• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another battlestar galactica reboot?

Something to ruminate on.

New 'Battlestar Galactica' movie will completely reimagine the sci-fi tale

By Rich McCormick

Universal is preparing to start work on a Battlestar Galactica movie. Variety says the studio is planning to completely reimagine the sci-fi story — in which space-bound humans fend off the attacks of nefarious cybernetic Cylons as they try to find a new home — just five years after the four-season Syfy TV show drew to a close. The planned film would mark the second time Battlestar Galactica has been rebooted after the original show aired in 1978.

Jack Paglen, the writer of the upcoming Transcendence, has agreed to pen the reboot's screenplay. Paglen is a hot property for studios wanting to create sci-fi at the moment: he's also slated to write Ridley Scott's Prometheus sequel. Glen Larson, who worked on the 1970s TV series, will produce the film, but there's no confirmation yet on who'll take on the role of director. Bryan Singer was originally attached to a Battlestar Galactica movie project in 2011, but the production was put on hold in 2013 after the director committed to working on new X-Men movies. Having agreed to direct 2016's X-Men: Apocalypse, Singer is unlikely to have time to work on developing a new Battlestar.

SOURCE:VARIETY

Next thing we know they'll be announcing a Game of Thrones reboot next year....

So many ideas they could use and instead they want to do something that's been done before. Don't get me wrong I love BSG (even the 70's version) but this is kind of excessive.

Comment

Why this incessant need to reboot everything? Has everyone in Hollywood been the recipient of a brain injury that takes away their ability to form independent thoughts, or is it just idiots who want to make their teenhood fanfics a reality?

I could see the point of the reboot in the 2000s because so much time had elapsed, but this is ridiculous. They should continue the TV show, and if they can't get the actors onboard they should try another spin off or a movie based on the established mythos of the show.

I'm sick of reboots. It's a cheap nasty way of making money with minimal effort and minimal respect to the source material all while showing minimal respect to fans because they clearly think we'll just buy anything our favourite shows' names are attached to.
      sigpic
      Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Something seems to be outdated here...
        Glen Larson, who worked on the 1970s TV series, will produce the film, but there's no confirmation yet on who'll take on the role of director.
        Glen Larson passed away November, 2014.

There has been talk of another reboot for years, pretty much since RDM Galactica ended.
        I don't think anything is actually happening, though.

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay View Post
          Why this incessant need to reboot everything? Has everyone in Hollywood been the recipient of a brain injury that takes away their ability to form independent thoughts, or is it just idiots who want to make their teenhood fanfics a reality?

I could see the point of the reboot in the 2000s because so much time had elapsed, but this is ridiculous. They should continue the TV show, and if they can't get the actors onboard they should try another spin off or a movie based on the established mythos of the show.

I'm sick of reboots. It's a cheap nasty way of making money with minimal effort and minimal respect to the source material all while showing minimal respect to fans because they clearly think we'll just buy anything our favourite shows' names are attached to.
          I am in agreement. I would much rather they continue with blood and chrome, showing the actual cylon war leading up to armistice..

Comment

Given a choice, I'd rather see a continuation of TOS.

And TOS left a good jumping off point; If you recall, at the end of the series finale, "The Hand of God", a long forgotten deep space signal monitor intercepts radio signals from the Apollo moon landing in 1969.. They could have them follow that radio signal's direction & have adventures during the trip, or they could go forward in time to where they are close to finding the source; us.

Comment

They already did so, with Galactica 1980!

Comment

I vaguely remember the original series my older sister watched it and I do remember watching the reruns but I loved RDM's reboot but I think it is not good idea to do this
                sigpic
                My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

I wonder.. Are they going to keep with the newer one's reliance on 'firearm like' cannons, or go back to the energy weapons of the original?

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                    They already did so, with Galactica 1980!
                    Well, I was meaning a more serious telling of the story. Aside from the 3 episode Xavier / time travel story arc and the finale, G1980 was a joke.

Comment

That it was. Personally i would have rather they spent more time trying to convince that doctor they initialy tried to get with, to work with them to make the earth better off in resisting a cylon attack should it have come..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                        That it was. Personally i would have rather they spent more time trying to convince that doctor they initialy tried to get with, to work with them to make the earth better off in resisting a cylon attack should it have come..
                        Xavier actually had the right idea; nudging Earth's technology along from the past was probably the best way to prep. Earth for contact with the Cylons, but not having taken the time to study the culture in detail, he picked the wrong side to feed advanced tech to in WWII.

If I recall correctly, although it was not shown on TV, the novelization of that has Xavier escaping to various points in the past after he is run out of Nazi Germany. It would have been a nice story arc for the series, until ABC decided to kill it again and moved it to Family Viewing Hour, and they had to go with the silly, kid-centric stories.

Comment

I said it in 2009 when this news first appeared, I'm saying it again here, and I bet I'll still be saying it in another 5 years: I'll believe it when I see it.

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                          Well, I was meaning a more serious telling of the story. Aside from the 3 episode Xavier / time travel story arc and the finale, G1980 was a joke.
                          ...and BSG78 wasn't?!
                          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                            I said it in 2009 when this news first appeared, I'm saying it again here, and I bet I'll still be saying it in another 5 years: I'll believe it when I see it.

...and BSG78 wasn't?!
                            No, it wasn't. Not by a long shot.
                            First, it was very well received by the audience, frequently winning its time slot.
                            It won the People's choice award for "Favorite New TV Dramatic Program" and took home an Emmy for its special effects. It was also nominated for several other awards. More impressively, it has a strong fan base even now, nearly 40 years later.

The thing is you can't compare TV produced in the modern era to TV produced in the 1970's. Back then, there were 3 tv networks, and PBS. Some few lucky people had an independent station in range too. (Over the air; Cable / Satellite was not yet available for most) So at most. people had 5 stations to choose from.
                            The TV environment was way different in other ways, too. The network's standards and practices departments rigidly censored all programming, as did the FCC.

Might as well try to compare the Wright brothers first airplane which flew at Kitty Hawk with a modern supersonic jet fighter. There is no comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                              ...and BSG78 wasn't?!

At least when compared to NuBSG, it was a FUNNY joke.

and we don't talk about BSG1980.
                              I like Sharky
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X