Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SGA Season Six and SGU S3 Comics (American Mythology)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, to clarify. This is my 'Happy Chinese New Year' gift to y'all, I had sent it to some others, but wanted to be the one to post it myself.

This is the first script of the six-part (cancelled) Icarus comic series. I wrote it several years back! It was based on a very, very rough outline by Robert Cooper, but the story is all mine. The outline was literally 1 sentence along the lines of "After an explosion kills some of his men, Young learns to rely on Greer, a friendship that would last all the way to Destiny and beyond". I don't have a copy of it any more, so my memory might be very unreliable.

I wrote 4 of the 6 episodes before I knew this was going nowhere

#4 was lost by an iCloud crash.
    I still have #2 and #3, and I'm really proud of them.

The goal of the 6 issues was to introduce each of the characters in turn (#2 is Rush's story, and #3 is Telford's), leading to a climax at the planet from 'Air', bringing us up to the start of the story, and in particular showing why the Lucian Alliance attacked.

#1 is based on a Chinese planet called Xi'an, and its colony called Haidan. It's a fun little story with a little stinger at the end. I wrote it in a hotel room in Beijing.

Because the comics were never produced, and because the contract was cancelled without me being paid for the work, please consider this unofficial fan-fic at this point, and enjoy what might have been.

Will follow up with #2 and #3 at some point.
    Author of 'The Legend of the Locust' Sci Fi Series

Worked on SGU (a little)

Comment

Oh, and consider the planet numbers made up for this first draft. If you know anything about Chinese, there's a little in joke in their numbering.

Young mentioned (in SGU) the number of the planet where he was saved by Greer, but I didn't have access to that video when I was writing. In this first draft, it wasn't updated.

A later draft fixed that, but also removed some of the pages to add a story of Eli on Destiny after S2, trying to figure out how to survive, and looking at the relevant pods (Young's in this case) with a view to linking the story to the continuation. I don't really like those drafts, so have posted the earlier ones.

Worked on SGU (a little)

Comment

Must come back to this when I've watched SGU.

Thanks for sharing.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

You don't need to watch SGU first. This is the prequel

Worked on SGU (a little)

Comment

Crickets.

Maybe it was a good thing the comic got cancelled if nobody is interested in it!

Worked on SGU (a little)

Comment

Originally posted by lmoroney View Post
              Crickets.

Maybe it was a good thing the comic got cancelled if nobody is interested in it!

I just read it, and I loved it. At first I didn't have the context and was wondering if this was a parallel Universe or something then I read your post here. It does made me realize how little the Chinese / Asian lore was exploited in SG overall, it could've provided new interesting decors and cultural aspects.

You know what would've been cool, is that your whole script could've been used (with different characters perhaps and a little twist) to show viewers how the LA got onto Destiny in S02. I would totally see this in an SGU movie during a ''Flashback'' where we see how the LA actually boarded Destiny.

Cheers

-Chaka
              Spoiler:
              I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

You don't need to watch SGU first. This is the prequel
                Oh... in that case... I'll know what to do over the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                  You know what would've been cool, is that your whole script could've been used (with different characters perhaps and a little twist) to show viewers how the LA got onto Destiny in S02. I would totally see this in an SGU movie during a ''Flashback'' where we see how the LA actually boarded Destiny.

Cheers

-Chaka
                  I had the 6 issues of 'Icarus' laid out to bring us up to 'Air', and also show the LA motivation for going after Destiny. Had it been successful enough to warrant another 6 issues, that was exactly my pitch -- the flip side of the Story on Destiny of S1 with the LA (and embedded spies) making their way to Destiny.

I never dreamed it would get canned before it even got to issue 1.

Worked on SGU (a little)

Comment

I had the 6 issues of 'Icarus' laid out to bring us up to 'Air', and also show the LA motivation for going after Destiny. Had it been successful enough to warrant another 6 issues, that was exactly my pitch -- the flip side of the Story on Destiny of S1 with the LA (and embedded spies) making their way to Destiny.

I never dreamed it would get canned before it even got to issue 1.
                    It's funny...also...when they first announced 'Origins', I had figured that an SGU origins with these stories as the outline would be perfect, but it seems Origins has gone into hibernation too

Worked on SGU (a little)

Comment

Here's the rest of the scripts:

2. Centripetal Acceleration: Rush origin story

3. Inflitration: Telford's SGU backstory

4. Isotopes: The introduction of a new RC Character, and setting up episodes 5+6 [Unfinished]

5. Project Icarus Part 1. [Unwritten] The story of the expedition to take the 'Air' planet, and the LA scheme to undermine it all, using Earth forces to unlock the 9th Chevron, only for them to take it over.

6. Project Icarus Part 2. [Unwritten] Taking us right up to 'Air'

I really would have loved to see these in print, but apparently MGM cancelled it before we could even get to art design. I know there would have been some major rewrites required because not all actors had given approval to use their likeness. Just read the SGA and SGU comics that were published, and you'll see what I mean

Worked on SGU (a little)

Comment

Question: would you be able to publish these as fanfic with artwork? Because that way, you could use artists and illustrators floating about here and publish it as a special sort of fanfic. Could be a Gateworld exclusive or something.

Comment

If somebody wants to put art to this, they're more than welcome to.

I kinda wash my hands of the whole thing, given how nastily I was treated by TPTB (a story for another day), and how much effort had to go into this to get them ready against a crazy deadline, being offered a tiny fraction of minimum wage, only for that to be left unpaid anyway!

So I quit writing before #4 was finished, waited a few months, saw the Icarus cover get published , saw the whole thing get cancelled (as well as everything else I was working on -- 'To Align the Stars' and some shorts, that ended up getting remixed and put into the ongoing anthology), and can only assume that the common factor getting everything cancelled was me. And that's not the whole story.

But without any communication, I'm left only to speculate.

So, like I said, I kinda wash my hands of the whole thing.

If some fans want to create artwork from this as a fanfic, I'd love to see it, and my only request is they let me know. I'm easy to find

Worked on SGU (a little)

Comment

I assume you were going for comics? Have you thought about another medium, novel or something alike?

I'll take a look at your other stories later on, I do really much enjoy SGU stories and I must say that I was a little bit disappointed at the ... (comic spoiler)

Spoiler:
                            crew of ancients taking over the ship
                            Spoiler:
                            I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Well, that continuation storyline wasn't mine, I was focussed on the prequels, which if successful could become a parallel story (in our Galaxy in parallel to SGU TV show), which if successful could dovetail into the continuation stories.

But it all got canned as soon as it was officially announced with the preview cover, which is kind of weird when you think about it.

As for other media -- I'm open if someone wants me to write a licensed novel, and have reached out to the licensors, but they're focussed on SGA. But I won't make the same mistake that I made last time...

Worked on SGU (a little)

Comment

It's such a shame that Icarus got cancelled. Any news on SGU vol.2 & Ongoing issue #4?

Comment

Working...
                                X