SG-1 on DVD: US vs UK release differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SG-1 on DVD: US vs UK release differences

Hello Gateworld members, I'm currently on my 3rd watch of SG-1... original airings, Hulu and now DVDs!

I was looking around for Stargate merchandise when I came across the UK boxed set. This set is 60 discs including the 2 direct to disc movies. Seasons 2 through 9 are spread across 6 discs each instead of 5 discs per season as it was released in the US. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about why this is different? Specifically is there any better encoding quality with some of these episodes? The US discs have as many as 5 episodes per disc whereas the UK seems to be 4 at most with the extra disc.

I'd assume they were cut from the same master-- I'm just thinking about the digital compression when authored to the discs. I do also understand that seasons 1-3 were shot on 16mm film but is this responsible for all the noise I see on these episodes?

Has anyone ever seen both releases?

Thanks

As far as I know there was no difference in the quality of the picture between the different regions. It was the extras that were different. Some regions got fewer audio commentaries for example.

As for the noise, I really don't know.
    sigpic
    Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

PAL television broadcasts have 625 lines of resolution, compared to NTSC's 525.

More lines = more visual information. Possibly better picture quality and resolution, and probably larger files = not room for as many episodes per disc.
      sigpic

[Save Martouf/Lantash in the movies!] | My fics on Fanfiction.net | My fics on Symbiotica

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I had thought about the resolution difference briefly yesterday and after reading your response did a search. I found a forum where SG-1 DVDs were discussed briefly and a user said the PAL discs were up-converted to the higher resolution. They seem to indicate it was added just for the DVD process and not captured as any real visual data during the process of converting from film to digital.

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7904

I think I'll just move on from this thought. The DVDs are mostly fine and the show is always fantastic.

Comment

Hi, I wasn`t sure if I should start new thread, but the title of this one describes what I`d like to know.

I`m considering buying the whole series on DVD and I want to ask for some help. I have region free DVD player, so it doesn`t matter to me if I buy DVD from UK, other Europian country or USA (I`ll probably buy from amazon anyway), but I care about bonus material, commentaries, interviews, featuretes etc. and I heard there are some differences. I also heard that for example on USA DVD episode Thread has only 42 minutes wherease on some is over 1 hour long. I want to ask if you know which set would be best to buy considering bonus material. I`m also curious if the discs have the tendency to get loose and scrached.
          I would really appreciate your imput.

Comment

I`d like to ask one more thing. Please do you have any idea why there are some much differences between running time of each box set?

USA Stargate SG-1: The Complete Series + The Ark of Truth + Continuum Bundle has Run Time: 9441 minutes

USA Stargate SG-1 Complete Series Seasons 1-10 Collection without movies has Run Time: 9800 minutes

UK Stargate SG-1 - Complete Season 1-10 plus The Ark of Truth/ Continuum Run Time: 9035 minutes

And German Stargate Kommando SG-1 - Die komplette Serie (inkl. Continuum, The Ark of Truth) Run Time: 9300 Minutes
            Last edited by Denisa; 20 November 2017, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Denisa

Maybe this might help you a bit regarding runtimes: Stargate DVD's and Blue-Rays from the Stargate Wiki. They list every feature and extra, you need to know about before you decide to go and buy them.

I have this set for SG-1 (they are individual season sets but they form one gate): The Silver Box set
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Thank you for the link, Falcon Horus. I really appreciate your reply . There is a lot of great info. It's a little pity though that last update was around 2008 and since then more sets were released. It's just little chaotic for a newer fan when you can find three or more differend DVDs with very different infos on them. I wish I knew someone who own one of those newer sets I posted above (either from USA or Europe). I don't have lot of free money that I could spend on that 300 dollars set, but I would like to support my favorite TV show .

Comment

Perhaps ask the question on stargatecommand.co -- it seems there are a lot of folks who've never heard of Gateworld before so they're not dwelling in these parts. Perhaps someone there can help you out with the newer boxes.

Registering is free.

Comment

Thank you for an advice I didn't know I can register when I live outside selected states.

Comment

Originally posted by Denisa View Post
                      Thank you for an advice I didn't know I can register when I live outside selected states.
                      Everybody can register to the website, but only the 6 lucky countries can access the premium features of the website or the app.

I'm not in a elligable country but I am a member of the website -- true, being a freebie is quite boring but there's a strange sort of exiliration watching a trainwreck happening.

Comment

Working...
                      X