Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default 'Class' - Doctor Who Spin Off Discussion, News & Speculation - SPOILERS

To save me derailing the news thread, I thought we could discuss the upcoming spin off here.

Doctor Who spin-off show Class to bring Buffy and Hunger Games-style adventures to BBC3

The series from Young Adult author Patrick Ness will follow the adventures of pupils at Coal Hill School where "incredible dangers are breaking through the walls of space and time"

By Jonathan Holmes
    Thursday 1 October 2015 at 11:00PM

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-...ntures-to-bbc3

Doctor Who is to get its first spin-off since The Sarah Jane Adventures and Torchwood went off the air.

Class will follow the pupils of Coal Hill School, where current companion Clara Oswald teaches: a present day London setting, but featuring the monsters and sci-fi weirdness fans know from Doctor Who.

“Incredible dangers are breaking through the walls of time and space,” according to the announcement, “and with darkness coming, London is unprotected.”

The eight-part series will begin filming in spring 2016, with a broadcast date later in the year. It’s not yet known whether this will be before or after BBC3’s planned move online.

Class promises “all the action, heart and adrenalin of the best YA fiction,” with The Hunger Games and Buffy the Vampire Slayer referenced as an indication of tone. It’s being written by Young Adult author Patrick Ness, two time winner of the Carnegie Medal for children’s literature and known for books including the Chaos Walking trilogy.

Ness has adapted his novel A Monster Calls for a film starring Liam Neeson – also due to be released next year – but this will be his first television drama series.

"I'm astounded and thrilled to be entering the Doctor Who universe, which is as vast as time and space itself,” Ness said. “I can't wait for people to meet the heroes of Class, to meet the all-new villains and aliens, to remember that the horrors of the darkest corners of existence are just about on par with having to pass your A-Levels."

Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat welcomed Ness to his playground: “No one has documented the dark and exhilarating world of the teenager like Patrick Ness, and now we're bringing his brilliant story-telling into Doctor Who. This is growing up in modern Britain – but with monsters!”

A spin-off starring The Paternoster Gang – fan favourite characters who live in Victorian London – has long been rumoured/wished for among certain fan circles. However, Moffat has always dismissed the idea, saying “I’m always slightly worried that you can’t keep repeating the joke.”
    - Originally posted by Alan in the News Thread.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

Default Re: 'Class' - Doctor Who Spin Off Discussion, News & Speculation - SPOILERS

So - my view.

I'm not immediately impressed. My first thought is that there is a whole world of spin off potential available, and this has to be the weakest on offer. Buffy was great, but it's been done.

“incredible dangers are breaking through the walls of time and space, and with darkness coming, London is unprotected.” - This upsets me. London is unprotected? Sorry, are UNIT on leave or something? Aren't there *several* great big sodding UNIT bases right in the *heart* of London that are suited to this kind of thing? I mean.... defending London & The Home Counties is what UNIT UK is all about. It would be different if it was.... The North....

"Five Rounds Rapid"

Major General

Default Re: 'Class' - Doctor Who Spin Off Discussion, News & Speculation - SPOILERS

New Doctor Who has been set almost exclusively in modern day London.. It must be the best protected city in the Who Universe

Why not a series set on Gallifrey during the Time War? Or after? They must be working on a way to get back to the universe. I would much rather see that than more "modern day London"

Captain

Um, straight to online spinoff...? Does that even rank a mention?

Also unimpressed... Presume it's going to be a SJA clone, but without its drawcard.

Unless it were to feature Clara (presumably not given her leaving Who for some Queen thing), or Ian (I'll kill em if they do!), or some character we are soon to meet this series.... I can't see any reason to even call it a Who spinoff.

(That girl from Kill the Moon does not count..! though I'm guessing is to be their... drawcard..?!)
    as seen on YouTube - thecosmichobo
    "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
    "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
    and lots more!

