Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Divergent Movie/Book Series (BEWARE OF SPOILERS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This looks pretty cool!
    sigpic

Comment

Analysis Chapters 21-24

Tris's success in stage two of initiation shows that what she may lack in Dauntless fighting capabilities and strength, she makes up for in her mental response to fear. Whether this is innate or merely a product of her Divergence is uncertain, but either way, her first place ranking makes her a threat. That Tris's success and strength make her friends feel weak is, of course, not a good sign, but this undoubtedly stems from the demanding and intense competition facing the young initiates. They all came here with the intention of making it through initiation, so when someone threatens that, even if it's a friend, fear and anger are logical responses. But while Will and Christina simply take some time to cool down, Al takes his anger to a whole new level, going so far as to possibly kill one of his best friends in the faction.

Al's choice to betray Tris and join up with Peter and Drew, initiates far stronger than him, shows his mental and emotional inability to handle the pressure that Dauntless throws at him. Did he truly think he had something to gain from this, or that teaming up with Peter and Drew wouldn't turn out to be a huge mistake? They were using him, no doubt, and it's interesting to try and delve into Al's mind and determine what prompted this decision. It may have been a fit of insanity or a cold, calculated choice, but either way, it's pretty clear that at no point did he foresee the terrible consequences of his actions.

The same applies to his suicide; what prompted him to take this route as an escape? The topic of suicide in a society obsessed with the concept of courage is touchy; even in our own society, there has been much debate over whether or not the act of killing oneself is considered brave or cowardly. The current Dauntless administration seems to have decided on the former, but the circumstances suggest that Tris is right to disagree; in the last days of his life, Al was anything but brave. Maybe misguided, maybe foolish, and maybe overwhelmed, but each one of his last actions belied his weakness. Despite his faults, though, it is easy to pity him, since he certainly wasn't evil from the start.

Moving onto stage three of initiation will at last give us a chance to witness Tris's personal fears, and how they may have developed during her time in Dauntless. Will she be able to fight through her fear landscape as easily as she did the stage two simulations? And if she does, will her success bring the Dauntless leaders' wrath upon her at last? The conversation Tris overhears between Eric and the other person suggests that they're zeroing in on her, and that it won't be long before a confrontation occurs. Four is right when he says that Tris needs to watch herself.

Speaking of Four, if Tris has been slowly breaking down the wall he's built up around him over the course of her initiation, than this section is the first time in which it finally starts tumbling down. His utter rage and defensiveness in response to her kidnapping clearly shows that he's feeling something more than an instructor should feel for his initiate, and that he takes her under his wing and watches out for her the night after shows the same. He seems to finally have given in to his instincts and opened up to her, but there are still many more secrets for both to reveal.

For the first time, we have confirmation that he has come from a different faction, and, though he won't say for certain, Tris is starting to believe he was Abnegation. This would explain her mother's recognition of him, plus his avoidance of Abnegation. His name will certainly be a key to uncovering who he was before Dauntless - just like Tris's old name was a connection to her past. Identity is Tris's world is much more grey than the factions would have her believe.
      sigpic

Comment

As you may or may not know...Allegiant all but flopped at the box office last year. While I enjoyed the movie, I was wanting more closure. I heard a fourth movie called Ascendant was in the works. Then due to the box office flop...Ascendant was going to be a TV movie. Now it seems that Ascendant is going to be a TV series on the Starz network. Not sure what to think about this...but I guess it is better than nothing?

Source: Deadline
        sigpic

Comment

Not surprising. Same thing iirc happened with the maze runner sequel..

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
            As you may or may not know...Allegiant all but flopped at the box office last year. While I enjoyed the movie, I was wanting more closure. I heard a fourth movie called Ascendant was in the works. Then due to the box office flop...Ascendant was going to be a TV movie. Now it seems that Ascendant is going to be a TV series on the Starz network. Not sure what to think about this...but I guess it is better than nothing?

Source: Deadline
            With like...all the important people gone and on a network that will not be accessible by a good chunk of the fans.

Not that I care but it is amusing to see the "Part 1 Part 2" scheme backfire for once.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
              With like...all the important people gone and on a network that will not be accessible by a good chunk of the fans.

Not that I care but it is amusing to see the "Part 1 Part 2" scheme backfire for once.
              Yeah...I can see it as a problem. Just like I don't have access to the new Star Trek series.
              sigpic

Comment

My daughter is struggling to finish book 2. I told her to hurry up because the ending is well worth it. I agree the 2nd book was somewhat boring. I'm currently reading "Four". I got the movies and am waiting to watch them with her. My son watched them in the theatre and said the books are way better. He said they left way too much out and changed too much. So I waited to get the movies series at dirt cheap prices.
                Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Originally posted by Angela V View Post
                  My daughter is struggling to finish book 2. I told her to hurry up because the ending is well worth it. I agree the 2nd book was somewhat boring. I'm currently reading "Four". I got the movies and am waiting to watch them with her. My son watched them in the theatre and said the books are way better. He said they left way too much out and changed too much. So I waited to get the movies series at dirt cheap prices.
                  While I agree that a lot was left out and changed, I still enjoyed the movies. I tend to watch film adaptations of novels with a grain of salt. Movies would be 12 hours long if filmmakers included everything!

I use the Divergent novel each year as an opening novel in my English III class. The students seem to enjoy the novel.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X