Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Trek: Discovery (Speculation/Discussion/Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The second more subtle (and, perhaps more important) reason that fans are turned off by the move to only All Access is the fear that it may spell the beginning of the end for a show that hasn’t even aired yet. CBS is using Star Trek to anchor their streaming service. If you want to watch it, you’ve gotta subscribe, so they are banking on enough people paying to see Trek to help the budding service grow.

But, what about the undoubtedly significant number of fans for whom a streaming service is too much of a barrier? All Access strikes fear into the heart of some for two main reasons. First, Star Trek fans tend to skew older. Many of our beloved elder Trekkies (the ones you’re jealous of for getting to watch TOS during it’s original run) are now supposed to navigate the world of streaming television, where they have to buy a new “set top box” and subscribe to some new fangled technology. If grandma needs a detailed set of instructions to confidently operate the remote control, there’s no way she would understand All Access.

Old (and old-at-heart) people aside, what about people with only a passing interest in Star Trek? The new movies did do good for the franchise by stirring up interest in lots of only semi-interested would-be Trekkies (who then went back and watched the television series’ on Netflix). But, would they pay $6/month for one show that they may or may not care about? Probably not.

Star Trek has been used to bolster a new network before, and we all remember how well that turned out for the ratings.

This is not to say that the move to exclusive online is a bad one. CBS may just be on to something here, and if they have enough confidence in Star Trek to use it to anchor their streaming service, let’s hope they at least put their money where their mouth is and give the show a decent budget (and, more importantly, a great set of writers and show runners).
    full article

$6\month is a lot of money when you really only want one show (who cares about old content I can already access or new content I already get on TV?)

I also completely agree this is a huge barrier for many for multiple reasons, especially the casual viewer who has only seen the new movies but would tune in (and boost ratings) if it was on TV.
    sigpic

Comment

I wonder if this streaming is part of the on-demand that I get with Uverse?
      sigpic

Comment

First, Star Trek fans tend to skew older. Many of our beloved elder Trekkies (the ones you’re jealous of for getting to watch TOS during it’s original run) are now supposed to navigate the world of streaming television, where they have to buy a new “set top box” and subscribe to some new fangled technology. If grandma needs a detailed set of instructions to confidently operate the remote control, there’s no way she would understand All Access.
        This would be offset by the higher overall comfort factor that people interested in Star Trek have with technology as a whole..

Sci Fi fans tend to DVR more than most, for example.

I'm old enough where I did watch TOS first run, and today's A/V technology is no mystery to me.

Comment

Spimman's idea is a good one - bingewatch when it'sll available.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            Spimman's idea is a good one - bingewatch when it'sll available.
            It won't work if lasts to S2. I think it's worth mentioning that their are other shows on All Access
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

it could be something completely different, like this, this is a fan done short movie, and I think it is fantastic.

Star Trek: Aurora--Complete

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                I wonder if this streaming is part of the on-demand that I get with Uverse?
                I'm wondering the same thing, but it isn't sounding that way.

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                It won't work if lasts to S2. I think it's worth mentioning that their are other shows on All Access
                One month at $6 per year could get each season instead on an ongoing $6\month fee from January - April\May.

What other shows are exclusively on CBS All Access? The site didn't specify on my quick look, I have access to all braodcast CBS content through DirecTV.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                  I'm wondering the same thing, but it isn't sounding that way.

One month at $6 per year could get each season instead on an ongoing $6\month fee from January - April\May.

What other shows are exclusively on CBS All Access? The site didn't specify on my quick look, I have access to all braodcast CBS content through DirecTV.
                  I have access to CBS direct broadcasts and on-demand content from U-Verse. However, I just looked at this "All-Access" crap...and I don't see anything that is an "All-Access" exclusive. They have the current CBS shows...as well as shows that are considered "classic."
                  sigpic

Comment

Surprised no one's posted this yet.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-s...r-trek-series/
                    Meh...

Comment

Same story at TrekMovie.com, suggests a third timeline?

According to Variety, “The creative plan is for the series to introduce new characters and civilizations, existing outside of the mythology charted by previous series and the current movie franchise.”
                      Also, quite nice to see that DS9 is his favourite Trek series. That's promising.

For the record, his Trek writing credits include
                      DS9: The Darkness and the Light
                      DS9: Empok Nor
                      VOY: The Raven
                      VOY: Mortal Coil
                      VOY: Retrospect
                      VOY: Living Witness
                      VOY: Drone
                      VOY: Bride of Chaotica!
                      VOY: Gravity
                      VOY: Dark Frontier (Part 1)
                      VOY: Course Oblivion
                      VOY: Juggernaut
                      VOY: Relativity
                      VOY: Barge of the Dead
                      VOY: Alice
                      VOY: One Small Step
                      VOY: Spirit Folk
                      VOY: Fury
                      VOY: The Haunting of Deck Twelve
                      VOY: Flesh and Blood (Parts 1 & 2)
                      VOY: Workforce (Parts 1 & 2)
                      VOY: Friendship One

A number of VOY episodes that I actually didn't hate. Interesting.
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

While he's mentioned a few times over the years that he wanted a crack at a new trek series, I'm still a little surprised that he's actually going back to the franchise considering he's pretty hot right now. This might be his passion project.

He might be to star trek what Russell t Davies was to Doctor Who: Someone who loves and respects the franchise but isn't afraid to slay a few sacred cows and modernize when necessary.
                        Last edited by lgm89; 10 February 2016, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                          I'd actually rather it was set either in the late 23rd or early 24th Centuries. I got tired of all the mega tech in Voyager and the later movies. It just felt like they could do anything.
                          Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing a series done with either the Enterprise-B, Enterprise-C, or the Stargazer

Comment

Holy crap: the new series has now added Nicholas Meyer as a writer and exec producer!
                            http://www.scifistream.com/2016/02/s...icholas-meyer/
                            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

That is good news. Looking forward to this, even though I didn't like the new movies

Comment

My name is Annoyed and I approve of this addition.

Comment

Working...
                                X