Is Sam Jacob's first or second-born?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Sam Jacob's first or second-born?

I always got the impression that Mark was older but Sam's comment about her dad naming her Sam because he wanted a boy makes me wonder if she was actually the first- born. Because if Mark was already born, surely he wouldn't have wanted another son, right?

She was born in 1968 and he was born in 1971, so yes, he is the younger brother
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pookey View Post
      She was born in 1968 and he was born in 1971, so yes, he is the younger brother
      Where did you get that information?

His age was never made clear. And in the majority of fanfiction, he's written as older than Sam. If the info came from Wikipedia, that information is put in there by fans who often make assumptions about a bit of information.

Wikipedia also gives the names of Mark's two children as David and Lisa. That's an assumption; their names were never given at any time during the series.

They also gave Sam's mother's name as Debra, which was never stated during the series.
      Last edited by hedwig; 05 November 2015, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Claire98909 View Post
        I always got the impression that Mark was older but Sam's comment about her dad naming her Sam because he wanted a boy makes me wonder if she was actually the first- born. Because if Mark was already born, surely he wouldn't have wanted another son, right?
        A lot of guys would rather have boys than girls, so it isn't all that unusual for Sam to think her Dad may have wanted another boy.

Comment

I know a lot of women who would rather have boys than girls
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
            Where did you get that information?

His age was never made clear. And in the majority of fanfiction, he's written as older than Sam. If the info came from Wikipedia, that information is put in there by fans who often make assumptions about a bit of information.

Wikipedia also gives the names of Mark's two children as David and Lisa. That's an assumption; their names were never given at any time during the series.

They also gave Sam's mother's name as Debra, which was never stated during the series.
            Yes, i got it from Stargate Wiki, i confess
            sigpic

Comment

There is no canon data for it, so Mark could be older or younger, depending on what you think.

I personally think Mark is the oldest. He seems that way to me.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                Sam to think her Dad may have wanted another boy.
                Do you think Sam was just guessing that her dad named her Samantha because he wanted a boy? For some reason I got the impression that he had told her. Although I suppose that would be horrible of a father to say to his daughter, especially if he already had one son...

Comment

Do you think Sam was just guessing that her dad named her Samantha because he wanted a boy? For some reason I got the impression that he had told her. Although I suppose that would be horrible of a father to say to his daughter, especially if he already had one son...
                  Hard to say whether she was guessing. Some Dads treat their daughters like boys when growing up; teaching them all about sports and to do manly things. If Jacob did that, Sam could have guessed he would rather have had a boy.

My Dad really wanted a boy, but he and Mom had three girls before he finally got his boy. One of my sisters leans more towards activities that my Dad would think were appropriate for a boy, while my other sister and I were more girly than that.

So it's hard to say whether there was guessing involved in Sam's statement. You can make of it what you will, since they never followed it up in the series.

Comment

There is also the fact that, after her mother died, Jacob did the single father thing....and my impression is that, given his deployments and such, he was kinda tossed into the deep end in the child rearing department. So with Sam the only female in the house and with no maternal figure after a certain age, I'm sure the Carter household was very masculine and with an almost fumbling father. (the whole heart's in the right place, meant well but was in over his head' kinda situation)

All he might have had to do is be overheard saying how much easier things would have been with two sons for a young girl to have her feelings hurt. (not canon, pure speculation)
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X