Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Trek: Discovery (Speculation/Discussion/Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer & Teaser.

Comment

From Star Trek Magazine (#75), which also includes Picard articles.

Jonathan Frakes Talks Directing The Far Future For ‘Star Trek Discovery’ Season 3

The second season ended with Martin-Green’s Burnham in the red angel suit flying ahead and leading the USS Discovery through a wormhole into the distant future. Some preview images and clips for the third season have shown Burnham along with a new character (Book, played by David Ajala) on some planet. Frakes’ comment indicates she and the rest of the Discovery crew will remain separated for the first couple of episodes.

The third season finds the crew of the USS Discovery 930 years in the future, setting the show beyond all known Star Trek canon. Frakes told STM about the practicalities of this challenge.

They are all so thrilled. That’s the adventure, technically, financially, emotionally. You can create worlds that nobody has seen before because you’re not limited by anything. That’s freeing. But it’s also completely exhausting because even a show this big has to stay on a budget. Everything can’t be created digitally. Some of the stuff has to be real. We just have to have some things you can touch. In the future, obviously, there could be a lot of stuff that’s holographic or where your mind is connected to something. These are all things we know are coming, just from the way we use our iPhones to run our lives and plan our trips. So, finding a future that’s futuristic but is practical to shoot has been fascinating. You can’t get caught up in the technology. It is about maintaining a basic core of why we’re there, which is to tell emotionally compelling stories. That has been the driving force, as opposed to the other way around. Nobody is making the mistake of, “This has to look cool.” It’s great when things look cool, but if you don’t give a damn about the people or what’s happening, it doesn’t matter.

Comment

Originally posted by EricG View Post
        From Star Trek Magazine (#75), which also includes Picard articles.

Jonathan Frakes Talks Directing The Far Future For ‘Star Trek Discovery’ Season 3

The second season ended with Martin-Green’s Burnham in the red angel suit flying ahead and leading the USS Discovery through a wormhole into the distant future. Some preview images and clips for the third season have shown Burnham along with a new character (Book, played by David Ajala) on some planet. Frakes’ comment indicates she and the rest of the Discovery crew will remain separated for the first couple of episodes.

The third season finds the crew of the USS Discovery 930 years in the future, setting the show beyond all known Star Trek canon. Frakes told STM about the practicalities of this challenge.
        Isn't that Agent Daniels' time period though? Or captain Braxton...or is this an "A leads to B which leads to C" type situation?
        By Nolamom
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
          Isn't that Agent Daniels' time period though? Or captain Braxton...or is this an "A leads to B which leads to C" type situation?
          Nope. Braxton and that iteration of Starfleet is from the 29th Century. Daniels is from the 31st. Discovery is on their way to the late 32nd Century.
          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
            Nope. Braxton and that iteration of Starfleet is from the 29th Century. Daniels is from the 31st. Discovery is on their way to the late 32nd Century.
            True. From what I was able to gather by the trailer, it seems that something has gone horribly tragically wrong by the 32nd Century. It'd be interesting if Discovery ends up into the 25th Century at some point, maybe the following season? And then just sticking there. Or they get recruited by whatever time travelling agency whose attention they attract in the process.
            By Nolamom
            sigpic

Comment

True. From what I was able to gather by the trailer, it seems that something has gone horribly tragically wrong by the 32nd Century. It'd be interesting if Discovery ends up into the 25th Century at some point, maybe the following season? And then just sticking there. Or they get recruited by whatever time travelling agency whose attention they attract in the process.
              My current theory still hasn't really changed from when I first saw the trailer.

I reckon that Starfleet or some other party began to utilise the Omega Molecule as a power source or as a weapon and there was an explosion that has cut off large portions of the Federation from itself, hence why the flag we see in the teasers has so few stars on it. It's literally the few planets of the Federation that can still interact with each other via warp. Enter Discovery with its Spore Drive and suddenly the galaxy can be opened up again. I highly doubt they'll end up going back in time again from this point. But if there is any time travel at all it'll just be for Georgiou as she goes back to a time to continue her S31 work, but I can foresee that it'd be just as likely that after the end of the season when things are starting to look up for the Federation again that she will take it upon herself to start a new Section 31 because there are threats to this renewed Federation that Saru and Burnham aren't willing to handle practically.

