Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast
    Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...

Default Re: Season Six Comics!

Keep the Wraith - they are the Atlantis bad guys since day one. Add a little spice from later seasons, but not the replicators (had enough of those).

But I'd rather they don't listen to the fans and keep them as far away from their project as is humanly possible - story-wise. Money-wise, they just need to stay out of my pocket.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

Chief Master Sergeant

I think they should take any constructive criticism they may receive on board, but I agree that I wouldn't want them to just do anything the fans wanted. They should do what is best for the story, which is what the writers have said they are doing, at least in their opinion.

I'd love to see them dig deeper into the mythos if the Wraith and make them a bit more morally and conceptually interesting than they have been in the past. Space vampires are cool and all but I think they're missing some depth to them. Todd was a step in the right direction towards this end imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Hive View Post
    ...a bit more morally and conceptually interesting...
    How so?

They are/were at the top of the food chain in a manner of speaking (rather literally too ). And Todd never did anything that didn't bring him any sort of gain.

icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon

Chief Master Sergeant

For example: when Keller proposed the gene therapy to take away the Wraith's need to feed, Todd mused what the Wraith would become without their prime motivator being human food supply. Could the Wraith be more than they are if they weren't driven by hunger? Would any of the Wraith even want a life beyond feeding? They are ideas that add a layer or two to the Wraith as a whole.

To me Todd was more interesting than most other Wraith because he could do just that, think beyond food. He could see a bigger picture and manipulated his way to the top. He worked with Atlantis to destroy the Wraith's greatest threat in 10,000 years, the Replicators, and he used Teyla as a means of cementing himself as a leader of a united faction of Wraith. Yes, he was all about looking out for himself, but that made him so much more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Hive View Post
    For example: when Keller proposed the gene therapy to take away the Wraith's need to feed, Todd mused what the Wraith would become without their prime motivator being human food supply. Could the Wraith be more than they are if they weren't driven by hunger? Would any of the Wraith even want a life beyond feeding? They are ideas that add a layer or two to the Wraith as a whole.
    Change scares the living daylights out of every race apparently.

First Lieutenant

I think the Wraith need to be a key focus as villains. I just got tired of the direction they went with in the Legacy novels. I don't know, it started to seem too much like glorified fan fiction I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by lightsyder View Post
    I don't know, it started to seem too much like glorified fan fiction I guess...
    ...which it basically was/is.

First Lieutenant

Well, any tie in media could be called that. I understand the original show creators weren't involved but if MGM gives them approval to write new stories then it is official canon, not fan fiction.

In relation to the original movie the TV series could be called fan fiction since the movie guys weren't involved at all.

Quote Originally Posted by lightsyder View Post
    Well, any tie in media could be called that. I understand the original show creators weren't involved but if MGM gives them approval to write new stories then it is official canon, not fan fiction.
    Sorry dude, not canon.

Cause what would these comics be then? They are season 6, but Legacy also claims to be season 6... Just saying.

And personally, Legacy is bad fanfiction. I've read fanfiction written by those authors and hardly recognized my beloved characters so... no, not canon.

Chief Master Sergeant

If you think about, anything that was made outside if the show runners' control is basically fanfiction. Although, if MGM outright said that these comics were a canon S6, would anyone consider them canon? I've known comic continuations of other shows where people flat out refuse to acknowledge them as canon.

I usually only consider canon what was actually on screen. But I think these guys mention something along the same lines in that Russian interview.

First Lieutenant

Lol...I understand what you are saying. I really like Legacy at the beginning but by the end I was just glad it was over.. The 7th and 8th Legacy books tied up more loose ends in mediocre ways as well. Basically canon is whatever the buyer wants really. MGM isn't overly concerned about it I'm sure even if though they approve the stories. I'm sure die hard fans of the movie feel the same way about the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Sorry dude, not canon.

Cause what would these comics be then? They are season 6, but Legacy also claims to be season 6... Just saying.

And personally, Legacy is bad fanfiction. I've read fanfiction written by those authors and hardly recognized my beloved characters so... no, not canon.

Chief Master Sergeant

When it comes to 'extended universe' type stories and continuations I generally agree that the fans decide for themselves what they accept as canon, which is usually only what is on screen.

If these comics prove themselves in their quality I could see some people accepting them as Season 6, but I'd also totally understand if people don't regard them as such. If anything you could call them Unofficial Seasons and that satisfies most people. I think the term 'fanon' is also used, noting a well told story that is as good as the official material but is still fanfiction.

The idea of SG-1, SGA and SGU possibly being considered fanfiction because they didn't involve Emmerich or Devlin is actually a pretty fair point

Now at 11 and a half K. 1 more thousand to reach the first stretch goal.

Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

First Lieutenant

so close.... I really hope they make the first stretch goal. I think it would really help sell the comics.

Chief Master Sergeant

I wholeheartedly agree. I think a series recap could help sell the series to new fans who know nothing of the series as well as helping fans whose SGA knowledge may be a bit rusty. Just $659 to go! With six days left of the kickstarter campaign I'm really hopeful that it will reach the goal.

Momentum seems to have really slowed down. We need to get sharing again!

Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

First Lieutenant

$224 from stretch goal number 1 now!

But yeah, it has definitely slowed down a good bit...

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
    Momentum seems to have really slowed down. We need to get sharing again!
    From the Kickstarters I've supported, that's pretty normal. Usually the first few days and the last couple days have the most activity

Chief Master Sergeant

Today has been very hit and miss for the Kickstarter, with multiple people backing out or reducing their pledge amount and then others pledging. Now it's more or less back on track only $1 less than it began the day on.