Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Default Re: Confirmed! New Star Trek TV series coming in January 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Cool!

Streaming service - not so cool.
    But it'll probably float around the interwebz at some point.

Kurtzman is bringing in the money - I wouldn't worry too much about any creative decisions. Producers and executive producers deal with the money-side of things.
    I concur...streaming...not so cool. I wonder if CBS's All Access is a part of my service already?

As an Australian who can't get CBS All Access, I think that sucks, unless Stan gets it, we probably won't get it until 2018 or even 2019

I hope that its set post dominion war, post voyager return, perhaps the 1st season could be about a federation/Klingon task force cleaning up some rebel jem'hadar left in the alpha quadrant, I would also love it if it were centred around another starbase, it doesn't have to be ds9 but I think that would be cool

Would an Antholagy series work for Star Trek?
    Last Movie Watched
    X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
    Life is Strange

Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...

Quote Originally Posted by mr_kennedy View Post
    As an Australian who can't get CBS All Access, I think that sucks, unless Stan gets it, we probably won't get it until 2018 or even 2019
    Hence why I made the comment that I'm hoping it will float about the web so that I, as a Belgian, doesn't have to wait until much much later than 2020 to watch it.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

Quote Originally Posted by mr_kennedy View Post

I hope that its set post dominion war, post voyager return, perhaps the 1st season could be about a federation/Klingon task force cleaning up some rebel jem'hadar left in the alpha quadrant, I would also love it if it were centred around another starbase, it doesn't have to be ds9 but I think that would be cool

Would an Antholagy series work for Star Trek?
    I'll have to check with my Boob-tube Service Provider (BSP) to see if I have CBS All Access.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    I have no problem with the "Enterprise" era, I just didn't like the 2 year Xindi story arc. Bored me to death.
    Anyway, given choice, I'd like to see a few thousand years in the future. I seem to recall a scene at the end of some Trek property that was set far in the future, that has them at the edge of our galaxy, looking outward. Pick it up there would be good.
    The Xindi arc was only one year.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by P-90_177 View Post
    The Xindi arc was only one year.
    As I recall, the arc started sometime in season 2, and didn't finish until late season 3.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    As I recall, the arc started sometime in season 2, and didn't finish until late season 3.
    It was introduced in the season 2 finale, and wrapped up in the season 3 finale. 1 season.

12345678War910111213

The Last Great Time War

The Xindi arc was the best.

What a mixed reception it got, though. In my experience, people tend to love it or hate it. Still a better overall reception than the first two seasons!
    If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff O'Connor View Post
    The Xindi arc was the best.

What a mixed reception it got, though. In my experience, people tend to love it or hate it. Still a better overall reception than the first two seasons!
    I liked it

My fear is that people won't flock to a CBS subscription service for 1 show and the network will incorrectly cancel the show even though the show would have received good rating if it aired on CBS TV.

Worst case scenario I'll sign up for 1 month of the CBS thing (likely a free trial) and binge watch the show once the season has concluded.
    <a href=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/spimman/media/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/spimman/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg target=_blank>http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...ps2497bbad.jpg</a></a>

The second more subtle (and, perhaps more important) reason that fans are turned off by the move to only All Access is the fear that it may spell the beginning of the end for a show that hasn’t even aired yet. CBS is using Star Trek to anchor their streaming service. If you want to watch it, you’ve gotta subscribe, so they are banking on enough people paying to see Trek to help the budding service grow.

But, what about the undoubtedly significant number of fans for whom a streaming service is too much of a barrier? All Access strikes fear into the heart of some for two main reasons. First, Star Trek fans tend to skew older. Many of our beloved elder Trekkies (the ones you’re jealous of for getting to watch TOS during it’s original run) are now supposed to navigate the world of streaming television, where they have to buy a new “set top box” and subscribe to some new fangled technology. If grandma needs a detailed set of instructions to confidently operate the remote control, there’s no way she would understand All Access.

Old (and old-at-heart) people aside, what about people with only a passing interest in Star Trek? The new movies did do good for the franchise by stirring up interest in lots of only semi-interested would-be Trekkies (who then went back and watched the television series’ on Netflix). But, would they pay $6/month for one show that they may or may not care about? Probably not.

