Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SGA Season Six and SGU S3 Comics (American Mythology)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brief email from AM I received yesterday -

We just wanted to let you know that we'll have copies of Stargate Universe #1 ready to ship out by Friday 6/23. The comics are on sale in comic shops and on ComiXology the following Wednesday 6/28.

If you don't have a comic shop near you, you can buy copies from us direct if you like and we can promise you that we'll send out copies by Saturday 6/24 in rigid cardboard mailers so you have them right on time and in great condition. You can find our webshop here: https://www.americanmythology.net/shop

Thanks for supporting Stargate comics!

Oh and one other small thing, there was a printing problem with the retailer incentive photo cover where over 100 of the already small print run were lost, making that cover by far the rarest edition of the run. So you'll want to but that one in a bag and board for safe keeping if you are getting one from your comic shop or our webstore!
    sigpic
    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Has anyone received their pledge rewards from AM yet? I have my digital copies of BtP #1-3, but that's it. Apparently they were shipped a while ago but I'm still waiting. I've sent them an email and hopefully will hear back soon.

Comment

SGU #1 did indeed make it out. There were rumors #0 or #2 might as well but that was not the cause. Story was interesting, no sure what to think quite yet though...

Comment

It's definitely an interesting start. Not sure I really expected that so curious to see where they go!
          sigpic
          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

American Mythology posted a new Kickstarter. Not live yet but open for feedback

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...token=dbd3b93d

Comment

From Midtown's online store, it looks like SGA Hearts and Minds #2 was delayed until July 12th.

A Kickstarter for a graphic novel of books of the first 2 arcs hopefully bodes well for more arcs in the future.

Comment

Just saw a tweet saying the Kickstarter goes live on July 5th

Comment

I wasn't that fond of SGU #1 to be honest. I thought the likenesses were pretty weak. If they have a passing resemblance I'm fine with it, but they all felt so ... similar? There's a panel where everyone's face is drawn really similarly and it was so jarring. Also:
                  Spoiler:
                  Eli rationing food and water and exercising more for 2 1/2 months wouldn't make him lose the kind of weight he has in the issue. He's drawn WAY thinner than he is on the show and it's rubbed me the wrong way.

As for the story I felt pretty let down. There were entire flashback segments that could have been cut out. The lead up to what happens after the show's finale was so drawn out, that by the time you're getting to the good stuff the issue was over. I did appreciate the "Previously, on Stargate Universe" segment before the issue.

I guess that's what's been kinda frustrating for me during the comics, is that each issue feels like one piece of a larger whole, rather than a self-contained issue that is then carried on in the next issue. Imagine watching the show live and having to wait 3 weeks for a single episode to be concluded. It doesn't help that we regularly have issues being delayed weeks or entire months, but I suspect that's mostly due to MGM.

I'm interested to see where the story goes as it has potential but I'm not entirely sold on it just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by lightsyder View Post
                    American Mythology posted a new Kickstarter. Not live yet but open for feedback

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...token=dbd3b93d
                    That's weird: Kickstarting a trade collection that's a.) already been solicited in last month's Previews catalog and b.) already available for pre-order on Amazon. I guess this Kickstarter is more for the special editions and collectibles offered at the differing contribution levels, but the whole thing feels like it goes counter to what Kickstarter is intended for -- kickstarting projects that wouldn't get off the ground otherwise.

As for the first issue of SG:U, I agree with a lot of what Super Hive wrote. Too much "walking to the story" rather than "jumping into the story." The recap in the beginning was appreciated (and, in my case, necessary), but all of the pages dedicated to Eli's studying and weight-loss regimen were death for the narrative to pick up any momentum. The story did ramp up in the final pages, so hopefully the next few issues will be the pay-off for this issue's set-up.

Hopefully, the art improves as well in the next issue. Echoing what Super Hive said, actor likenesses are non-existent in this issue. Which wouldn't be that big a deal if the artist were able to differentiate between the characters more strongly in his illustrations. Thankfully, the writers provided captions identifying characters on occasion, but the artwork shouldn't have to rely on this device throughout an entire story. I think I recall the first arc in the Atlantis comic having similar problems with indistinguishable characters and the same artist in the most-recent Atlantis comic is now killing it, so maybe the artist here will likewise improve or compensate for these shortcomings. Fingers crossed.

I noticed that this comic has incorporated flashbacks into the story, just like the series did. On one hand, I like it when a tie-in story attempts to closely emulate the source material and recreate the experience of watching the TV or movie series in a new medium (comic books, novels, audio dramas, etc.). On the other hand, I never really cared that much for SG:U's use of flashbacks in the series proper since it made SG:U's aping of other series like Lost that much more obvious. It's the same reason I never liked the steady-cam style of the show; it made SG:U into too much of a BSG clone while abandoning far too much of the Stargate franchise's traditional flavor. So, while I understand the writers' use of flashbacks here to be an homage the TV series' format, I think a more straight-forward and linear approach (sans flashbacks) would've been more suitable in the debut issue. Just my two cents.

Comment

I agree the Kickstarter for an already solicited trade is weird. I asked about that on the Kickstarter but have not got a response yet.

Comment

I agree the Kickstarter for an already solicited trade is weird. I asked about that on the Kickstarter but have not got a response yet.
                        I'd be curious to hear their response as well.

Comment

Got a response

yes it is the same content with an exclusive photo cover for our Kickstarter supporters. We will be printing both at the same time. The funds from the Kickstarter are going to help us start the presses for both editions. Thanks!

Comment

SGU #1 did indeed make it out. There were rumors #0 or #2 might as well but that was not the cause. Story was interesting, no sure what to think quite yet though...
                            Unfortunately #0 (The Icarus Prequel, which was in 6 parts, so I'm not sure how it would work as a #0) isn't happening. I was the writer for it, hence my knowing.

All effort from the publishers is going (as it should) into the Season 3 'sequel' comics.

I'm delighted to see #1 doing well on Amazon. I know it's a very slow start to the story, but it's great to see stuff happening.
                            Author of 'The Legend of the Locust' Sci Fi Series

Worked on SGU (a little)

Comment

So the prequel has been cancelled? Is was based on notes from Cooper, right?

Comment

Originally posted by lmoroney View Post
                                Unfortunately #0 (The Icarus Prequel, which was in 6 parts, so I'm not sure how it would work as a #0) isn't happening. I was the writer for it, hence my knowing.

All effort from the publishers is going (as it should) into the Season 3 'sequel' comics.

I'm delighted to see #1 doing well on Amazon. I know it's a very slow start to the story, but it's great to see stuff happening.
                                That's disappointing. Maybe, if the "Season Three" comics are successful enough, your prequel comic can be revisited at a later time. I sincerely hope that the prequel series is eventually released sometime, because it sounds like it has the potential to be an intriguing story.

Whatever happens, I appreciate you stopping by the forums and sharing your enthusiasm for the Universe comics with us.

Comment

Working...
                                X