'Class' - Doctor Who Spin Off Discussion, News & Speculation - SPOILERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    I watched it on the Iplayer through it's first run and enjoyed most of the eps but thought it grew in strength too late,and sometimes it felt like a cheapo version of Buffy rather than Whoniverse-led.
    My favourite characters were Miss Quill ,Tanya and Matteus (sp?) but I didn't dislike any of the characters.

If anyone was squicked by gore they'd possibly have dumped it early on,and it looks like even the delayed viewing counted little in the iplayer charts.
    I'd definitely watch a second season,but doubt it'll happen,unless the Beeb find out they can justify the cost.
    Pity.The final eps were pretty good imo and the reveal of the Headteacher's bosses etc was cool.
    I agree with a lot of this and given the cliffhanger ending I hope that there will be a second series too. But failing that, it would be nice to maybe either get a one-off special episode to tie-up loose ends or bring the storyline over to a future episode of Doctor Who. It seems to me that "The Arrival" could possibly need more than the Coal Hill Defenders to deal with it...like say for example with some help from a certain Time Lord and friends.

I guess it all comes down to how well it gets received when it begins on BBC America on the 15th April. Maybe that will be enough to allow the BBC to recommission it.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
    K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Fady Elsayed will appear in Series 10 so there might be some kind of crossover.
      "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
        I agree with a lot of this and given the cliffhanger ending I hope that there will be a second series too. But failing that, it would be nice to maybe either get a one-off special episode to tie-up loose ends or bring the storyline over to a future episode of Doctor Who. It seems to me that "The Arrival" could possibly need more than the Coal Hill Defenders to deal with it...like say for example with some help from a certain Time Lord and friends.

I guess it all comes down to how well it gets received when it begins on BBC America on the 15th April. Maybe that will be enough to allow the BBC to recommission it.
        Here's hoping for some or all of that! I think if the show gets any extra time,chances are it'll be a crossover,but there's no harm in a bit of optimism,imo.

Originally posted by rushy View Post
        Fady Elsayed will appear in Series 10 so there might be some kind of crossover.
        Sounds cool.
        Hopefully that'll work for the DW viewers and not need too much exposition.
        Spoiler:
        The Coal Hill School connection,a recap of who the characters are in-universe,and a quick flashback to Blink or another Angels story should cover the bases pretty well.
        The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Doctor Who spin-off Class has NOT been axed, says Steven Moffat: "Wait and see!"
          It might still go on and on and on and on.

By Morgan Jeffery
          5 April 2017

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-...lass-not-axed/

© BBC/Simon Ridgeway

It's been four months since the last episode went out and there's still no official word on the fate of Doctor Who spin-off Class.

But Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat has now suggested that reports of the show's cancellation are premature.

"We don't know about that right now, [but] we would love to get more Class made," he said at a launch event for Doctor Who's new series.

© BBC/Simon Ridgeway

"The Weeping Angels [who appeared in the show's finale cliffhanger] cannot be allowed to win, can they? So let's just hope that Coal Hill gets another go."

Class was based around Coal Hill School, a recurring location in Doctor Who, and followed its students as they battled alien monsters and teen angst.

Though we don't have official numbers, a BARB report suggested that the first two episodes didn't make it into the top 50 on-demand programmes for the month that they aired.

© BBC/Simon Ridgeway

However, the series – which was released via BBC Three online – is yet to go out in the US, where it'll be paired with the new series of Doctor Who on BBC America.

"We're in a different world now of how television works, especially on channels [that are] basically online," Moffat said. "Wait and see what's going to happen."

© BBC/Simon Ridgeway

Series star Greg Austin – who plays Charlie – had previously told Digital Spy that there was story potential for more Class.

"There's a long way for these characters to go," he said. "By the end of the series, there's some big choices that have to be made... that leave a lot of room for a lot of big consequences. That's all I'm going to say!"

Doctor Who returns to BBC One on Saturday, April 15 at 7.20pm.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Nope. Don't care.
            sigpic
            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
            To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
            And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

I'm really glad the rumours were premature. Class was certainly better than the Doctor Who Christmas special last year...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

So, is this thing dead or not? It's like everyone's forgotten it already...
                "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
                  So, is this thing dead or not? It's like everyone's forgotten it already...
                  In a recent interview, Class creator and writer Patrick Ness said this when asked about Series 2:

I know it’s all a bit tentative at the moment, but is there anything you can tell us about the likelihood of a possible second series?

Still hopeful, still really really hopeful! I know BBC America is very excited, airing it alongside the new season of Doctor Who; they love the show, and so fingers crossed! Fingers crossed that it’s well received in America. There’s lots to come, and there’s lot of stories to be told, and I’ve got lots of evil plans, so I would love another shot at it.

Full interview here: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/exclusive-...145819279.html

Comment

Patrick Ness Calls Time on Class
                    Sunday, 04 June, 2017 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2017/06...-on-class.html

Patrick Ness writer and creator of the Doctor Who Spin-off Class, has confirmed he will not be writing any more episodes of the series.

The BBC has not officially commented on the future of the series, which was released on the BBC Three online channel last Autumn and shown on BBC America in the last couple of months. However, with the series creator now withdrawing from the drama it looks increasingly unlikely that a second series will be made.

Ness confirmed his withdrawal from any new series on Twitter saying
                    I decided a while back that, with unbelievable regret, I won't be writing anymore Class, even if a season 2 moves ahead. It has been the MOST amazing experience. I loved it, and I am so proud of the show and what we made. My heart just bursts with happy.

But we should be filming right now. With the new cycles of Who, we'd pretty much need to be to be on the air before even 2019. But we're not. And that's just TV and how it goes! Not even the littlest bit bitter.