Star Trek has been used to bolster a new network before, and we all remember how well that turned out for the ratings.

This is not to say that the move to exclusive online is a bad one. CBS may just be on to something here, and if they have enough confidence in Star Trek to use it to anchor their streaming service, let’s hope they at least put their money where their mouth is and give the show a decent budget (and, more importantly, a great set of writers and show runners).
    full article

$6\month is a lot of money when you really only want one show (who cares about old content I can already access or new content I already get on TV?)

I also completely agree this is a huge barrier for many for multiple reasons, especially the casual viewer who has only seen the new movies but would tune in (and boost ratings) if it was on TV.
    <a href=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/spimman/media/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/spimman/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg target=_blank>http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...ps2497bbad.jpg</a></a>

I wonder if this streaming is part of the on-demand that I get with Uverse?

First, Star Trek fans tend to skew older. Many of our beloved elder Trekkies (the ones you’re jealous of for getting to watch TOS during it’s original run) are now supposed to navigate the world of streaming television, where they have to buy a new “set top box” and subscribe to some new fangled technology. If grandma needs a detailed set of instructions to confidently operate the remote control, there’s no way she would understand All Access.
    This would be offset by the higher overall comfort factor that people interested in Star Trek have with technology as a whole..

Sci Fi fans tend to DVR more than most, for example.

I'm old enough where I did watch TOS first run, and today's A/V technology is no mystery to me.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...

Spimman's idea is a good one - bingewatch when it'sll available.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Spimman's idea is a good one - bingewatch when it'sll available.
    It won't work if lasts to S2. I think it's worth mentioning that their are other shows on All Access
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

it could be something completely different, like this, this is a fan done short movie, and I think it is fantastic.

Star Trek: Aurora--Complete

Quote Originally Posted by LtColCarter View Post
    I wonder if this streaming is part of the on-demand that I get with Uverse?
    I'm wondering the same thing, but it isn't sounding that way.

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    It won't work if lasts to S2. I think it's worth mentioning that their are other shows on All Access
    One month at $6 per year could get each season instead on an ongoing $6\month fee from January - April\May.

What other shows are exclusively on CBS All Access? The site didn't specify on my quick look, I have access to all braodcast CBS content through DirecTV.

Quote Originally Posted by Spimman View Post
    I'm wondering the same thing, but it isn't sounding that way.

One month at $6 per year could get each season instead on an ongoing $6\month fee from January - April\May.

What other shows are exclusively on CBS All Access? The site didn't specify on my quick look, I have access to all braodcast CBS content through DirecTV.
    I have access to CBS direct broadcasts and on-demand content from U-Verse. However, I just looked at this "All-Access" crap...and I don't see anything that is an "All-Access" exclusive. They have the current CBS shows...as well as shows that are considered "classic."

Surprised no one's posted this yet.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-s...r-trek-series/
    Meh...

Same story at TrekMovie.com, suggests a third timeline?

According to Variety, “The creative plan is for the series to introduce new characters and civilizations, existing outside of the mythology charted by previous series and the current movie franchise.”
    Also, quite nice to see that DS9 is his favourite Trek series. That's promising.

For the record, his Trek writing credits include
    DS9: The Darkness and the Light
    DS9: Empok Nor
    VOY: The Raven
    VOY: Mortal Coil
    VOY: Retrospect
    VOY: Living Witness
    VOY: Drone
    VOY: Bride of Chaotica!
    VOY: Gravity
    VOY: Dark Frontier (Part 1)
    VOY: Course Oblivion
    VOY: Juggernaut
    VOY: Relativity
    VOY: Barge of the Dead
    VOY: Alice
    VOY: One Small Step
    VOY: Spirit Folk
    VOY: Fury
    VOY: The Haunting of Deck Twelve
    VOY: Flesh and Blood (Parts 1 & 2)
    VOY: Workforce (Parts 1 & 2)
    VOY: Friendship One

A number of VOY episodes that I actually didn't hate. Interesting.

12345678War910111213

The Last Great Time War