The Zygon Invasion (3507 / 907)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
    The other lady was Jac, played by Jaye Griffiths (anybody remember Bugs? She was Ros). Hoping she's not actually dead, I quite liked her character. Actually, I think that's starting to happen quite frequently - "I like this character... aaand they're dead."

I've since watched the episode again, and after the second viewing I do have to say... it's still as bad as I thought it was first time. There are certainly some great things about it, but lots of things just don't make sense.

That said, I do have a bit of an oddball theory. I doubt they'd do it and I haven't thought it through fully so it may not even make sense, but if I'm right it could potentially ruin next week's episode so I'm going to spoiler it here. Read at your own risk.

Spoiler:
    The Doctor isn't the Doctor, he's a Zygon. His mannerisms and speech patterns were slightly off and he keeps referring to 'himself' in the third person (doesn't he at one point say "that's what the Doctor does"?). It would also explain the otherwise glaring plothole - why has the Doctor elected to take a slow, vulnerable plane when he has a TARDIS? Because a Zygon presumably cannot get into or fly the TARDIS.

The political aspect of the episode was very heavy-handed. Different cultures integrating into society, radicalisation, extremist splinter groups and more - very current, very daring to tackle... but I felt it was far too unsubtle. Yes, it needs dealing with, and yes science fiction is often a fantastic way of dealing with subjects we as a society may or may not be comfortable dealing with head-on but it felt like I was being clubbed over the head with it all. And honestly - I watch Doctor Who because I want an escape from the heavy real world issues!
    Interesting theory actually... You could be right.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

1. Yes,
      Spoiler:
      the UNIT soldiers were idiots.

2. But I am starting to like Jac...and yeah...sure they talked about the possibility of Clara being a Zygon ages back...though it's obvious that she only got doubled in this ep.

3. Interesting point about the Doctor being a Zygon...I'm wondering if Sealurk is half right...the Doctor's using the plane so that he can potentially pose as a Zygon who can't accsess the TARDIS!

Still...liked this ep a lot!
      Last edited by Skydiver; 01 November 2015, 04:12 PM.
      I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Yes, it almost felt like we were watching NCIS or something, rather than our universe travelling Doctor...

My brain processes didn't really flag this as an issue though... rather, it just started collating past episodes that had tackled "modern" issues...

Why the hell did Kate go on her own?! Yes, UNIT forces stretched... but... And... yes, now you mention it, I totally agree she's offed the Zygon and then assumed its role...

If they hadn't "cloned" Clara, I'd go with the Doctor/Zygon theory... but I don't think they'll both be Zygoned. Mind you... face-to-face Capaldi/Capaldi... would be a great image.
        back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
        "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
        "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
        and lots more!

Comment

I am surprised this Episode was even allowed to Air with whats going on in Europe or the World in general. I liked it, I was ripped out of the story alot though when I noticed the social commentary and the political play in this Episode. It is a thematic the UK and Europe have to confront, still having it in the entertainment feels just annoying. Thats like Twillight talking about abortion.
          Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
          Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
          There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Originally posted by tomstone View Post
            I am surprised this Episode was even allowed to Air with whats going on in Europe or the World in general. I liked it, I was ripped out of the story alot though when I noticed the social commentary and the political play in this Episode. It is a thematic the UK and Europe have to confront, still having it in the entertainment feels just annoying. Thats like Twillight talking about abortion.
            It's what Sci-Fi does best.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Most of DS9 felt to me like it was a political statement of some kind or other...
              "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
              and lots more!

Comment

I have to say... I loved this episode.

I loved the political themes echoing real life issues, and the little benefits digs.

But most of all, I loved seeing proper hard UNIT tech. Unmanned Combat Aerial Vehicles, overseas UNIT installations, safe houses, the whole lot. It was Christmas for me ^_^

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                  I have to say... I loved this episode.

I loved the political themes echoing real life issues, and the little benefits digs.

But most of all, I loved seeing proper hard UNIT tech. Unmanned Combat Aerial Vehicles, overseas UNIT installations, safe houses, the whole lot. It was Christmas for me ^_^

What about the church scene? Did you like that?
                  Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                    What about the church scene? Did you like that?
                    I'm not as scathing of it as some people are. I read a very interesting article which highlighted just how much mind****ery must have been going on at that point and it shows that UNIT soldiers are human, not robots, which is important. I think it was a powerful scene, especially as it WAS possible, even if only remotely so, that their loved ones had been kidnapped. My only beef with the scene is the MANNER in which the section entered the church (weapons down).
                    Last edited by Flyboy; 04 November 2015, 01:20 AM.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Yes... I felt it was crazy they would go in completely at ease...
                      and lots more!

Comment

Apart from it being a rip off of Men in Black, i did not like the plot at all. Surely there are millions of habitable planets the Zygons can go to?
                        "You don't know half of it".
                        Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
                        (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

Comment

Originally posted by GodAtum View Post
                          Apart from it being a rip off of Men in Black, i did not like the plot at all. Surely there are millions of habitable planets the Zygons can go to?
                          ... MiB rip off?

How on earth did you get that?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                            ... MiB rip off?

How on earth did you get that?
                            Aliens hiding among humans, with an organisation trying to keep them secret.
                            "You don't know half of it".
                            Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
                            (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

Comment

Originally posted by GodAtum View Post
                              Aliens hiding among humans, with an organisation trying to keep them secret.
                              That's hardly an original MiB concept, and in fairness to Doctor Who the approach that they took was particularly unique with a very specific DW backstory propping it up...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Political commentary is no stranger to Science Fiction, and it can make for a very nice additional aspect to a show. RDM's "Battlestar Galactica" certainly had plenty of political commentary, and the recently concluded "Continuum" was built around differences in political/governmental systems, and if you ask me, was a direct warning and prediction for the U.S.

Comment

Working...
                                X