Asgard beaming truly OP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asgard beaming truly OP?

So was going around reading and this just came to me, is anyone else annoyed that asgard beaming tech is so underused? To beam something as they do don't they have to know every little thing about it, as in I could beam a hard drive to my ship and as such could at the time copy Everything on it. This says that they should be able to Clone intelligent beings with the tech, to know the ins and outs of a zpm, of well whatever they can beam. I know it is never used this way because it would wreck havoc on tension and the like but really just that one tech is such OP to be insanity. Does anyone nay say this or am I right?

Shouldn't they be able to make a dyson swarm around a star that connects to beaming tech that Then makes any and all they need even naquada? Would take some time however the effect once done is just... Ugh writers for the show upset me at times.

One last thing, the Goa'uld have the ancients rings that does the same thing just not all over the place right? Really, some plot holes once you notice them never go away.

Think of it like a Stargate, it needs the entire object in order to put it back together so you can't keep something and, like a Stargate, the "blueprints" for whatever is being sent should be sent with the object otherwise you could end up only receiving energy with no idea how to put it back together.

I believe I read somewhere that scientists believe that if you converted matter to energy, the energy would be unstable and naturally want to become matter again and vice versa. And converting energy into matter would require an input of probably a hundred times the energy of the object and there is a chance that you would just get a mass of elements.

Comment

Wait, so you want the writers to give SG-1 unlimited ZedPMs/drones/a never ending supply of all the advanced tech they could ever want?

Wouldn't that make things even more unbalanced than they already are? In the 10 years SG-1 ran for they went from the real world level of technology to the most powerful race in two galaxies with access to the entire Ancient and Asgard databases.

They don't need access to unlimited technology, they're already at a point where not even ascended beings have a chance against SG-1.

And for most of season 9 Asgard beams were used as a last minute beam out, which killed all the tension of the stories, and just looked like lazy writing. Which is what unlimited tech from using Asgard beams as replicators would do.

The rings work like the Stargates but over a smaller distance, matter in=matter out. Not much room for cloning from stored patterns there.

Comment

Originally posted by acairta View Post
        So was going around reading and this just came to me, is anyone else annoyed that asgard beaming tech is so underused?
        You assume that the laws of regular physics apply to asgard beaming. Considering how it works, it probably doesn't.

Secondly, consider the logical argument. If it worked that way, why wouldn't people use it that way? in stead of growing clones, why not Cull some (and some humans) and have the wraith mass-produce humans and wraith.

Besides, considering the exotic technology of ZPM's, they're the one thing that likely can not be replicated even if it worked the way you want it to work.

Comment

Here we go ^_^, they say right out in a ep "This technology is a great tactical advantage in combat situations, and also provides great usefulness in society." yet you don't see it all that often except for getting people from point a to point b or you know removing a skyscraper. At the end they even flat out use it to create food and water from energy in unending, at one point even replicators which kicked the asgards collected back sides with ease thanks to how advanced they are until sg-1 dues ex machina arrived to save the day a few times. Which a stargate can not do so that theory is out the window sadly. Though in that one ep Teal'c was saved in the stargate buffer when it over loaded which says that could possibly be copied from as well with anything going through.

They do say it can't do anything as complicated as a zpm or asgard power source, yet they can beam it so I guess that goes to the pure amount of energy it takes to make one of those which can be understandable. Still the need for gold, platinum, silver, or ever naquada is out the window with it once you hookup a big enough power source.

As for wanting the writers to do so, no it would kill the story unless it was a short spin off but once I see something so over the top not being used anywhere near it's potential it kinda can't be unseen so yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by acairta View Post
            At the end they even flat out use it to create food and water from energy in unending
            And E=m*c^2. Using matter conversion like that is insanely, insanely energy expensive. Also, creating powersources is pointless because of this thing called Conservation of Energy.

Comment

Not saying it won't use energy like a sieve just that it is possible for them to do so. As for conservation of energy, well that is what the dyson swarm I first mentioned is for. Just find it hard to believe the asgard or any other advanced race like that would never have considered the use of them. Turning energy from the sun which they can't haul around into say naquada over time which they can seems like what could have been done.

Comment

I agree it's a bit OP. I mean, why not teleport bombs directly to the bridges of other ships, or directly into the laps of opposing leaders?

Comment

Originally posted by Science View Post
                  I agree it's a bit OP. I mean, why not teleport bombs directly to the bridges of other ships, or directly into the laps of opposing leaders?
                  shields block asgard beaming.

Comment

This debate kinda reminds of the power creep of the Zat. They are still kicking themselves for the 3 shots disintegrates the bodies of enemies stuff.

For me the quality of the show went down when Humanity started acquiring spaceships and the big toys.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrathraxus View Post
                      This debate kinda reminds of the power creep of the Zat. They are still kicking themselves for the 3 shots disintegrates the bodies of enemies stuff.
                      Isn't it inverse powercreep there?

It was introduced with the 3 shots. the 3rd shot was never mentioned again.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                        Isn't it inverse powercreep there?

It was introduced with the 3 shots. the 3rd shot was never mentioned again.
                        It was used again in Family (2x08) to disintegrate a body, and in 1969 (2x21) to disintegrate their future/alien gear. That was the last time it was used if memory serves.

"BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

Comment

Working...
                        X