Under the Lake (3503 / 903)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Under the Lake (3503 / 903)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO - SEASON 35 (9)
    UNDER THE LAKE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3503 (903)
    After the discovery of an alien vessel deep under water, the Doctor and Clara arrive at a research base where the frightened crew are under attack from what appear to be ghosts.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 06 October 2015, 09:43 PM.

Intruiging first part and looking forward to seeing how it all gets resolved!

Comment

Very enjoyable, some great lines and moments (LOVED the flash cards/prompts ) and an interesting set up for part two.
      And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
      sigpic
      Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Forgot how much I love Doctor Who two parters, being slightly confused for the first part...

Comment

I really enjoyed this one. Three solid episodes so far -- series 9 is looking to be a huge improvement over last year already. Can't wait for next week.

Anybody else notice that one of the flash cards was a sweet little reference to Sarah Jane?
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I was kind of hoping the aliens would be something like the Vashta Nerada....

There is one thing in new who that does bug me and it's happened more in "new who" then old who but when a big bad is about to kill them all the Doctor will say something like "look me up" and then suddenly the bad guys give them time....

Like what's that? Is the Doctor that bad ass that bad guys back off when they look him up?
            Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Certainly, 2 parters are finally alive and well... thus far.

Gonna have to watch it again, cos had 2 kids and a possibly-pre-labouring wife to ignore whilst watching...
              back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
              "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
              "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
              and lots more!

Comment

I'll say I am excited for part 2
                Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post

There is one thing in new who that does bug me and it's happened more in "new who" then old who but when a big bad is about to kill them all the Doctor will say something like "look me up" and then suddenly the bad guys give them time....

Like what's that? Is the Doctor that bad ass that bad guys back off when they look him up?
                  Because as far as history is concerned he wiped out both the Timelords and the Daleks, ontop of any number of feats tat he has performed and killing a lot of monsters in the process.
                  Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Watched it again, as usual.

"Was it something she said? She does that. She once had an argument with Ghandi."

Probably something small, but it tripped my significance-detector anyway: how does O'Donnell know of the Doctor? I suppose if she's military and they're aware of UNIT they've been briefed - their reaction to the craft being alien was telling, presumably it's fully public now. Never mind, answered my own question.

Ah, Tivoli. Should we all join in a rousing chorus of "Glory to <insert name here>" in honour of the return of the most cowardly and invaded race in existence? Though it raises the question... what was he doing on Earth? Why would such a cowardly alien come here? If Tivoli took the gold in the Being Invaded By Aliens event, surely Earth snatched the silver?

Love the cards. Perfect, perfect touch for this Doctor. I hope we see them again. Also, for the hell of it, here they are, excluding the one the Doctor read out:
                    • I completely understand why it was difficult not to get captured.
                    • It was my fault, I should have known you didn't live in Aberdeen. If you didn't get it, this was the Sarah-Jane reference Digi mentioned
                    • I didn't mean to imply that I don't care.
                    • No-one is going to get eaten/vapourised/exterminated/upgraded/possessed/mortally wounded/turned to jelly, we'll all get out of this unharmed.

"Why can you only handle metal objects?" Hmm, missed this first time around - Capaldi's delivery was a tad fast for me, but it fit the scene.

Cloister bell and a very unhappy and, dare I say it, scared TARDIS... that's ominous. I like ominous. Doctor Who needs more ominous. Also, taking into account what the Doctor says about the ghosts and remembering how she reacted to Captain Jack after he'd become a fixed point... the TARDIS really doesn't like unnatural things.

"So can I stop now?" "Please, please do." Brilliant little moment, great acting on both parts.

This might be the first episode where I actually like Clara (not counting her Asylum of the Daleks echo/splinter).

Anybody else thinking O'Donnell is going to be another almost-companion?

"You took it apart and used the pieces to make a clockwork squirrel" made me laugh more than I care to admit.

The moment the new ghost even starts to appear, you know exactly who it is. Why is another matter entirely... definitely looking forward to part two. If the rest of the series continues with the same quality as this and The Witch's Familiar I am going to seriously enjoy it.
                    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                    sigpic
                    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Yes - this is the season we should have had last season... **** the Am I A Good Man ****... just get into some really good, exciting, scary stories!

My nearly 8 year old - at times I watched him pretty closely, as those ghosts could be pretty scary I imagine... (not quite the same as Event Horison, but still..) But whilst he was quite... quiet... at times, he coped well, and was incredibly excited, and talking for hours later about what could happen in part 2...

I just hope part 2 holds the pace, doesn't slack off, and doesn't involve too much Big Red button-ing...
                      back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                      "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                      "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                      and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post

In a word: Yes. He does have quite an impressive track record.

Comment

I agree with the posters above who say this is a marked improvement over last year. Seems that it took a season for everything to gel, as happens with some shows and even franchises.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                            I agree with the posters above who say this is a marked improvement over last year. Seems that it took a season for everything to gel, as happens with some shows and even franchises.
                            See I always felt that way about series 2. It has some good episodes, (Including the Satan Pit two parter which this did feel very similar to) but on the whole there is a lot left to be desired from it in terms of story and it was weaker than series 1 and the series that came after it.
                            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
                              Certainly, 2 parters are finally alive and well... thus far.

Gonna have to watch it again, cos had 2 kids and a possibly-pre-labouring wife to ignore whilst watching...
                              From the episode titles this looks like a whole season of two parters

That's what Doctor Who needs, more time to develop stories. Not just alien thing happens, witty one liner from the Doctor and everything is back to normal all within 45 minutes.. It always seems rushed. Now if they could just figure out that "Season long arc" doesn't mean mysterious thing in the first episode, vague hint in the fifth and then all revealed in the last one..

Comment

Working...
                              X