Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Trek: Discovery (Speculation/Discussion/Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So say we all. This is currently the best scifi tv show on the market, so I am so happy for them in spite of the negative trolls eveywhere. I wish they could have got season 4-5 order as well.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

This is pretty hilarious...a 1979 reviewer’s reaction to The Motion Picture changing the look of the Klingons. Haters, take note
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Looks like Captain Pike isn’t returning for Season 3. I’m not surprised, but I am disappointed.

https://trekmovie.com/2019/03/18/rep...very-season-3/
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Shame. I know they have other stories to tell but it would have been nice to see him in some capacity even if it wasn’t as Discovery’s Captain. Hope he gets his promotion to fleet captain out of this though.
          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Some interesting words from Alex Kurtzman during an interview at PaleyFest.

It came up a few times during the Q&Athat elements of Discovery that have been confusing will all make sense this season; when asked if there would be a satisfying answer to fans’ questions, Kurtzman went so far as to say:
            I damn well think so, yes.
            and elaborated by saying
            We are entirely aware of everyone’s questions and criticisms; I’ve read everything, and I see where everyone’s like, ‘Well, the spore drive never existed!’ and ‘What, Discovery was never around!’ and all of those things, we’re totally aware. You will get an answer.

Hmmmmmm

Comment

I'm not sure I want there to be an answer though. I mean I don't need those questions answered. This is a new show with a new style. The spore drive was a top secret project that didn't work out. Spock never mentioned Burnham for the same reason he never mention Sybok or even Sarek until he had to. He's just a private guy. They really shouldn't have to feel a need to spoonfeed us this stuff.
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

No I agree. I don’t think there’s a great need to explain anything, particularly since the haters are going to moan no matter what. I’m content for the show to carry on doing what it’s doing, without feeling any need to cater to a noisy minority.

Comment

Their are people complaining their is a female captain since TOS established this isnt allowed
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Enterprise already gave an explanation for Klingon's looking different anyway, so this look is maybe related to that, but Klingons have been shown to be quite secretive and the only Klingon we spent a lot of time with grew up in Belarus, so theres loads we dont know and probably never will know

Comment

Behind the scenes on the Season 2 finale.

Comment

Originally posted by dosed150 View Post
                        Enterprise already gave an explanation for Klingon's looking different anyway, so this look is maybe related to that, but Klingons have been shown to be quite secretive and the only Klingon we spent a lot of time with grew up in Belarus, so theres loads we dont know and probably never will know
                        the blue-skinned Klingon....perhaps his Klingon parent mated with an Andorian

Comment

More Season 2 bits and pieces from an event yesterday.

Alex Kurtzman:
                          When we decided to make Michael Spock’s half-sister we knew that inevitably that bill was coming and that would be the crux of season two, if we were lucky enough to get a season two. But you can’t just drop that out there as a random factoid. It requires an entire season to tell the story of why Mr. Spock has never told the story of his sister, and not just from a fan-service point of view. I am a huge sucker for sibling stories. I just loved the idea of figuring out how to take a season to set them as far apart as possible and then bring them back together.

We started breaking story right after the first season and it very quickly became clear that to us the most interesting thing was to not bring Spock in right away. We wanted to hold that for a while and let people search for Spock. [laughs] Just building the anticipation and the specter of Spock in the first episode “Brother,” he looms so large but he is not there and you get a deep sense that something happened between them. I always knew instinctively that I wanted to bookend the season with the siblings talking to each other, but never directly. They are echoing to each other, but we never know if their messages are going to be received. So, it starts with Burnham talking to Spock and ends with Spock talking to Burnham.
                          Sonequa Martin-Green:
                          I loved the redemption arc of season one and I loved the arc of self-discovery of season two, because there are all these things that happen that sort of erase history in my mind as Michael. There are these cornerstones of my identity. And most of them are around shame – things that I thought I was responsible for, deaths I thought I was responsible for. I felt like I was sort of an agent of destruction. So, one by one, those things falling away made me realize who I am when I don’t have to be some kind of image of myself and not have to seek the approval of my father anymore. It’s hard. It’s hard! Not having to do that was very exciting for me and a very emotional journey which I love. I liken it to a pendulum swing, where you see me all the way on the other end in season one being as Vulcan as can be, and you see me swing all the way over to humanity and you see me be as emotional as I can be. I am not behaving capriciously. It is all within reason, but I love that that you see me swinging and what I hope for – and what I think we would all hope for – is that I start to swing toward the middle and find that perfect balance.
                          Ethan Peck:
                          I was hugely terrified. It seemed arrogant that I was suddenly in this reality. I was like, “what are they thinking? I hope I get fired.” I was maybe going to ruin this for so many people that care so deeply about it. But after two months I was not fired and I was still there and here we are.