Comment

a time machine called "Trax?"

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                  a time machine called "Trax?"
                  I don't know the reference but I was voting for Dulmer and Lucsly from that one DS9 episode (I read the Department of Temporal Investigations book series, those guys are pretty cool).

Episode 1 Season 4:
                  Burnham: Time travel
                  *Portal opens and two agents step through it*
                  Dulmer: Where are we?
                  Lucsly: On the USS Discovery NCC-1031
                  Dulmer: I hate this ship even more than the Enterprise.
                  Lucsly: Which one?
                  Dulmer: All of them.
                  Burnham: Wait...what do you mean all of them? Who are you? The Vulcan Science Directorate has declared...
                  Dulmer: You're not a Vulcan.
                  Lucsly: Great, she's confused. Temporal Dementia.
                  Burnham: Uh....*Shots first and kills them both* Sorry, haphazardly shooting my way out of a situation irregardless of the consequences is kinda my thing.
                  By Nolamom
                  sigpic

Comment

I don't know the reference but I was voting for Dulmer and Lucsly from that one DS9 episode (I read the Department of Temporal Investigations book series, those guys are pretty cool).

Episode 1 Season 4:
                    Burnham: Time travel
                    *Portal opens and two agents step through it*
                    Dulmer: Where are we?
                    Lucsly: On the USS Discovery NCC-1031
                    Dulmer: I hate this ship even more than the Enterprise.
                    Lucsly: Which one?
                    Dulmer: All of them.
                    Burnham: Wait...what do you mean all of them? Who are you? The Vulcan Science Directorate has declared...
                    Dulmer: You're not a Vulcan.
                    Lucsly: Great, she's confused. Temporal Dementia.
                    Burnham: Uh....*Shots first and kills them both* Sorry, haphazardly shooting my way out of a situation irregardless of the consequences is kinda my thing.
                    There used to be a TV show called "Time Trax" where some criminals used a time machine called "Trax" to travel in time and so a cop had to follow them in order to apprehend them

Comment

ComicBook has an interview with Frakes. Teases season 3:
                      "Discovery has primarily to do with Sonequa's character, as you'll see. At the end of season two, we flash-forwarded I think 930 years. Michael Burnham has found a new core, not to mention a new partner in crime. So again, there's a big tonal shift on that show, less driven by the pain and guilt of her past and more about the magical reunification of the Discovery crew and wherever she went off to," Frankes said. "God knows where she went as the Red Angel. So those two things coming back together is very much the theme, and how grateful everyone is and what's next. It's got a lot of action-adventure and not so much pain."

Comment

There used to be a TV show called "Time Trax" where some criminals used a time machine called "Trax" to travel in time and so a cop had to follow them in order to apprehend them
                        He has one weapon and a computer named Selma.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
                          He has one weapon and a computer named Selma.
                          yep....if I recall I think the show was rather short-lived

Comment

yep....if I recall I think the show was rather short-lived
                            Two seasons. About a par for early 90's sci-fi.

Comment

https://trekmovie.com/2020/06/04/jas...s-prime-lorca/

It's probably never going to happen, but I would love to see Jason Isaacs as Lorca again, maybe not in his own show, but maybe in that Section 31 series or even in Strange New Worlds.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
                                https://trekmovie.com/2020/06/04/jas...s-prime-lorca/

It's probably never going to happen, but I would love to see Jason Isaacs as Lorca again, maybe not in his own show, but maybe in that Section 31 series or even in Strange New Worlds.
                                TPTB themselves haven't ruled out a return of Lorca. I think they left the fate of Prime Lorca intentionally vague for that reason.

Comment

Working...
                                X