This sounds like the dumbest idea ever. We're talking about Doctor Who, a show that has 50 years of intricate history behind it, a show that's been everywhere and nowhere, a show that has so many continuities and rich, tragic characters it can rival superhero comics and they go with the annoying kids in Clara's class that almost nobody ever liked to begin with, the same kids who think time travel is "not cool" and focus on Tumblr and Twitter over being on the moon.

And of course, OF COURSE this is the show that's gonna get the Ian Chesterton cameo, I can just feel it. They put the Brigadier and Jo in SJA, this is gonna get Ian.

"Change, my dear. And it seems, not a moment too soon." - The Sixth Doctor.

Dean of Brakebills The Flyattractor's Avatar

So basically this is the Sarah Jane Adventures but minus the Sarah Jane then ?
    I like Sharky

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by The Flyattractor View Post
    So basically this is the Sarah Jane Adventures but minus the Sarah Jane then ?
    Yeah - that was my thought... Maybe they could save it if they transfer Clyde to Coal Hill... (Ok, not like I'm a fan of SJA, nor Clyde, but I gather this idea was floated when Liz died...)
    "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
    and lots more!

Major General

London.. magical portal with monsters inside.. set in a school..

It's Primeval with kids, with the vague possibility of a Dalek appearing one day. And probably a lot of teen angst..

I'll be listening to this if anyone wants me...

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/...1208?range=113

"Five Rounds Rapid"

Captain

Unless they cast "somebody", it's really just a nothing... And the fact they've announced it without saying - Martha and Mickey; Coal Hill's new teaching team... then it's nothing.
    and lots more!

Captain

Default New Spinoff - Class

G'day,

In about a month, Doctor Who's 4th official spinoff - "Class" - will launch on BBC3 in the UK and Space in Canada.

Despite being a teen drama set in Coal Hill School, there will be no Clara, no Danny, no annoying-Moon-girl, probably no one from the Whoniverse, except the Doctor himself guesting in the first episode, supposedly tasking a group of kids with looking after the Earth from the dastardly evils being unleashed via the school... (Cos, that is JUST so what the Doctor would do... right?)

113620.jpg

Cheers

cosmic
    and lots more!

Default Re: New Spinoff - Class

Pffft.

"Change, my dear. And it seems, not a moment too soon." - The Sixth Doctor.

Dean of Brakebills The Flyattractor's Avatar

Why NuWho? WHY!?
    I like Sharky

Will it be on BBC America?

Quote Originally Posted by rkgardner2003 View Post
    Will it be on BBC America?
    Yes. It'll arrive on BBCA in Spring 2017.

And it has just been reported that it will be on in Australia first on its iView service from October 22nd and then on its ABC2 channel from October 24th.
    Last edited by Alan; September 26th, 2016 at 03:32 AM.
    THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering
    DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY,TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES, K-9, CLASS and much more...

Class Cast Q&A | BBC Exclusive
    Published on 26 Sep 2016

Watch the cast of BBC Doctor Who spin-off, Class, take part in a previously live-streamed Q&A on YouTube.

DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY,TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES, K-9, CLASS and much more...

Class drops on BBC Three this October

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2016/class

The Doctor Who family is growing, and it’s fantastic to be able to welcome the young new cast of Class in to the Whoniverse.Peter Capaldi

Date:
    Last updated: 23.09.2016 at 17.00
    Category: Drama; BBC Three; Wales; BBC Worldwide

The wait is over! Today BBC Three confirm the new YA drama, Class, written by Patrick Ness, will drop its first two episodes on BBC Three on Saturday 22 October.

Coal Hill acts like a beacon across all of space and time to any being who might want to use it for mischief….you’ll have to be on your guard.

• Class drops on BBC Three, Saturday 22 October with the first and second episode For Tonight We Might Die and The Coach with the Dragon Tattoo
    • Peter Capaldi appears as the Doctor in the opening episode
    • Class World premiere details announced - Thursday 20 October

Peter Capaldi will join the cast of exciting new talent in the opening episode of the series, For Tonight We Might Die. Coal Hill School holds some very dark and deadly secrets in its shadows… but who will survive?

