Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SGA Season Six and SGU S3 Comics (American Mythology)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I may have spoke too soon. I tweeted AM to ask about the Universe comics and they said: "SGU is being planned for May. Yes - trying to do a KS if MGM will approve. Appreciate the support!"
    sigpic
    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

And that's why stories should go from comics to a tv show...not the other way around. I will preface by saying I have not at all read the comics. Not a comic book fan personally. In my mind, the stories are way too fleshed out to then be continued in small little text bubbles. I know something is better than nothing, and if someone enjoys them that's great, but personally I couldn't go from a well thought out storyline with 3 shows and 2 movies worth of information to a small text bubble worth of dialogue and it be exciting. I will hold out hope for a TV continuation.

Comment

Has anyone else read Gateways #2? The new artist generally does better at actor likenesses but the strange third-face highlighting is starting to grate on me a bit, especially in two particular panels. The spaceship illustrations are still amazingly well drawn though and so much fun to look at.

As for the story, it's okay so far. It's strange, I thought Back to Pegasus blazed through its story too quickly but now I'm kinda wishing Gateways would hurry up and actually divulge key bits of information already. I think I'm just a bit bitter with how long we've had to wait and it has affected my enjoyment of the series.

Generally I think the characters have been on point though I have a few niggles, mostly just Sheppard's over-use of "Chewie".
        Spoiler:
        Janus is kind annoying me though, his characterisation seems so radically different from what we know of from the series.

I'm curious to see where the story is unfolding but at the same time I'm a bit apprehensive as the story is SO different from anything in the series so far. I hope they can do the story justice.

Comment

I like the artwork in Gateways #2 a lot!!! Dynamic cell and page compositions and colors.

I am liking the comics in general so far, the humor and all, and this issue is my favorite.

Good to see Todd back, if only for a page. I missed him in the last issue. The way he was drawn this time was much better-- the nostrils in his face profile are tapered in parallel to the sensory pits on his cheeks the way they should be. Care into character details is appreciated.

Spoiler:
          I wonder how Janus would be behaving if Weir were around. He seemed to get along well with her in the show. Also, I can only imagine the history Janus has going back with Todd and the Attero device.

Looking forward to the next issue.
          Last edited by WraithTech; 03 February 2017, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Read Gateways #3 this afternoon. Another great issue.
            Spoiler:

Spoilers ahead:
            It seems like Janus is trying to use psychological warfare against John and Todd both by using the Genii facility. Kolya 2.0 in both setting and obsessed mentality. Oh, the irony of Janus calling Todd an animal when he is too (mammal, primate, vertebrate) unless he is a robot himself in this version of himself and accusing Todd of wanting to attack when that is what he himself has been doing to other, multiple races all along and ordering the grey beings to do the same to any “populations” they see as “resources.”

The use of "Iratus" and "insect" as insults were interesting in a scifi setting way. The Wraith have some insect DNA and celebrate it (they decorate their hives with Iratus bug sculptures, their uniforms with similar elements, and Michael's lab used such an emblem), many likely think themselves better than humans for it, while this Janus thinks of them lesser for it and uses the class insect as an insult. The same illusion is interpreted through different prejudiced biases. Todd seems to be acting to dispel any illusions, proving Wraith and human can, once again, work together.

I like the development of the grey aliens in this issue, how it is revealed they were programmed, yet, with free thought in being shown with Janus’s basis of authority being somewhat questioned and Janus not being sure if they “like” him or not. Due to the attempts to wipe out the Wraith and the Asurans, I doubt the grey aliens would be looked upon fondly by Janus in the long run either. I wonder if they know of the Asurans.

I also liked Daniel questioning the Attero device's effects and Todd's interaction with Shen. Todd got whumped quite a bit, physically and verbally, but was the dignified one.

Some questions I have about the story:

Can anyone tell what Janus did with the syringe? I can’t tell if he injected something into Todd or drew some of his blood. I would guess the latter, for something to do with studying or gaining healing abilities?

Where did Todd go when he followed Janus through the ‘gate? I take it he is hiding somewhere in the facility? Or, the 'gate closed before he got to it and he is back in Atlantis again (hopefully not in the brig)?

Why do some of the grey aliens have more red lights on their foreheads while others have more blue? Does this signify something in regards to how Janus is controlling them or are there different factions or types of them programmed? There seem to be more blue lights on the ones who are around Janus, pretty consistently across the issues. It seems like a carefully-done detail.

Also, for the Wiki writers out there, it would be nice to have a plot synopsis for each comic, the way the IDW Transformers comics have. Citations about the books and comics are already throughout the Wiki, so there are already spoilers abound. There are enough comics out now that I can't remember some details, such as how
            Spoiler:
            the Attero device has reappeared. Did the one in this issue come from another reality where it was not destroyed in the facility? I guess I can't keep track of the realities at this point and don't want to go back through the issues to read to took for it.
            Last edited by WraithTech; 10 March 2017, 08:18 AM.

Comment

I don't think it came from another reality. Maybe they found notes on it in Janus' lab on Atlantis or the moon

Which wiki are you referring? I don't think Stargate has one quite as detailed as the transformers wiki

Comment

Re: the device, I re-read those 2 pages a few more times and am thinking the wording was just off on that one cell
                Spoiler:

where Zelenka told them about the device, which made it sound as though the Janus' original device itself was modified. On the next page, Carter talks about building and installing more of them-- this implies they are able to, and likely did, have the knowledge to build a new one from the ground up.

The Wiki I use most for merchandise is the one on Wikia, as not all Stargate wikis accept merchandise submissions. There are pages set up for the books and the comic books with very basic entries. Here is an example for Gateways 1, currently having only a publisher's summary:
                http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Starg...is:_Gateways_1

Comment

Does anyone have contact info for American Mythology? Phone number or email address?

I never received my order for the physical copies of Gateways 2 or 3 and replies to the receipt are bouncing!

There is no customer service option on their webpage and no contact info on my receipt. I tried filling out the form on their webpage, but that is only to subscribe to their mailing list and no one has responded.

Comment

Message them on their twitter account. I've got replies there before.

Comment

Twitter is saying "Internal server error" and "This user doesn't follow you. You can only send messages to people who do."
                      They have always given good service up to this point.
                      I am starting to panic a little...

Comment

Huh, sounds like they changed their settings. Maybe make a post and tag them in it. You could try their Facebook page too

Comment

You should just tag them in your tweet, and all should be fine.
                          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Thanks, all, for the ideas. I am going to try Facebook next, on which their page says "Typically replies within a day."

Comment

Just tweet them directly. You can't DM people if you're not following each other.
                              sigpic
                              Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                                Just tweet them directly. You can't DM people if you're not following each other.
                                Isn't this a case of privacy settings?
                                Cause I seem to remember DM's on twitter from people that were not following me... I follow them, but not in reverse.
                                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X