Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Livewire (105)

Major General

Default Re: Livewire (105)

Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    Just as Haven jiggered their presentation when a high school was shot up a few years back..

This is television. FICTION. It has nothing to do with real life. I'm getting sick and damned tired of everybody being so afraid of offending somebody. Or at least using that as an excuse.

Just goes to show you how effectively the perpetually offended / terminal whiners have "trained" our society.

Bombing, mass shootings, and whatever other sort of disaster you can think of are horrible events. And we all mourn the lives lost in these events.

But changing the TV schedule has 0 effect on these events, or the people that have lost loved ones. Maybe it's just a way TV execs like to fool themselves into thinking they're doing something about things they have no control over. But I'm tired of it.
    *passes the tinfoil to Annoyed* It's amazing how you can be angry about so many things at once.

So a week after 9/11 if they had shown a film about suicide bombers blowing themselves up in New York, you would be watching with a bowl of popcorn, right? Or would you think it was a bit insensitive because of how many people died?

Anyway I'm watching this one now, they have just been hit by lightning, every accident gives people superpowers in comic book land I'm surprised there are any non-superpowered people left

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
    *passes the tinfoil to Annoyed* It's amazing how you can be angry about so many things at once.

So a week after 9/11 if they had shown a film about suicide bombers blowing themselves up in New York, you would be watching with a bowl of popcorn, right? Or would you think it was a bit insensitive because of how many people died?

Anyway I'm watching this one now, they have just been hit by lightning, every accident gives people superpowers in comic book land I'm surprised there are any non-superpowered people left
    That's pretty much how it worked in Smallville, right?
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Major

How many times per week did we see replays of the towers coming down over the weeks after that? They certainly weren't required to spread the news about the attacks.

What is the difference?

Major General

Quote Originally Posted by P-90_177 View Post
    That's pretty much how it worked in Smallville, right?
    And The Flash, and every superhero movie ever made

So.. the missing dad thing, he has to still be alive, right? Why cast TV Superman as the dad to only use him in the occasional flashback?

Anyone want to bet he has powers of his own now, and is in the freezer in the DEO base?

Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    How many times per week did we see replays of the towers coming down over the weeks after that? They certainly weren't required to spread the news about the attacks.

What is the difference?
    I do remember that they cancelled and moved things around as well as change plots to avoid 9/11 look a likes. We were...still sensitive to the events back then if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    I do remember that they cancelled and moved things around as well as change plots to avoid 9/11 look a likes. We were...still sensitive to the events back then if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Freyr View Post
    CBS skipped episode 4. It's too soon for the network to be meddling with continuity.
    I wasn't aware of the reason for the episode shuffle and don't hold it against them now that I know. I had assumed it was arbitrary network interference, an attitude that executives know better than showrunners. The actual reason is completely understandable. Edit: more than that, I support it. Supergirl is a global show, appearing on French television screens.
    Last edited by Brother Freyr; November 20th, 2015 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Freyr View Post
    I wasn't aware of the reason for the episode shuffle and don't hold it against them now that I know. I had assumed it was arbitrary network interference, an attitude that executives know better than showrunners. The actual reason is completely understandable. Edit: more than that, I support it. Supergirl is a global show, appearing on French television screens.
    I concur!

I'm of two minds honestly. Some of times when networks preempt shows because of tragedies is a little too sensitive. Pulling of shows during hurricanes for example. However their are times that I think it is appropriate. This is the latter for me.
    Jelgate is right

And The Flash, and every superhero movie ever made

So.. the missing dad thing, he has to still be alive, right? Why cast TV Superman as the dad to only use him in the occasional flashback?

Anyone want to bet he has powers of his own now, and is in the freezer in the DEO base?
    As an easter egg. Smallville had a bunch of actors from previous superman projects in 1-2 episodes. In fact, Dean Cain was the villain in one episode.

That said, I'm not willing to dismiss your idea out of hand, since it would be a good story.

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    That there is.. Especailly after the clips of his eyes glowing.
    Spoiler:

are you telling me that you haven't figured out who that is, it is either miss martian-M'gann M'orzz-Megan Morse, or-J'onn J'onzz-john jones the martian man hunter, my bet is that it is miss martian.

Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Starsaber View Post
    As an easter egg. Smallville had a bunch of actors from previous superman projects in 1-2 episodes. In fact, Dean Cain was the villain in one episode.

That said, I'm not willing to dismiss your idea out of hand, since it would be a good story.
    If he had been cast as a cameo role, her father on Krypton who could only appear in the opening scenes of the pilot or in flashbacks/dream sequences, then I would be willing to accept the character is dead and gone and not coming back. But because he's one of the better known actors to play Superman in the role as her father on Earth, and they just now announced a mysterious past and a death under suspicious circumstances relating to another character who isn't what he seems. It just makes it seem much more likely that they're going to find him alive.

Quote Originally Posted by epg20 View Post
    Spoiler:

are you telling me that you haven't figured out who that is, it is either miss martian-M'gann M'orzz-Megan Morse, or-J'onn J'onzz-john jones the martian man hunter, my bet is that it is miss martian.
    That's my guess. A black man with glowing red eyes (who fights bad aliens), is either an obvious giveway or a clever misdirect. If Smallville can have him, Supergirl can too. But we're still guessing, and I was slightly less certain after this episode's flashback.

Major General

This episode's flashback could be before he was replaced by the glowy eyed duplicate..

Maybe he's with the dad, wherever they are

I get a sinister vibe from the glowy eye thing. So no, not Martian Manhunter.

I get a sinister vibe from the glowy eye thing. So no, not Martian Manhunter.
    He doesn't need to be warm and fuzzy. Presumably, he's been here a very long time. He's probably displeased by all the chaos brought along with Kal-El and Kara.

Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by P-90_177 View Post
    The purposes of holding back episodes like that isn't for the sake of the general public and the worry that people are "over sensitive". It has nothing to do with that. It's called good taste.
    Couldn't green you twice, so have some more virtual green!

++||++

Onwards to the episode as I wasn't watching Supergirl at the time of the Paris attacks. I think I just came back from the cinema but can't be sure. I do remember commenting something was going down in Paris.

Anyway... Livewire

It's Thanksgiving time and so the Danvers (D'Anvers (FR) -> Of Antwerp (ENG) -> Van Antwerpen (D)) meet as a family, which apparently is always good fun.
    And the Danvers are no exception apparently, and when Elizah Danvers calls Alex by her full name, stuff gets real.

Poor Alex though, always feeling like she's not good enough, and unable to compete with Kara. Not protecting enough, not taking care of the little sister enough, never good enough. Living up to a certain view is hard (I know).
    And Kara trying hard to put the pieces back together.

In the meantime, Cat Grant makes an enemy out of another protegé who comes back to haunt her as a ball of sentient electricity.
    That was some wicked cool special effects, and Livewire is deliciously corrupted by the power of it.

Cat and Supergirl team up to beat Lifewire -- epic fighting ensues which ends in a splash.

Alex and her mother make up and then she tells them about Henk Henshaw and what didn't happen to their father.

The flashbacks were nice.

"Best pie in the galaxy. And I have been to 12 different planets so I mean that in the most literal of ways."
    -- it must be true.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12