What an amazing experience. Huge thank yous to BBC Three and BBC America for their love and enthusiasm for Class. BBC America in particular absolutely loves the show.

Class was created to appeal to the young adult market and initially released in the UK on an online platform. The project was part of the BBC's initiative to serve young adult consumers by focusing on online content, a decision that led to the closure of the BBC Three Broadcast channel.

It was hoped that high-quality original content would drive young viewers to the online station, which has struggled to make an impact in the market. However, the decision meant that Class was initially only seen by a fraction of the audience it would have received on a broadcast channel.

The series was later screened on BBC One, but as a late night double bill, where it struggled to find an audience, getting viewing figures around a third of the timeslot average.

Ness, on his Twitter feed, said he was baffled by the scheduling decisions of BBC1, given the show had been a critically-acclaimed show, but reiterated he was grateful for the chance to make it. He talked about some of his plans for Series Two, which will not now be realised.
                    If I had got a 2nd season, Weeping Angel civil war & Planet, Quill has a dangerous son, Charlie & Matteusz shirtless wood chopping. So, yeah, I'm really sad, saddest in my whole career, but it's the right choice.

Ness also paid tribute to the fans of the series and the cast
                    What a lucky man I've been to have been able to make a show I'm so proud of and work with wonderful people. Never even dreamed it. So thank you to everyone who watched and loved it and argued about it and watched it again. You made my heart swell. And I think, truly, that my cast are going to be smashing it for years to come. Pxxxx

Comment

BBC3 confirms Doctor Who spin-off Class has been axed after one series

“The show didn’t really land for us” admits BBC3 controller Damian Kavanagh

By Ben Dowell

Thursday, 7th September 2017 at 4:44 pm

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-...ass-cancelled/

The BBC has officially confirmed that its Doctor Who spin off Class will not be returning for another series.

The drama, written by Young Adult author Patrick Ness, attracted lukewarm reviews when it was shown on BBC3 and in a late night slot on BBC1. Ness has already said he wasn’t writing any more episodes.

However the show had not formally been decommissioned – until today that is, when hopes that the series could continue were finally dashed by BBC3 controller Damian Kavanagh.

Asked by RadioTimes.com whether it would be coming back, Kavanagh said, “No, no.”

“There was nothing wrong with it,” he added. “I thought Patrick did a great job, he explored an amazing world. In honesty it didn’t really land for us on BBC3; some shows don’t and I have to make decisions about what we’re going to do from a drama point of view, and what we did after Class was Clique which worked really well for us.”

The drama centred around Coal Hill School, the modern-day incarnation of the educational establishment which featured in the first episode of Doctor Who, and which has been a location in a number of subsequent stories.

Peter Capaldi’s Doctor appeared in episode one of the show to explain to the classmates their important role in protecting Earth due to a tear in the universe located at the school.

The main characters included Ram, April (Sophie Hopkins), Tanya (Vivian Oparah) Charlie (Greg Austin) and alien teacher Miss Quill (Katherine Kelly).

Comment

Land? It never bloody took off!
                        sigpic
                        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                        To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                        And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

I guess I can clear this space off the DVR. I DVR'ed the entire season, but haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

Not much of a point now.

Comment

HAPPY
                            1st ANNIVERSARY
                            CLASS!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                              BBC3 confirms Doctor Who spin-off Class has been axed after one series

“The show didn’t really land for us” admits BBC3 controller Damian Kavanagh

By Ben Dowell

Thursday, 7th September 2017 at 4:44 pm

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-...ass-cancelled/

The BBC has officially confirmed that its Doctor Who spin off Class will not be returning for another series.

The drama, written by Young Adult author Patrick Ness, attracted lukewarm reviews when it was shown on BBC3 and in a late night slot on BBC1. Ness has already said he wasn’t writing any more episodes.

However the show had not formally been decommissioned – until today that is, when hopes that the series could continue were finally dashed by BBC3 controller Damian Kavanagh.

Asked by RadioTimes.com whether it would be coming back, Kavanagh said, “No, no.”

“There was nothing wrong with it,” he added. “I thought Patrick did a great job, he explored an amazing world. In honesty it didn’t really land for us on BBC3; some shows don’t and I have to make decisions about what we’re going to do from a drama point of view, and what we did after Class was Clique which worked really well for us.”

The drama centred around Coal Hill School, the modern-day incarnation of the educational establishment which featured in the first episode of Doctor Who, and which has been a location in a number of subsequent stories.

Peter Capaldi’s Doctor appeared in episode one of the show to explain to the classmates their important role in protecting Earth due to a tear in the universe located at the school.

The main characters included Ram, April (Sophie Hopkins), Tanya (Vivian Oparah) Charlie (Greg Austin) and alien teacher Miss Quill (Katherine Kelly).
                              Not surprise at all, it was terrible, especially considering what we know BBC 3 can do.

“There was nothing wrong with it,”

Really nothing at all, I thought there was a tonne wrong with this show, which is a shame because the BBC usually know how to do school dramas, adding a layer of science fiction on top shouldn't have been hard.

One of the biggest problems was that they were aiming the show at young adults whilst telling children stories, if you are going to have a show aim at this audience at least write stories that appeal to this audience, this what Fades an Being Human, Torchwood and into the flesh did brilliantly.

There was zero chemistry between the cast, which is a big problem when they all meant to fancy each other.
                              Last edited by knowles2; 31 January 2018, 05:54 PM.

Comment

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/class-returns
                                At lest it's coming back in some form. It may have struggled to find itself some, but I thought it had great promise and I enjoyed it a lot. Rough edges and all.

Comment

Working...
                                X