Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Trek: Discovery (Speculation/Discussion/Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This also looks amazing. It is tricky how they have made new TOS "episodes" without making a new spinoff with Pike and Spock. These little stories could be a test for more, but I am sure it will be a great fan service anyway. I have to admit CBS All-Access started a full attack for viewers. It is so great to see how this franchise (and lore) could return to the tv.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

So, this is...odd.

Novelist Walter Mosely, who had been hired to write for Season 3, has now quit. Seems that in relaying a story about racism (Mosely is black), he quoted someone else saying the n-word. And then someone else who was in the room felt it necessary to complain to HR...that a black man, who has been a victim of many racist incidents, quoted someone else's racial epithet. HR then called Mosley to tell him that they'd received a complaint, that it had made someone else in the room "uncomfortable" and they reported it.

Obviously I wasn't in the room, so I can't know all the details. Could well be that there's a lot more to the story that just hasn't been made public yet. But the story that's out there so far...sounds to me like some dumbass busybody has cost them a noted author.

https://www.cbr.com/star-trek-discov...ord-complaint/
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        So, this is...odd.

Novelist Walter Mosely, who had been hired to write for Season 3, has now quit. Seems that in relaying a story about racism (Mosely is black), he quoted someone else saying the n-word. And then someone else who was in the room felt it necessary to complain to HR...that a black man, who has been a victim of many racist incidents, quoted someone else's racial epithet. HR then called Mosley to tell him that they'd received a complaint, that it had made someone else in the room "uncomfortable" and they reported it.

Obviously I wasn't in the room, so I can't know all the details. Could well be that there's a lot more to the story that just hasn't been made public yet. But the story that's out there so far...sounds to me like some dumbass busybody has cost them a noted author.

Yeah this sounds like a major error on the part of... well somebody. I feel bad for Mosely though.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

So, this is...odd.

This ridiculous situation is why the terminally offended need to be told to stfu as soon as they open their mouths.

So much for free speech.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
            This ridiculous situation is why the terminally offended need to be told to stfu as soon as they open their mouths.

So much for free speech.
            We can assume the guy who said the N word still works there, so yeah I think free speech is still alive and well... possibly sadly in this case.

Comment

No no, Mosley (again, a black man) said it, as part of a story about racism. Someone else got their panties in a bunch and moaned to HR, who then went to Mosley about it because they'd received a complaint, so Mosley quit.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

No no, Mosley (again, a black man) said it, as part of a story about racism. Someone else got their panties in a bunch and moaned to HR, who then went to Mosley about it because they'd received a complaint, so Mosley quit.
                Since I am not gonna subscribe to CBS to watch new Trek, I don't know these guys from Adam, just what I got skimming the article cited.

But Mosley made the absolute correct choice. If you can, walk away from that BS every time. The only power they have in our society is what we give them.

Comment

Haven't posted for a long while.
                  But thought I'd pop by to throw in my two cents. I've really disliked Discovery thus far. It's over-dependent on TOS mythology, there's a lack of cohesion in the main cast and the over-stylised visuals become tiresome after a while.
                  The fact that practically all of the show's events had to be handwaved away to explain the lack of impact on the rest of the canon speaks volumes on how poorly it fits with the rest of the franchise. There are certain things I appreciate about it, such as the willingness to retain aspects of Enterprise(like the uniform design and the mirror universe episodes) as well as the development of Captain Pike, but mostly it's been a really poor show imo.
                  "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
                    Haven't posted for a long while.
                    But thought I'd pop by to throw in my two cents. I've really disliked Discovery thus far. It's over-dependent on TOS mythology, there's a lack of cohesion in the main cast and the over-stylised visuals become tiresome after a while.
                    The fact that practically all of the show's events had to be handwaved away to explain the lack of impact on the rest of the canon speaks volumes on how poorly it fits with the rest of the franchise. There are certain things I appreciate about it, such as the willingness to retain aspects of Enterprise(like the uniform design and the mirror universe episodes) as well as the development of Captain Pike, but mostly it's been a really poor show imo.
                    These are valid criticisms so as a fan I thank you for at least giving it a chance. Though I do have to disagree with you about the crew dynamic. Also as a prequel I think certain things need to be built around familiar concepts and characters. In a lot of ways DSC is a better prequel than Enterprise (or at least the first three seasons of Enterprise) as it actually draws a road map for how the Galaxy got to where it was in TOS rather than Enterprise which basically was just Voyager all over again.

Comment

So... something just occurred that I can't believe I hadn't thought of before now. Given all we learn about them in Season 2, could the Kelpians be a new big bad in season 3 for the crew?

Comment

Season 3 trailer! Twitter link for now, will replace with a YT link once we've got one.

https://twitter.com/StarTrek/status/...898186752?s=20

Comment

And there's a new Short Trek, "Q&A" up NOW on CBSAA. Not sure about other availability yet.

They've also announced the schedule for the new set of Short Treks:

NOW: "Q&A"
                          Oct 10: "The Trouble with Edward"
                          Nov 14: "Ask not"
                          Dec 12: "The Girl Who Made the Stars" & "Ephraim and Dot"
                          Jan 9: "Children of Mars"

Comment

https://www.productionweekly.com/pro...ings-29-pages/

A Hungarian series blog has found this, so does it mean they have unofficially announced Star Trek : Discovery season 4?
                            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

could be the forth episode of season 3 but I dunno

Comment

As far as I know the season 3 is ready, just it will delay because of the premiere of the Picard. And this article mentions future productions, so I believe season 4 is confirmed. I hope so anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X