When I went back in for the third or fourth time for the role I still didn’t know what it was, and I was like, “I don’t know if I am going to be able to do this if it is not a supportive cast.” Because it is so scary and vulnerable. The text is so challenging. And I couldn’t have walked in to a more supportive, beautiful group of people that were every day attempting and succeeding in creating a very special world. Most of my work was with Sonequa and I couldn’t have asked for anyone better. [To Sonequa] Thank you so much.
                          Wilson Cruz:
                          It was a challenge I have to say. So much of my storyline was in isolation with what was happening with everyone else, which is really helpful because Culber was isolated and feeling out of sorts. I really did isolate myself from the cast because I love them too much and I needed to feel estranged to them. So, even during shooting, I would place my chair away so I didn’t get chatty, because Anthony [Rapp] and I can talk. There was a lot of isolation and it was really lonely, I have to say. And before I even started, I was growing all of the hair on my entire body and I didn’t want to go out in public. So, I was really home or at the gym, because I was naked. [laughs]

It required me to imagine what it would be like to get a second chance at life. Culber was in that Mycelial Network, he doesn’t even know. It could have been years, for all that he knows. And in that time, he thought a lot about what his life was before he got there. And when given a second opportunity at life, what do you do with that? What are you willing to change? What do you need to change? What worked for you before that didn’t work? And top of that, the fact that he was in a completely new body that was made from a different plane and having to imagine what it would be like to be outside of your body and unfamiliar with the body that you are in.

Comment

Production on Discovery Season 3 continues apace...
                            We are on episode five of Season 3 of Discovery. We’re far along.
                            And also, more Short Treks are on the way!
                            As previously announced, there will be more Short Treks, two of which are cartoons, along with four live-action shorts.

"We’re doing six more of them. Two of them are animated, and the two that we’re doing that are animated are unlike our two animated shows. What I love about the Short Treks is that to me they are an experimental training ground, and a place to experiment with different things. Directors who we’ve never worked with before, tones we’ve never tried before.

Michael Giacchino is doing one of the animated shorts and Olatunde Osunsanmi is doing another one in the animated shorts and he’s our main director on Discovery. And again, different animation styles, totally different tones. Aimed at kids, I would say, more than adults, those two."
                            Source: https://trekmovie.com/2019/06/18/ale...-tv-franchise/

Comment

From today's SDCC panel:

Spoiler tagging for possible S3 spoilers, though as it's a promo panel I doubt it'll be anything major
                              Spoiler:

Actor David Ajala (Nightflyers) has joined the show as a series regular for Season 3, playing a character called Cleveland Booker (or, simply, Book)
                              https://deadline.com/2019/07/star-tr...ok-1202648350/

TrekMovie.com livetweet thread:
                              Alex assures fans that even jumping far into the future #StarTrekDiscovery is still Gene Roddenberry vision of Star Trek. We are sticking with Canon. We are not erasing anything

Sonequa reveals USS Discovery did not land on Terralysium. Shot 301 in Iceland.

6 #ShortTreks coming. Some will have Pike, Spock and Number One. One will be #Picard prequel. One set on Pike Enterprise has tribbles and H Jon Benjamin

One has Spock and number one stuck in Turbo lift. Written by Chabon

Alex implies Burnham and rest of crew start S3 seperated. Land in different places #StarTrekDiscovery

Alex asks crowd if they want Pike Spock Number One USS Enterprise show. Adds. "We'll think about it"

Alex says there are a ton of new characters in s3. "we are building a future that is complicated... But our focus is always on our characters"

Michelle says S3 will focus on the family of the crew

The NEW Captain in #StarTrekDiscovery is someone already in Season 3 says
                              @Alex_Kurtzman
                              #SDCC #StarTrekSDCC
                              https://twitter.com/TheTrekCentral/s...200973830?s=20

Last edited by DigiFluid; 20 July 2019, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Non-geolocked trailer for the next six Short Treks (though the video is Pike Enterprise-centric)
                                https://twitter.com/CaptainPikesEnt/...046339072?s=20

And from the trailer it looks like the titles for the episodes are:

The Girl Who Made the Stars
                                Children of Mars
                                The Trouble with Edward
                                Ask Not
                                Ephaim and Dot
                                Q&A

Comment

Working...
                                X