Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Trek: Discovery (Speculation/Discussion/Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sets and stages in Vancouver; Toronto will probably be where they do all the on-location filming.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I have read many sources that say they are filming in Toronto this fall ? Hope it's true
      sigpic
      Kenton Canada

Comment

Ah... oh well... I don't mind. Lots of actors in the Toronto area they can cast.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Perhaps i need to move to toronto for a few months..

Comment

No way will this be out by January then. Not with filming going through to March next year.

Comment

From SDCC in just the last 30-60 minutes:
              • The show is titled Star Trek: Discovery
              • A teaser reveal video was shown, introducing the USS Discovery
              • You may have noted the design is Ralph McQuarrie's Enterprise design from the abandoned Star Trek: Phase II TV series from the '70s
              • According to my buddies at GeekLegacy.com (who were at the Trek panel) the show WILL be set in the Prime universe, not the Kelvin Timeline of the reboot films!

edit;
              For reference: Ralph McQuarrie's concept art, ca. 1976-77
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                From SDCC in just the last 30-60 minutes:
                • The show is titled Star Trek: Discovery
                • A teaser reveal video was shown, introducing the USS Discovery
                • You may have noted the design is Ralph McQuarrie's Enterprise design from the abandoned Star Trek: Phase II TV series from the '70s
                • According to my buddies at GeekLegacy.com (who were at the Trek panel) the show WILL be set in the Prime universe, not the Kelvin Timeline of the reboot films!

edit;
                For reference: Ralph McQuarrie's concept art, ca. 1976-77
                Love the title.

Love the ship's name.

Always hated the ship design since seeing the concept art for Star Trek: Phase II and very disappointed that TPTB resurrected it for this new show.

Happy that it isn't set in the "Kelvin Timeline".

Hope the CGI improves before the show actually airs.

Looking forward to learning what the storyline is and when in the timeline the show takes place.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by planet_tv View Post
                  I would choose the Beta quadrant but I'm curious to see what others would choose.
                  So far they have only really shown the Alpha and Delta quadrants.. So i would LOVE some more expansion into the beta or gamma quadrants..

If it gets set on a starship which class of ship would you like the ship to be or would you like a new class?

My choices would be one of these:
                  1. Akira-class
                  2. New Orleans class
                  3. Challenger class
                  4. Nebula-class
                  5. Yeager-type
                  6. Some new class
                  Of THAT list, i wouldn't mind the Akira..
                  For potential 'others..
                  Steamrunner, Centaur, Kelvin, Miranda, Newton, Norway, Soyuz..

My overall thoughts on the series would be this:
                  I would like it to have one thing in common with DS9, well sort of. DS9's primary setting was a space station and it's secondary setting from season 3 and up was a Defiant-class starship, so I'd like to see this series be the opposite of that. Its primary setting would be a starship of some class and its secondary setting a space station. I would also like to see it as far out as you can get in a quadrant while still being able to get back to Earth if need be. The starship could dock at the space station anytime it fit the storyline.
                  [/COLOR][/FONT]
                  I wouldn't mind that either.

Originally posted by Science View Post
                  Any quadrant we haven't been too before, and all new classes of ships. I like your idea of having a default station to return to. Would be kind of neat if we had a few standard ships with crews we could get to know, major ship upgrades each season, and countless new species and technologies to learn about.
                  Unfortunately not really. DS9 did a lot with the Gamma quadrant, and both Romulus and the klingon homeworld are in the Beta...

Now technically, you can say we have explored the Delta quadrant cause of Voyager, but there's still a lot to explore..

Comment

From TrekMovie.com:

The Discovery’s Design
                    During the press conference, Fuller responded to a question from Access Hollywood’s Scott Mantz regarding how much influence an early conceptual design for Star Trek: The Motion Picture of the Enterprise had influenced the U.S.S. Discovery by stating “[it was] to a point where we legally can’t comment on it until we figure out some things.” When Trekmovie.com asked Kadin if the teaser for Star Trek: Discovery featured the final design of the ship, music, and logo, she laughed and said “NO! I was surprised Bryan didn’t say that, actually. I mean, we had three weeks to throw that together. We wanted to show fans…we’re super-excited by the score that this amazing composer, Phil Eisner, threw together as an audition and he did an incredible job. The concepts of the ship are totally what we’re going for and they’ll be honed up until, I think, the day we deliver.”

The Importance of Continuing to Push Boundaries
                    The Hall H panel on Star Trek’s 50th Anniversary and the press conference very much focused on the franchise’s role in pushing boundaries and promoting a better future, which is something that is clearly on Discovery showrunner Fuller’s mind. He said, “The state of this country right now terrifies me and saddens me and I feel like we need something like Star Trek to remind us that, collectively as a human race we’re going to get our **** together, and we’re going to build a better future, and we have to start working much harder on that today.”

Kadin confirmed to Trekmovie.com that Discovery would feature female, minority, and LGBTQ characters as she felt modern television did not accurately represent those groups in television shows featuring predominantly-caucasian casts. On the subject of LGBTQ characters specifically, Kadin commented that “is something that’s very important to Bryan [Fuller], and very important to all of us to portray.”

During a press conference, Kadin told TrekMovie that she feels a strong responsibility to make sure that women are represented both on and off the screen during the production of Discovery.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                      Kadin confirmed to Trekmovie.com that Discovery would feature female, minority, and LGBTQ characters as she felt modern television did not accurately represent those groups in television shows featuring predominantly-caucasian casts. On the subject of LGBTQ characters specifically, Kadin commented that “is something that’s very important to Bryan [Fuller], and very important to all of us to portray.”
                      What is she smoking?? LGBTQ are not represented in modern TV Shows?

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                        What is she smoking?? LGBTQ are not represented in modern TV Shows?
                        Unfortunately they are either token-characters, killed off or not really used for much else than to stand around. In most TV-shows. Or stereotyped, but that's not exclusive to LGBTQ characters. Or my favorite -- character is killed, and then we learn they were LBTQ ...

Kinda like the token black or Asian character... which Rizzolli & Isles is very much guilty off. When Lee Thompson Young died, he was the only African-American character on the show. The character wasn't recast as they felt that was a disservice to his memory. Instead they hired someone new, a different character filling a slightly different part, yet still performing the IT-part of Young's character. Our newbie, Idara Victor, felt like the token African-American, filling in for the other one we'd lost. Her character is awesome, but it still feels like a token add.
                        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

As long as exploration and discoveries and adventure is at the core of the show and they don't get overwhelmed by their characters then the character can be what ever the writers want them to be.

They got a hell of a lot of work to do on the show and it's CGI between now and January, Fan productions look better than what they server up at SDCC. January still seems way to optimistic to me, especially given zero cast announcements and they are still building the sets. An the sorry state the current lot of CGI is in.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                            As long as exploration and discoveries and adventure is at the core of the show and they don't get overwhelmed by their characters then the character can be what ever the writers want them to be.

They got a hell of a lot of work to do on the show and it's CGI between now and January, Fan productions look better than what they server up at SDCC. January still seems way to optimistic to me, especially given zero cast announcements and they are still building the sets. An the sorry state the current lot of CGI is in.
                            I suspect they did that a bit on the quick. Maybe they were hoping to make other announcements at SDCC but it fell through or got delayed so they opted to unveil the ship.
                            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I'm glad to hear that this is going to be in the prime universe. Does anyone know what the show is about? The preview just shows the ship.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
                                I'm glad to hear that this is going to be in the prime universe. Does anyone know what the show is about? The preview just shows the ship.
                                From the ship design, pre kirk, during kirk or during the era between kirk and Picard seem likely to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X