Livewire (105)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Livestick View Post
    I probably wouldn't be watching TV in the first place if I had. Even if I was, I wouldn't care because TV and reality are separate. You'd have to be really oversensitive for something like that to bother you.
    Welcome to the US of 2015. We have been trained rather well, haven't we?

Ever hear of Lewis Napper's "Bill of No Rights" ?

ARTICLE II: You do not have the right to never be offended. This country is based on freedom, and that means freedom for everyone—not just you! You may leave the room, turn the channel, express a different opinion, etc., but the world is full of idiots, and probably always will be.

Comment

The purposes of holding back episodes like that isn't for the sake of the general public and the worry that people are "over sensitive". It has nothing to do with that. It's called good taste. Not to mention the fact that there may well be people out there who have friends or family in Paris and watch the show, and all general courtesy dictates that you don't give them a reminder of some tragic trauma when it's still raw in the mind.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Livestick View Post
        I probably wouldn't be watching TV in the first place if I had. Even if I was, I wouldn't care because TV and reality are separate. You'd have to be really oversensitive for something like that to bother you.
        You try having a family member die...and then see a similar death on television. If you're in the least bit human...it will affect you.

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
        The purposes of holding back episodes like that isn't for the sake of the general public and the worry that people are "over sensitive". It has nothing to do with that. It's called good taste. Not to mention the fact that there may well be people out there who have friends or family in Paris and watch the show, and all general courtesy dictates that you don't give them a reminder of some tragic trauma when it's still raw in the mind.
        I agree...
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
          You try having a family member die...and then see a similar death on television. If you're in the least bit human...it will affect you.
          Been there, done that.

Lung cancer claimed both my parents, roughly 15 years apart. That didn't give me any reasonable expectation that I wouldn't see horrific anti-smoking messages on TV, deaths from cancer on programs, etc.

Just have to deal with it, that's all there is too it.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
            Been there, done that.

Lung cancer claimed both my parents, roughly 15 years apart. That didn't give me any reasonable expectation that I wouldn't see horrific anti-smoking messages on TV, deaths from cancer on programs, etc.

Just have to deal with it, that's all there is too it.
            I feel for you, man. Same thing got my dad. But there's a difference between a disease and a sudden and unexpected death. We have time to start coming to terms with death when we see it coming, as tragic as it may be. Now granted, people every day die from sudden and unexpected means like car crashes and other accidents, but even then the human brain can wrap its head around that. But when it comes to violent death, that's tough for people to absorb and take in.

Comment

Just as Haven jiggered their presentation when a high school was shot up a few years back..

This is television. FICTION. It has nothing to do with real life. I'm getting sick and damned tired of everybody being so afraid of offending somebody. Or at least using that as an excuse.

Just goes to show you how effectively the perpetually offended / terminal whiners have "trained" our society.

Bombing, mass shootings, and whatever other sort of disaster you can think of are horrible events. And we all mourn the lives lost in these events.

But changing the TV schedule has 0 effect on these events, or the people that have lost loved ones. Maybe it's just a way TV execs like to fool themselves into thinking they're doing something about things they have no control over. But I'm tired of it.
              *passes the tinfoil to Annoyed* It's amazing how you can be angry about so many things at once.

So a week after 9/11 if they had shown a film about suicide bombers blowing themselves up in New York, you would be watching with a bowl of popcorn, right? Or would you think it was a bit insensitive because of how many people died?

Anyway I'm watching this one now, they have just been hit by lightning, every accident gives people superpowers in comic book land I'm surprised there are any non-superpowered people left

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
                *passes the tinfoil to Annoyed* It's amazing how you can be angry about so many things at once.

So a week after 9/11 if they had shown a film about suicide bombers blowing themselves up in New York, you would be watching with a bowl of popcorn, right? Or would you think it was a bit insensitive because of how many people died?

Anyway I'm watching this one now, they have just been hit by lightning, every accident gives people superpowers in comic book land I'm surprised there are any non-superpowered people left
                That's pretty much how it worked in Smallville, right?

Comment

How many times per week did we see replays of the towers coming down over the weeks after that? They certainly weren't required to spread the news about the attacks.

What is the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                    That's pretty much how it worked in Smallville, right?
                    And The Flash, and every superhero movie ever made

So.. the missing dad thing, he has to still be alive, right? Why cast TV Superman as the dad to only use him in the occasional flashback?

Anyone want to bet he has powers of his own now, and is in the freezer in the DEO base?

Comment

How many times per week did we see replays of the towers coming down over the weeks after that? They certainly weren't required to spread the news about the attacks.

What is the difference?
                      I do remember that they cancelled and moved things around as well as change plots to avoid 9/11 look a likes. We were...still sensitive to the events back then if I remember correctly.
                      By Nolamom
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                        I do remember that they cancelled and moved things around as well as change plots to avoid 9/11 look a likes. We were...still sensitive to the events back then if I remember correctly.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
                          CBS skipped episode 4. It's too soon for the network to be meddling with continuity.
                          I wasn't aware of the reason for the episode shuffle and don't hold it against them now that I know. I had assumed it was arbitrary network interference, an attitude that executives know better than showrunners. The actual reason is completely understandable. Edit: more than that, I support it. Supergirl is a global show, appearing on French television screens.
                          Last edited by Brother Freyr; 20 November 2015, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
                            I wasn't aware of the reason for the episode shuffle and don't hold it against them now that I know. I had assumed it was arbitrary network interference, an attitude that executives know better than showrunners. The actual reason is completely understandable. Edit: more than that, I support it. Supergirl is a global show, appearing on French television screens.
                            I concur!
                            sigpic

Comment

I'm of two minds honestly. Some of times when networks preempt shows because of tragedies is a little too sensitive. Pulling of shows during hurricanes for example. However their are times that I think it is appropriate. This is the latter for me.
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

And The Flash, and every superhero movie ever made

So.. the missing dad thing, he has to still be alive, right? Why cast TV Superman as the dad to only use him in the occasional flashback?

Anyone want to bet he has powers of his own now, and is in the freezer in the DEO base?
                                As an easter egg. Smallville had a bunch of actors from previous superman projects in 1-2 episodes. In fact, Dean Cain was the villain in one episode.

That said, I'm not willing to dismiss your idea out of hand, since it would be a good story.

Comment

Working...
                                X