'Class' - Doctor Who Spin Off Discussion, News & Speculation - SPOILERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Class' - Doctor Who Spin Off Discussion, News & Speculation - SPOILERS

To save me derailing the news thread, I thought we could discuss the upcoming spin off here.

Doctor Who spin-off show Class to bring Buffy and Hunger Games-style adventures to BBC3

The series from Young Adult author Patrick Ness will follow the adventures of pupils at Coal Hill School where "incredible dangers are breaking through the walls of space and time"

By Jonathan Holmes
    Thursday 1 October 2015 at 11:00PM

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-...ntures-to-bbc3

Doctor Who is to get its first spin-off since The Sarah Jane Adventures and Torchwood went off the air.

Class will follow the pupils of Coal Hill School, where current companion Clara Oswald teaches: a present day London setting, but featuring the monsters and sci-fi weirdness fans know from Doctor Who.

“Incredible dangers are breaking through the walls of time and space,” according to the announcement, “and with darkness coming, London is unprotected.”

The eight-part series will begin filming in spring 2016, with a broadcast date later in the year. It’s not yet known whether this will be before or after BBC3’s planned move online.

Class promises “all the action, heart and adrenalin of the best YA fiction,” with The Hunger Games and Buffy the Vampire Slayer referenced as an indication of tone. It’s being written by Young Adult author Patrick Ness, two time winner of the Carnegie Medal for children’s literature and known for books including the Chaos Walking trilogy.

Ness has adapted his novel A Monster Calls for a film starring Liam Neeson – also due to be released next year – but this will be his first television drama series.

"I'm astounded and thrilled to be entering the Doctor Who universe, which is as vast as time and space itself,” Ness said. “I can't wait for people to meet the heroes of Class, to meet the all-new villains and aliens, to remember that the horrors of the darkest corners of existence are just about on par with having to pass your A-Levels."

Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat welcomed Ness to his playground: “No one has documented the dark and exhilarating world of the teenager like Patrick Ness, and now we're bringing his brilliant story-telling into Doctor Who. This is growing up in modern Britain – but with monsters!”

A spin-off starring The Paternoster Gang – fan favourite characters who live in Victorian London – has long been rumoured/wished for among certain fan circles. However, Moffat has always dismissed the idea, saying “I’m always slightly worried that you can’t keep repeating the joke.”
    - Originally posted by Alan in the News Thread.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

So - my view.

I'm not immediately impressed. My first thought is that there is a whole world of spin off potential available, and this has to be the weakest on offer. Buffy was great, but it's been done.

“incredible dangers are breaking through the walls of time and space, and with darkness coming, London is unprotected.” - This upsets me. London is unprotected? Sorry, are UNIT on leave or something? Aren't there *several* great big sodding UNIT bases right in the *heart* of London that are suited to this kind of thing? I mean.... defending London & The Home Counties is what UNIT UK is all about. It would be different if it was.... The North....

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

New Doctor Who has been set almost exclusively in modern day London.. It must be the best protected city in the Who Universe

Why not a series set on Gallifrey during the Time War? Or after? They must be working on a way to get back to the universe. I would much rather see that than more "modern day London"

Comment

Um, straight to online spinoff...? Does that even rank a mention?

Also unimpressed... Presume it's going to be a SJA clone, but without its drawcard.

Unless it were to feature Clara (presumably not given her leaving Who for some Queen thing), or Ian (I'll kill em if they do!), or some character we are soon to meet this series.... I can't see any reason to even call it a Who spinoff.

(That girl from Kill the Moon does not count..! though I'm guessing is to be their... drawcard..?!)
        back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
        "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
        "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
        and lots more!

Comment

This sounds like the dumbest idea ever. We're talking about Doctor Who, a show that has 50 years of intricate history behind it, a show that's been everywhere and nowhere, a show that has so many continuities and rich, tragic characters it can rival superhero comics and they go with the annoying kids in Clara's class that almost nobody ever liked to begin with, the same kids who think time travel is "not cool" and focus on Tumblr and Twitter over being on the moon.

And of course, OF COURSE this is the show that's gonna get the Ian Chesterton cameo, I can just feel it. They put the Brigadier and Jo in SJA, this is gonna get Ian.
          "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

So basically this is the Sarah Jane Adventures but minus the Sarah Jane then ?
            I like Sharky
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
              So basically this is the Sarah Jane Adventures but minus the Sarah Jane then ?
              Yeah - that was my thought... Maybe they could save it if they transfer Clyde to Coal Hill... (Ok, not like I'm a fan of SJA, nor Clyde, but I gather this idea was floated when Liz died...)
              "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
              and lots more!

Comment

London.. magical portal with monsters inside.. set in a school..

It's Primeval with kids, with the vague possibility of a Dalek appearing one day. And probably a lot of teen angst..

Comment

I'll be listening to this if anyone wants me...

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/...1208?range=113

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Unless they cast "somebody", it's really just a nothing... And the fact they've announced it without saying - Martha and Mickey; Coal Hill's new teaching team... then it's nothing.
                    and lots more!

Comment

G'day,

In about a month, Doctor Who's 4th official spinoff - "Class" - will launch on BBC3 in the UK and Space in Canada.

Despite being a teen drama set in Coal Hill School, there will be no Clara, no Danny, no annoying-Moon-girl, probably no one from the Whoniverse, except the Doctor himself guesting in the first episode, supposedly tasking a group of kids with looking after the Earth from the dastardly evils being unleashed via the school... (Cos, that is JUST so what the Doctor would do... right?)

113620.jpg

Cheers

cosmic
                      and lots more!

Comment

Pffft.
                        "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Why NuWho? WHY!?
                          I like Sharky
                          sigpic

Comment

Will it be on BBC America?

Comment

Originally posted by rkgardner2003 View Post
                              Will it be on BBC America?
                              Yes. It'll arrive on BBCA in Spring 2017.

And it has just been reported that it will be on in Australia first on its iView service from October 22nd and then on its ABC2 channel from October 24th.
                              Last edited by Alan; 26 September 2016, 02:32 AM.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                              K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Working...
                              X