100% black and a 100% hispanic at the same time . But Egyptian isn't one of them. That part didn't bother me as much though, it was momentarily distracting but that's it. It's the magic that really bothered me. Though I do agree that whitewashing is not a good thing. However, I am used to seeing this, so meh (is that bad?).

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
            Really? That's what you guys are mad about? Not the absolutely atrocious 180 on Felicity's personality?

"I can't believe you didn't tell me about the son you just found out about an hour ago!"

...bull****.

Flash has all the good writers and it is really annoying.
            Felicity acting out of character is not nearly as bothersome as the magic. So GRRRRR magic GRRRR Hocus Pocus GRRRR I don't like that aspect of these comic book universes GRRRR.

You sound like the people complaining because Johnny Storm was black in the lastest Fantastic Four movie...and the people complaining because there's a black storm trooper in the new Star Wars movie. Yes, the roles were traditionally portrayed by caucasian actors, but there is nothing saying that they can't be black. Or maybe we should just go back to the time when all roles were portrayed by white men.
            I think this is entirely wrong. You see, changing historical people's skin color is a bit of a slap to the face. A storm trooper, well, nothing says he can't be black. A comic book character like Fire Storm...I can see how that is odd but not infuriating nor bothersome but they'll need to explain his relationship with Invisible Woman (didn't see the movie). But none of that compares with turning any positive image of non-white people into white people almost as if stating that minorities can only portray certain low level characters.

BUT I don't blame the writers of doing that and the casting people probably didn't think things through. It just bothered me at an intellectual level. Flash writers are really good at what they do and their casting people did a good job. Arrow casting too, but their writers aren't um...fully aware of how some of their characters act at times (like a certain ex-boyfriend of Felicity). I rate this as minimal... BUT not comparable to the whole black storm trooper thing, not by a long shot.
            By Nolamom
            sigpic

Comment

Dont go and See Gods of Egypt, a fim coming out in 2016 then...

Comment

Yes I'm familiar with that movie, I already saw the trailer. Heck, one of the heroes in that movie looks so white he almost seems like he was specifically intended to draw attention to how out of place he looks. They cast a white guy and then gave him blonde hair for the movie, even though he didn't have it naturally.

But that doesn't make doing it here any less wrong.

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
                  Really? That's what you guys are mad about? Not the absolutely atrocious 180 on Felicity's personality?

"I can't believe you didn't tell me about the son you just found out about an hour ago!"

...bull****.

Flash has all the good writers and it is really annoying.
                  It wasn't about the kid. It was about the fact that Oliver kinda knew about it even before he got the DNA test done and he was still keeping it from Felicity. They're supposed to be in a relationship and he didn't trust her enough with that information... Now granted, he probably could have said something along the lines of "I made a promise to someone not to say anything" but even then he was lying to Felicity about what he was doing for a a day or two before hand. He's kept secrets before but that was before they got together and even then part of them getting together was Oliver starting to be up front about everything with her.
                  Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Why couldn't Oliver lie to his baby mama about not telling Felicity? That is a question I can't answer. I mean, he is lying to his girlfriend (potential wife to be) by omission of truth. I somehow don't think lying to his baby mama is nearly as bad.
                    By Nolamom
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                      Why couldn't Oliver lie to his baby mama about not telling Felicity? That is a question I can't answer. I mean, he is lying to his girlfriend (potential wife to be) by omission of truth. I somehow don't think lying to his baby mama is nearly as bad.
                      Oliver does have a certain sense of honour. He gave him his word so therefore he'll keep it, even if she strong armed him into it. Granted that could be down to a certain level of guilt.

Comment

Does this new revelation of his son cause a spin on the gravestone scene in the opening episode? Maybe it's not one of the regulars killed off, but mummy?

I preferred The Flash part of this crossover, the writing for that seems so much more humorous than the Arrow writers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
                          Does this new revelation of his son cause a spin on the gravestone scene in the opening episode? Maybe it's not one of the regulars killed off, but mummy?

I preferred The Flash part of this crossover, the writing for that seems so much more humorous than the Arrow writers.
                          To be honest, I think the Flash writers are better overall. That or someone squandered this Arrow season. It doesn't seem to have a direction of its own other than setting up Legends of Tomorrow.
                          By Nolamom
                          sigpic

Comment

IMo yes, since we only saw Barry show up to it, who was the only other person who DID see the DNA test.

Comment

Good point. I didn't think of that... Hell it could be really dark and be the son with Darhk attempting to perform some form of blood magic or such.

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                                To be honest, I think the Flash writers are better overall. That or someone squandered this Arrow season. It doesn't seem to have a direction of its own other than setting up Legends of Tomorrow.
                                Yeah, more of the Legends setup happened on Arrow, but they have laid a decent foundation with Damien Darhk. He's my second favorite season villain (after Deathstroke), though I think the Flash writers pushed him a bit too far over the top.

Comment

Working...
                                X