Commenting on his involvement with the new Doctor Who spin-off series, Peter Capaldi, says: “The Doctor Who family is growing, and it’s fantastic to be able to welcome the young new cast of Class in to the Whoniverse.”

It’s a new term at Coal Hill Academy, and students are preparing for their Autumn Prom. But when the school comes under attack, four alienated students must form an unlikely alliance to defeat them. And this incursion is only the beginning.

Charlie (Greg Austin), April (Sophie Hopkins), Ram (Fady Elsayed) and Tanya (Vivian Oparah), assisted by their physics teacher Miss Quill (Katherine Kelly), are charged with a great responsibility by the mysterious alien known as the Doctor (Peter Capaldi) to guard against the creatures of nightmare that want nothing more than to find a way through to Earth and take it for their own.

Patrick Ness has created intriguing and complex characters that have to navigate their way through more than just teenage hormones, exams and detention. Joining them as series regulars are Jordan Renzo (Chosen, Troubled), Pooky Quesnel (The A Word, Accused), Nigel Betts (Boy Meets Girl, Doctor Who). The first two episodes also feature Ben Peel (The Fall, Vampire Academy), Anna Shaffer (Harry Potter, Hollyoaks), Paul Marc Davies (Doctor Who, Torchwood), and Shannon Murray (The Totally Senseless Gameshow).

YA writer and Class creator Patrick Ness, says: “At last, we can tell you a little more about Class! Though there are still many, many secrets to come. Many. Like, a lot. But of COURSE, the Doctor is in episode one! That’s how these things are done. Truly, though, I can't wait for everyone to see the show; we've worked so hard and I'm so proud of it. Soon, soon...”

Damian Kavanagh, Controller, BBC Three, says: “We know lots of BBC Three fans are Doctor Who fans so Class on BBC Three is a perfect fit. It’s nice to be back as part of the Doctor Who family.”

From Writer Patrick Ness, Director Ed Bazalgette (Poldark, Doctor Who), Producer Derek Ritchie, and Executive Producers Patrick Ness, Steven Moffat and Brian Minchin, the BBC Studios Wales production, co-produced with BBC America and BBC Worldwide.

To watch the Class cast YouTube and Facebook streamed Q&A again, please visit the Class website bbc.co.uk/class

For more news and updates, follow the official BBC Class accounts:

CM5

Grab your tickets now!

An exclusive World premiere of the first episode will take place at Rich Mix on Thursday 20 October, the home of Coal Hill Academy, Shoreditch, with doors opening at 6pm.

Tickets are limited and are now available via the BBC Shows and Tours website bbc.co.uk/showsandtours.
    Drawn at random, successful applicants will be allowed a maximum of one pair of tickets each.

Captain

Is Buffy something that people still compare new things to?

If so... This is reeking of Buffy... Maybe... But not in a good way... Cos it's English... It should be trying to reek of Press Gang or something... I guess... I don't know... I'm Australian...
    and lots more!

Quote Originally Posted by cosmichobo View Post
    Is Buffy something that people still compare new things to?

If so... This is reeking of Buffy... Maybe... But not in a good way... Cos it's English... It should be trying to reek of Press Gang or something... I guess... I don't know... I'm Australian...
    I think even today Buffy is a good comparison for a show to make towards. It had great drama, action, peril, humour, romance, character development and I think that should be something most shows (depending on the show you're trying to make) should try to bring in my very humble opinion. If Class is being compared to Buffy...well even if it wasn't a part of the Whoniverse I'd still be tuning in because I have great affection for Buffy and the stories told across its seven seasons. It wasn't perfect all the time but no show can be.

Patrick Ness Introduces Class
    Published on 29 Sep 2016

Writer and creator Patrick Ness introduces Class, our new spin-off show. Watch the full Class livestream: https://youtu.be/VzQ8gZ01yac