Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Trek: Discovery (Speculation/Discussion/Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"No god rule"? What a load of nonsense.

Yes, Roddenberry was an atheist. The show, and the franchise, are not. Religions and faiths both human and alien have featured prominently in the show right from the original series--when Roddenberry would have had the most creative control.

Not saying "god" or praising Jesus every other sentence is not a "no god rule."
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      "No god rule"? What a load of nonsense.

Yes, Roddenberry was an atheist. The show, and the franchise, are not. Religions and faiths both human and alien have featured prominently in the show right from the original series--when Roddenberry would have had the most creative control.

Not saying "god" or praising Jesus every other sentence is not a "no god rule."
      It's part of the TOS bible. The characters can't say "god". And displays of religions only increased after his control started to wane. But don't take my word for it, it is a known thing...scroll down to the "analysis" section of this article.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/in...s/religion.htm

This website is very much a fan website (Has lots of interesting information, exploring it is good way to spend some time).

Don't take my post to be an uninformed blanket statement of doom and gloom. I don't follow track with Roddenberry's Religiophobia, but that doesn't mean that I didn't/don't enjoy the first two seasons of The Next Generation. Which was my point. As for Discovery, I am curious to see which direction they will blow in. If it really is sticking to those first two years of TNG, or going the way of DS9/Voyager when it comes to religion. Originally I did think they were going for that rule to the letter.
      But now I am not sure.
      By Nolamom
      sigpic

Comment

Discovery renewed for second season
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Early season 2 details emerge....very early.

And it starts production sometime in April.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
            I voted a Business man into office. I couldn't care less about his reality show the Apprentice..

I could deal with all that... The show itself did portray more of a utopian society.
            ITS MORE What that douchebag of an actor did and said that turns me off of discovery.

And several OF those actors/singers who have bad mouthed trump (Madonna, Springstein, and a few others) i have already DELETED their music from my collection, removed the DVD's from my collection and given them away, or have blacklisted their upcoming movies..
            Originally posted by garhkal View Post
            IMO you can't separate the two.. That's why several prominent singers (MADONNA!) are now on my **** list, and i have completely removed their music from my computers and even shattered the disks i had..
            And I thought Annoyed was bad....ROFLMAO
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
              And I thought Annoyed was bad....ROFLMAO
              FYI, garhkal got banned, I think.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

He certainly won't be able to reply further,so remember this thread's about ST Discovery not "Who got modded etc."

Why I really came in here :

Anyone know if the show will get a UK/region 2 release on DVD box set? All I can find so far are novels and I have no interest in buying them or joining Netflix just yet.
                The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                  He certainly won't be able to reply further,so remember this thread's about ST Discovery not "Who got modded etc."
                  My post was informal, as in he won't be able to comment.

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                  Anyone know if the show will get a UK/region 2 release on DVD box set? All I can find so far are novels and I have no interest in buying them or joining Netflix just yet.
                  It doesn't look like it'll be any time soon.

I have been thinking about taking a Netflix account though. I didn't know it was immediately available, like a day later, for Europe. And almost all of The CW shows are also on Netflix real quick. So, it would be worth it to get a pass (for me at least).
                  Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

So...the show will be on Netflix soon?
                    sigpic

Comment

In US, it’s only distributed via CBS All Access. As far as I know there are no plans to put it on US Netflix, as it’s their big driver to get people to use CBS’s in-house streaming service.

In Canada it airs on the TV channel Space at the same time it debuts on All Access in the US, then it releases on the following night on the streaming service CraveTV. No Netflix availability.

Internationally, it distributes exclusively on Netflix, releasing episodes the day after it premieres on All Access/Space.

No idea when DVD/BD is coming. Soon, I hope!

Comment

Looking at the other shows on All Access, you might have to live with the possibility it won't be released on DVD
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

sometimes I think all this digital TV business ain't all it's cracked up to be...seems like a lot of the stuff you try to watch on this new digital TV system the digital signal frequently skips and makes the video all pixelated....seems like you used to get a more reliable signal on the old analog TV systems but that could just be me I suppose

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                            In US, it’s only distributed via CBS All Access. As far as I know there are no plans to put it on US Netflix, as it’s their big driver to get people to use CBS’s in-house streaming service.

In Canada it airs on the TV channel Space at the same time it debuts on All Access in the US, then it releases on the following night on the streaming service CraveTV. No Netflix availability.

Internationally, it distributes exclusively on Netflix, releasing episodes the day after it premieres on All Access/Space.

No idea when DVD/BD is coming. Soon, I hope!
                            Guess I won't be watching it anytime soon. I already pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime in addition to UVerse. I'm not about to pay for CBS All Access or Stargate Command. Although, Stargate Command seems to be a rather reasonable one time payment.
                            sigpic

Comment

I don't think I'll be watching it anytime soon either. I'm not about to sign up for a service to watch 1 show, particularly one that has had a lukewarm reception at best.

If something happens where I can reasonably expect to burn through it in the free week trial they give you, I might do that.

Otherwise, I'm sure it will eventually show up somewhere. I can wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                                I don't think I'll be watching it anytime soon either. I'm not about to sign up for a service to watch 1 show, particularly one that has had a lukewarm reception at best.

If something happens where I can reasonably expect to burn through it in the free week trial they give you, I might do that.

Otherwise, I'm sure it will eventually show up somewhere. I can wait.
                                Beyond the free week trial, one month subscription to watch the whole series is cost worthy if you ask me. Just schedule it so you can watch the whole season within one pay period. It'd be cheaper than the DVD's.
                                By Nolamom
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X