Before the Flood (3504 / 904)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before the Flood (3504 / 904)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO - SEASON 35 (9)
    BEFORE THE FLOOD
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3504 (904)
    The Doctor returns to the past where he must confront the alien warlord who is turning innocent victims into transmitters -- only to learn that the Doctor himself may have to die. In the future, Clara and the other survivors of the underwater outpost struggle to survive when it looks like there may be no way out.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 11 October 2015, 08:50 PM.

Definately need to rewatch this one, timey wimey...

Comment

I'm going to have to watch it again as well to fully grasp the timey wimey bits too.

But my first impression is one of disappointment. I thought the episode last week was absolutely fantastic, but this one just wasn't of the same standard. I was a little bored in the middle of the episode to be honest.

Prentis the undertaker was vaguely irritating and not particularly funny. The Fisher King was a great monster but he was disposed of too easily. I'd already guessed it was the Doctor in the sarcophagus, so no surprises there. I thought Clara was really annoying, selfish and self-centred. As Cass commented, she is quite happy at the moment to risk other people's lives. I loved Cass & Lunn and thought it very sad that O'Donnell couldn't be saved.

Comment

Lol. Once again I'm surprised by people saying they're surprised by the Timey Wimey when I understand it all perfectly.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

1. Well that's one way round working out the identity of the village..make it a Cold War training village.

2. Interesting bootstrap paradox...those are strange things...

3. Clara's still trying to be the Doctor...and it didn't really work in this ep.

4. The genuine article pulled a pretty good stunt though.

Solid enough
          I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Great episode made even better by the Doctor's curiously fourth wall breaking intro and rock cover of the theme tune. I'll need to watch it again as well, but more for the lines and bits I missed than the timey-wimey... which I think I got. Thoroughly enjoyable.
            And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
            sigpic
            Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

What did people think of the theme tune? I liked it.

Comment

It was OK, if a tad indulgent, like a few parts this season have been.

At least this episode actually made sense, even if some of it was only hinted at.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                  What did people think of the theme tune? I liked it.
                  loved it.
                  Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I liked the theme tune too. It was fun.

Talking of which... The clockwork squirrel made an appearance.

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
                      Great episode made even better by the Doctor's curiously fourth wall breaking intro and rock cover of the theme tune. I'll need to watch it again as well, but more for the lines and bits I missed than the timey-wimey... which I think I got. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Well I interpreted it as the Doctor talking to Clara and we see her POV..
                      Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

I thought the teaser before the credits was really breaking the 4th wall. I have very mixed feelings about this episode. I just am not sure how I feel.

Did anyone pick up on the easter egg. The name on the amplifier was the Magpie as in the episode "The Idiot's Lantern."

20 minutes into last week's episode I tagged the Doctor as being the one inside the casket...

5/10

BTW the dam might flood the town but how can it stay flooded? Water recedes over time... doesn't it?
                        Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

I'm not sure why but I loved the fourth wall breaking intro with the Doctor talking - apparently - to us, the audience. I think he did this in Listen as well.

Great spot, Blen. Hadn't seen the clockwork squirrel - or the Magpie Electricals amp it's sitting on!

LOVED the rock intro - seem to remember reading/hearing that was actually Capaldi playing (he used to be a in a punk band). Somehow wouldn't surprise me, but even if it isn't it is still awesome and suits the sort of carefree, aging rocker persona that Twelve has developed. He really is the biggest Doctor Who fan of us all, isn't he?

I really liked O'Donnell, I adored her "It's bigger on the inside!" squeeing fit, and I am quite sad she didn't make it because I was seriously hoping she'd be the next companion - much like another Toby Whithouse character, Rita from The God Complex. That said, she didn't half grab the idiot ball and run with it when the Fisher King cuts the group off from the TARDIS. "Let's split up!" Seriously? Are horror movies just not a thing in the 22nd century?

Liking how arc-light this series seems to be so far, or at least how much more subtle the show is about any kind of running arc. The Minister of War reference intrigued me though.

"If you'd occupied us you'd be home by now."

The idea of Toby Whithouse eventually replacing Moffat is an increasingly attractive one based on his recent output and his characters (which I sometimes think are Moffat's weakness).

Clara is really bugging me now, her personality is not in any way endearing and her (latest) rant at the Doctor just made her sound bossy, selfish, childish, demanding, controlling and just simply egomaniacal. I am actually looking forward to the character leaving the show now.

The book Prentis is holding when the Fisher King kills him, Celestial Almanac - I'm now wondering if that's an easter egg, a portent of things to come or just a cool prop.

Twelve is certainly a lot darker and colder than most Doctors. Admittedly he did try to prevent O'Donnell's demise, but as Bennett said, not very hard. Clara's headed the same way but doesn't disguise it as well.

Peter Serafinowicz on typically fine and creepy form doing the voice of the Fisher King (why is he called that? Isn't that an Arthurian legend?). Slipknot's Corey Taylor only does his roar apparently.

The bait-and-switch with the suspended animation pod was reasonably predictable but clever.

How come the other ghosts treated the Doctor's holo-ghost as one of them?

Why didn't the Fisher King run to the hearse when the dam blew? If his survival instinct was that strong wouldn't it have been better to seal yourself in a water-tight vehicle than just stand and roar at an oncoming wall of water?

Overall a very strong and enjoyable episode. Particularly loved the use of the bootstrap paradox / causality loop, nice to see somebody other than Moffat doing timey-wimey (actually, as at least one article has said, Whithouse may have just out-Moffated Moffat). Definitely loving the focus on two-parters, and I definitely think that this is setting up a format change for the next year or perhaps more. A return to slightly more serial stories with little or no arc is, for me at least, very welcome.
                          And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                          sigpic
                          Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post

Clara is really bugging me now, her personality is not in any way endearing and her (latest) rant at the Doctor just made her sound bossy, selfish, childish, demanding, controlling and just simply egomaniacal. I am actually looking forward to the character leaving the show now.

I found this development in Clara to be very disturbing. She is quite willing to have Lunn risk his life, much to Cass' distress, but she isn't willing to risk her own. Later, Cass has to nearly force Clara to go out & look for him. All Clara seems to care about is herself and continuing her exciting adventures with the Doctor. After Clara lost Danny you would think that she would have some sympathy for Cass and her anxiety about Lunn but no, she insists that Lunn goes out of the Faraday cage to find the phone (which incidentally is never needed again). She then has the hypocrisy to comfort Bennett about losing O'Donnell.

I've been racking my brains trying to think of a companion who would behave in a similar selfish fashion and the only one who I could come up with is Vislor Turlough. I think every companion before this (apart from Turlough) would have gone out to find the phone themselves. I do think that Clara will end up paying for her selfish self-centred attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
                              I'm going to have to watch it again as well to fully grasp the timey wimey bits too.

But my first impression is one of disappointment. I thought the episode last week was absolutely fantastic, but this one just wasn't of the same standard. I was a little bored in the middle of the episode to be honest.

Prentis the undertaker was vaguely irritating and not particularly funny. The Fisher King was a great monster but he was disposed of too easily. I'd already guessed it was the Doctor in the sarcophagus, so no surprises there. I thought Clara was really annoying, selfish and self-centred. As Cass commented, she is quite happy at the moment to risk other people's lives. I loved Cass & Lunn and thought it very sad that O'Donnell couldn't be saved.
                              Agreed on all counts.

Distinctly average conclusion to a great opening. I loved the classic feel of the first part, with the under water base, being cut off, and the military vs corporate tensions. This just seemed so underwhelming on all counts...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X