Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Trek: Discovery (Speculation/Discussion/Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, this one will be theater time.

But isn't this thread about the upcoming TV series?

Comment

My assumption from what I read is the pilot would air on CBS but the rest of the series would air on CBS All access.

http://www.startrek.com/article/new-...but-in-january

I didn't happen to see this mentioned in this thread but the new series will be filmed in Canada.

http://www.startrek.com/article/new-...lming-location

I think it would be interesting if the new series was set in the Beta Quadrant but as to where in the timeline I don't know.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
        Yeah, this one will be theater time.

But isn't this thread about the upcoming TV series?
        Sorry, got it mixed up somehow....

Comment

Originally posted by planet_tv View Post
          My assumption from what I read is the pilot would air on CBS but the rest of the series would air on CBS All access.

http://www.startrek.com/article/new-...but-in-january

I didn't happen to see this mentioned in this thread but the new series will be filmed in Canada.

http://www.startrek.com/article/new-...lming-location

I think it would be interesting if the new series was set in the Beta Quadrant but as to where in the timeline I don't know.
          This stinks...I don't have CBS All Access...
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
            This stinks...I don't have CBS All Access...
            Yeah. And considering this would literally be the only thing CBS makes that I'd be watching, no way I'll be shelling out for their service for one show. If they even end up offering it in Canada.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I think we are likely to see more shows using this business model in the future, particularly with shows that are expensive to produce, such as a "Star Trek".
              They have to make money somehow, and since shows like this often don't draw a broadcast audience large enough to cover costs of production. And the cable cutters are growing more numerous as well.
              Combine this with various pay services competing to have the viewers dollar I read today that Netflix will have exclusive rights to Lucasfilm, Disney and one other? company's future offerings.
              In 5 - 10 years, we will probably have to carry subscriptions to numerous streaming networks to be able to get at most of the popular content.

Comment

It's been so long since Enterprise ended, Star Trek should always have a show going. One can only hope that report is accurate in that this is not a reboot TV series.

Comment

They have now recruited to the series's writing staff Kirsten Beyer. Beyer is known to extended Trek universe fans as the author of 10 Star Trek Voyager novels--two set during the series, eight in the ever-expanding-expanded universe set after all the Prime Universe shows ended--as well as having two more VOY novels still in the pipe.

For those keeping score at home, the list of people involved in this show who have been involved in the Prime Trek universe is getting ever-expansive...

Showrunner: Bryan Fuller, previously wrote 2 DS9 eps + 20 VOY eps
                  Exec Producer: Rod Roddenberry, son of Gene Roddenberry
                  Producer & Consulting Writer: Nick Meyer, writer/director of TWOK & TUC, writer on TVH
                  Writer: Kirsten Beyer, author of 12 VOY novels
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

People who know the 'verse.
                    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

That's a good line up Nice to see some Voyager people.

Comment

If you get CBS All Access just to watch this show it will only cost about $2 per episode, plus you'll have everything else that they offer for a few months. I think it's worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Science View Post
                          If you get CBS All Access just to watch this show it will only cost about $2 per episode, plus you'll have everything else that they offer for a few months. I think it's worth it.
                          I don't even know if they offer CBS All Access here. Is this something you have to watch on a computer? It hate watching shows on my PC unless I absolutely have to.
                          Last edited by LtColCarter; 01 June 2016, 12:13 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

CBS is a US company so I would think availability of their All Access service in TX is a pretty safe bet. For those of us outside the US though? Questionable.

Their other selling point of 'our whole catalogue!' does kind of make me chuckle, though. I was looking at their productions the other day and there is literally not one single other program they produce that I either watch or am interested in watching

Comment

I'm hoping that those outside the US get to see it on TV so they can review it and give their option on whether or not it's any good. If the show gets a lot of good reviews then I will get the DVDs and check it out.

Now if you had to choose which quadrant the show was primarily set in, which one would you choose?

I would choose the Beta quadrant but I'm curious to see what others would choose.

If it gets set on a starship which class of ship would you like the ship to be or would you like a new class?

My choices would be one of these:
                              1. Akira-class
                              2. New Orleans class
                              3. Challenger class
                              4. Nebula-class
                              5. Yeager-type
                              6. Some new class

My overall thoughts on the series would be this:
                              I would like it to have one thing in common with DS9, well sort of. DS9's primary setting was a space station and it's secondary setting from season 3 and up was a Defiant-class starship, so I'd like to see this series be the opposite of that. Its primary setting would be a starship of some class and its secondary setting a space station. I would also like to see it as far out as you can get in a quadrant while still being able to get back to Earth if need be. The starship could dock at the space station anytime it fit the storyline.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                                CBS is a US company so I would think availability of their All Access service in TX is a pretty safe bet. For those of us outside the US though? Questionable.

Their other selling point of 'our whole catalogue!' does kind of make me chuckle, though. I was looking at their productions the other day and there is literally not one single other program they produce that I either watch or am interested in watching
                                True, but I don't see it as something I can subscribe to via my TV/phone/internet provider. So, while it may be available in the DFW area...it is not available through the company I use.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X