Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SGA Season Six and SGU S3 Comics (American Mythology)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Hearts and Minds" #2 was a pretty good continuation for this arc. The artwork is still looking clean with solid story-telling. The stakes are raised in the main plot, but I really don't know where they're going with the Gate techs on the deserted planet subplot. Single issue comics are short enough; they really don't need the extraneous filler of a B story. Hopefully the techs' story dovetails with the main storyline soon.

Side note: Just before reading this issue, I read Sally Malcolm's SG:A short story at the end of the second prose anthology. Strangely enough, her tale was also about the importance of building & maintaining goodwill amongst the people of the Pegasus Galaxy -- winning "hearts and minds," as it were.

A happy coincidence.

Comment

"Hearts and Minds" #2...
      The colors and effects were great, such as the Ba-Whoom on page 19.
      Total cliffhanger!
      I miss Todd though. He kind of just vanished from the pages. Hopefully next issue he will return?
      Spoiler:
      Poor Nagasamir! I had liked the silver-haired gentleman there who spoke cordially and seemed to be peacemaker and leader among his people. I take it any grey aliens left behind were also blown up? I wonder, did the soldiers know their fate? Did they cause the explosion? Janus left them behind for some reason. When the High Council hears about it, a lost planet will resonate with Shiana.

As for the books, I stopped reading the non-Legacy ones. I feel this comic has been (so far) better at being respectful to all the alien races, in spite of the conflicts. If the books get better, I will give them another try. Being respectful to the people of Pegasus is a good start. I did like how the High Council appeared in the comics, as they are so often forgotten because of appearing in what was mostly just a flashback episode.
      Last edited by WraithTech; 18 August 2017, 12:48 PM.

Comment

They mentioned Todd, at least, so they haven't forgotten about him yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorne View Post
          They mentioned Todd, at least, so they haven't forgotten about him yet.
          True; better than nothing! Being a visual/art person, I like to "see" everyone doing well, especially after all the whumping, LOL, and also to see different artist renditions of the characters. With all the different combinations of sketchers, inkers, and colorers, there is a rich variety.

The Queen from the Kickstarter still hasn't show up either... maybe I will end up doing fanart of a nonexistent character.

Oh, on page 17, there might be a
          Spoiler:
          spy, in the middle of the page, on the far left side, wearing a hood? An informant for Janus, perhaps? Or working for himself or someone else? He kind of looks like he is leering/paying too much attention. His face is too concealed to see if he is a known character or not. He looks suspicious.
          https://giphy.com/gifs/epVGITwvy07xC/html5
          Last edited by WraithTech; 18 August 2017, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithTech View Post
            Oh, on page 17, there might be a
            Spoiler:
            spy, in the middle of the page, on the far left side, wearing a hood? An informant for Janus, perhaps? Or working for himself or someone else? He kind of looks like he is leering/paying too much attention. His face is too concealed to see if he is a known character or not. He looks suspicious.
            https://giphy.com/gifs/epVGITwvy07xC/html5
            I think you're right.

Comment

In regards to the side plot:
              Spoiler:
              Does it seem as if they are in a time dilation field? Their facial hair grew out and the glasses are long gone, suggesting months or years. I can't tell how much time has lapsed for the main plot, but it seems skewed. Geologic events were said to be speeding up. That would seem to suggest the work of an Ancient, such as the cave in "Epiphany." Maybe a trap Janus had hoped to catch John with, as more psychological warfare against him and to get him out of the way? He sure has it out for John. I am also curious how this will fit in with the main story line and how the trapped team members will return and if they will get their years back.

Comment

I wasn't that impressed with this issue to be honest. I think my interest in the comics has waned as I only just remembered that this issue had even been released.

I guess I'm just disappointed that the Greyliens are just a retread of what has come before. I still don't get Janus' endgame. Why is he suddenly
                Spoiler:
                a tyrannical megalomaniac trying to conquer Pegasus? At first it seemed like he blamed John & Co for whatever happened to Elizabeth and was upset about it, but now that isn't even central to his arc? Also, this psychotic break that he's gone through could have been interesting but honestly I find it so one-note. It's a complete 180 from what Janus was shown to be like in the show and it's kind of annoying me.

The whole Chuck/Walter sub plot is going absolutely nowhere and I just skipped through it.

Likenesses were strong enough for me to know who everyone was and that's all I ask for. I'm not that confident in the rest of the series. I'm not that interested in where this is going and I'm sad that this whole story arc has sidelined the Wraith completely, and they're supposed to be the show's primary antagonists.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Hive View Post
                  I still don't get Janus' endgame.
                  Here's to hoping it will be revealed. On page 15,
                  Spoiler:
                  Woosley said something about thinking Janus wanted Atlantis back in Pegasus for a reason. Other people have said the same about the personality of Janus not matching and it would have made more sense to have been an AU version of him to explain that behavior.

The summary at Midtown says it will be revealed in the next issue (alleged release date 10/25): http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/d...earts+_1666056

Originally posted by Super Hive View Post
                  I'm sad that this whole story arc has sidelined the Wraith completely, and they're supposed to be the show's primary antagonists.
                  Based on the cover of the Kickstarter, the expectation was set that they would figure more prominently in the arc. After the antagonist of the arc was revealed, I thought that Todd would gather an alliance with the yet-to-appear Queen on the back of issue #1 and the Wraith would help the Lanteans to fight back. I guess that is my main qualm: characters on covers who do not appear. The same for that cover with the Wraith officer opposite of Ronon who looked like a cross between Kenny and the Broken Ties Commander. Ah, well, I am thankful for the artwork of them at least. Also thankful Todd is not stuck in Area 51.

Oh, and there was a cover with Ronon surrounded by the Greyliens that never happened, suggesting he had been captured. I've learned not to trust those covers, lol.
                  Last edited by WraithTech; 23 August 2017, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Stargate Universe #2 is out as of yesterday though I've not gotten round to buying it yet. Anyone else read it?

Comment

Just about to!

The first trade back for Stargate Atlantis is also now at the printers.
                      sigpic
                      Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Issue 2 was good. I'm feeling better about the "stowaways" already. Hopes are still high! Lol

Comment

I finally got round to reading Issue #2 of SGU. It's an improvement but I'm still not entirely convinced about the story.

The glaring continuity errors about Destiny and Atlantis really soured the experience of reading this issue for me. It's like the writers don't fact check anything before writing their scripts.

At least the plot moved forward this time but these issues always seem to grind to a halt just as anything good is about to happen, but I realise that's due in part to the limitation of storytelling in comic books.

I still dislike Thin!Eli. It was nice seeing a fat main character with as much importance as Eli.

Comment

What continuity errors did you find?

Comment

In literally the first shot of SGA's first episode "Rising", it states that Atlantis left earth "Several Million Years Ago", which implies multiple millions. During SGU, Rush makes it clear that Destiny predates Atlantis by a significant margin.

But in Issue #2:

Spoiler:
                              The ancient lady in charge says that Destiny and Atlantis were competing projects with the same mission in mind (which, given the massive technological disparity between the two ships I severely doubt that) and that Destiny left Earth on its mission only 1 million years ago. StargateWikia also states that Destiny was launched about 50 million years ago, but I can't attest to how accurate that is.

It's not a huge deal but it just bugged me, especially considering the gaff they made with the Traveller's Ancient Warship in the SGA comics, it just doesn't inspire much confidence with how the writers are fact-checking things.

Comment

Ah, yeah. I'm not to SGU in my rewatch yet so I forgot about that. There are definateky issues with the comics...

Comment

Working...
                                X