Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post The Zygon Invasion (3507 / 907)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO - SEASON 35 (9)
    THE ZYGON INVASION
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3507 (907)
    The Earth faces all-out war with the Zygons after a rogue faction of the shape-shifting aliens kidnap Osgood and demand that the 20 million Zygons living in secret on Earth be allowed to live as who they really are.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; November 1st, 2015 at 01:54 PM.

Default Re: The Zygon Invasion (3507 / 907)

Am I allowed to say that was mediocre and predictable? In fairness I think I'll have to watch it again as I had to keep nipping out but I called most of the 'twists' early... and if I can do that, it's not good.

Also, who the hell trained those UNIT soldiers?!
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.

Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Totally agree, Sealurk. Boring. That's all I can say about it really.

I thought it was great. I mean it was a part one so it's all set up, but nothing wrong with it at all. I confess it was missing a little humour but still.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Jenna Coleman has a very hot "Evil Villainess" look.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

Colonel

Gosh those UNIT soldiers were dumb..

Where did they hire that lot?

So Zygons are the new ISIS. Notice the black posters?

Dr Who gets political how quaint..

Spoiler:
    How did Zygon Clara know so much to fool the Doctor like that?

Is Clara dead yet again?

Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    Jenna Coleman has a very hot "Evil Villainess" look.
    Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed that.

Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by P-90_177 View Post

Me three. She looked amazing doing that evil look.

I enjoyed it... though - I think we've seen plenty of 2 parters this season that didn't need part 1 to simply set up part 2... though this one certainly felt like it was 90% exposition...

Loved the little reference to Harry...

I'm guessing Clara is not dead yet, just as Kate is also not dead... just a bluff... Maybe if the claim was ONLY about Clara... but I'm sure they wont kill Kate off just yet...
    as seen on YouTube - thecosmichobo
    "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
    "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
    and lots more!

Quote Originally Posted by cosmichobo View Post
    I enjoyed it... though - I think we've seen plenty of 2 parters this season that didn't need part 1 to simply set up part 2... though this one certainly felt like it was 90% exposition...

Loved the little reference to Harry...

I'm guessing Clara is not dead yet, just as Kate is also not dead... just a bluff... Maybe if the claim was ONLY about Clara... but I'm sure they wont kill Kate off just yet...
    I suspect that it was Kate who was actually radioing in the message, after she managed to kill the Zygon... It seems like a very Stewart thing to do...

i don't think they're going to kill Clara off anyway. They might strand her an an alternate universe, memory tricks, or some other dodge, but has New Who "killed" any companion who has left the show yet? I don't consider Amy to have been "killed", as she was sent back to a previous time and lived out her life in the past, allowing her to be brought back easily, by a time traveler, anyway.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

I doubt they'll kill her when she leaves either, but if they were to kill any companion she would be the perfect option. I mean She's the impossible girl who spread her existence through all of time and space... She can show up again whenever they like and it wouldn't make the original Clara's death any less meaningful.

Major General

Quote Originally Posted by P-90_177 View Post
    Indeed..

I say kill off "boring, Doctor-wannabe" Clara and keep evil Zygon Clara

They could kill her since she's leaving anyway, it's probably unlikely though...

I guessed wrong, I thought the other lady with Clara (did we ever get her name?) was the zygon...

Looking forward to part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Teddybrown View Post
    I guessed wrong, I thought the other lady with Clara (did we ever get her name?) was the zygon...

Looking forward to part 2
    The other lady was Jac, played by Jaye Griffiths (anybody remember Bugs? She was Ros). Hoping she's not actually dead, I quite liked her character. Actually, I think that's starting to happen quite frequently - "I like this character... aaand they're dead."

I've since watched the episode again, and after the second viewing I do have to say... it's still as bad as I thought it was first time. There are certainly some great things about it, but lots of things just don't make sense.

That said, I do have a bit of an oddball theory. I doubt they'd do it and I haven't thought it through fully so it may not even make sense, but if I'm right it could potentially ruin next week's episode so I'm going to spoiler it here. Read at your own risk.

Spoiler:
    The Doctor isn't the Doctor, he's a Zygon. His mannerisms and speech patterns were slightly off and he keeps referring to 'himself' in the third person (doesn't he at one point say "that's what the Doctor does"?). It would also explain the otherwise glaring plothole - why has the Doctor elected to take a slow, vulnerable plane when he has a TARDIS? Because a Zygon presumably cannot get into or fly the TARDIS.

The political aspect of the episode was very heavy-handed. Different cultures integrating into society, radicalisation, extremist splinter groups and more - very current, very daring to tackle... but I felt it was far too unsubtle. Yes, it needs dealing with, and yes science fiction is often a fantastic way of dealing with subjects we as a society may or may not be comfortable dealing with head-on but it felt like I was being clubbed over the head with it all. And honestly - I watch Doctor Who because I want an escape from the heavy real world issues!
    Last edited by Sealurk; November 1st, 2015 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Added more.
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.

Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Quote Originally Posted by Sealurk View Post
    The other lady was Jac, played by Jaye Griffiths (anybody remember Bugs? She was Ros). Hoping she's not actually dead, I quite liked her character. Actually, I think that's starting to happen quite frequently - "I like this character... aaand they're dead."

I've since watched the episode again, and after the second viewing I do have to say... it's still as bad as I thought it was first time. There are certainly some great things about it, but lots of things just don't make sense.

That said, I do have a bit of an oddball theory. I doubt they'd do it and I haven't thought it through fully so it may not even make sense, but if I'm right it could potentially ruin next week's episode so I'm going to spoiler it here. Read at your own risk.

Spoiler:
    The Doctor isn't the Doctor, he's a Zygon. His mannerisms and speech patterns were slightly off and he keeps referring to 'himself' in the third person (doesn't he at one point say "that's what the Doctor does"?). It would also explain the otherwise glaring plothole - why has the Doctor elected to take a slow, vulnerable plane when he has a TARDIS? Because a Zygon presumably cannot get into or fly the TARDIS.

The political aspect of the episode was very heavy-handed. Different cultures integrating into society, radicalisation, extremist splinter groups and more - very current, very daring to tackle... but I felt it was far too unsubtle. Yes, it needs dealing with, and yes science fiction is often a fantastic way of dealing with subjects we as a society may or may not be comfortable dealing with head-on but it felt like I was being clubbed over the head with it all. And honestly - I watch Doctor Who because I want an escape from the heavy real world issues!
    Interesting theory actually... You could be right.

1. Yes,
    Spoiler:
    the UNIT soldiers were idiots.

2. But I am starting to like Jac...and yeah...sure they talked about the possibility of Clara being a Zygon ages back...though it's obvious that she only got doubled in this ep.

3. Interesting point about the Doctor being a Zygon...I'm wondering if Sealurk is half right...the Doctor's using the plane so that he can potentially pose as a Zygon who can't accsess the TARDIS!

Still...liked this ep a lot!
    Last edited by Skydiver; November 1st, 2015 at 05:12 PM.

Yes, it almost felt like we were watching NCIS or something, rather than our universe travelling Doctor...

My brain processes didn't really flag this as an issue though... rather, it just started collating past episodes that had tackled "modern" issues...

Why the hell did Kate go on her own?! Yes, UNIT forces stretched... but... And... yes, now you mention it, I totally agree she's offed the Zygon and then assumed its role...

If they hadn't "cloned" Clara, I'd go with the Doctor/Zygon theory... but I don't think they'll both be Zygoned. Mind you... face-to-face Capaldi/Capaldi... would be a great image.
    as seen on YouTube - thecosmichobo
    "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
    "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
    and lots more!

I am surprised this Episode was even allowed to Air with whats going on in Europe or the World in general. I liked it, I was ripped out of the story alot though when I noticed the social commentary and the political play in this Episode. It is a thematic the UK and Europe have to confront, still having it in the entertainment feels just annoying. Thats like Twillight talking about abortion.
    Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
    Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
    There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Quote Originally Posted by tomstone View Post
    I am surprised this Episode was even allowed to Air with whats going on in Europe or the World in general. I liked it, I was ripped out of the story alot though when I noticed the social commentary and the political play in this Episode. It is a thematic the UK and Europe have to confront, still having it in the entertainment feels just annoying. Thats like Twillight talking about abortion.
    It's what Sci-Fi does best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast