Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39
  1. #21
    Major General LtColCarter's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Mesquite, TX
    Posts
    14,166

    Default Re: Another battlestar galactica reboot?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Flyattractor View Post
    That's pretty much how I felt about the New Show. Except that it didn't have a sense of humor at all. It took it self WAY to seriously and the acting was just as "Campy" but in the opposite direction. And NO BODY treated it like a DRAMA! It was an ACTION ADVENTURE SHOW!!!! Back in the day when it could be a ACTION ADVENTURE SHOW. Not a Soap Opera In Space!
    My feelings exactly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
    I HATE the Soap Opera term.

    The West Wing is not a Soap Opera. It's drama.

    Just because a sci-fi shows chooses to focus on the lives of its characters doesn't make it a soap, it makes it a bloody drama.

    Soap-Operas are very different, especially American ones.
    Hate the term all you want...the most recent iteration of BSG felt like a soap that my Grandma used to watch. I used to call it "As the Spaceship Turns."

  2. #22
    Harvey jelgate's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Beach of naked Sebeceans and margarita shooter
    Posts
    35,023

    Default Re: Another battlestar galactica reboot?

    Just because it feels like something does make it true
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

  3. #23
    Major Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,395

    Default Re: Another battlestar galactica reboot?

    The term "soap opera" arose from the TV serials that used to dominate daytime TV before the mass entry of women into the workplace. General Hospital, Days of Our Lives, and so forth. The primary activity in these shows was who was cheating on whom and other stuff focusing on relationships and such, and the primary audience was housewives, whom advertisers tried to sell soap and other home care products to. Hence the term "soap opera".

    So today, any show that focuses on the he'in and she'in and reletionship/emo stuff fits the tag "Soap Opera". RDM Galactica certainly contained enough of this kind of content that I can see the term being applied to it.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  4. #24
    Harvey jelgate's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Beach of naked Sebeceans and margarita shooter
    Posts
    35,023

    Default Re: Another battlestar galactica reboot?

    By that definition all shows with drama are soap operas
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

  5. #25
    Major Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,395

    Default Re: Another battlestar galactica reboot?

    Well, these days, most content these days has a fair amount of "soapyness" in it.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  6. #26
    Harvey jelgate's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Beach of naked Sebeceans and margarita shooter
    Posts
    35,023

    Default Re: Another battlestar galactica reboot?

    Not just current. Look how many times Kirk from Star Trek had these relationships with women. Star Trek is a soap opera
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

  7. #27

    Default Re: Another battlestar galactica reboot?

    Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    Not just current. Look how many times Kirk from Star Trek had these relationships with women. Star Trek is a soap opera

    No, if they called him up 3 months later saying they were about to have his love child, and Spock claiming to be the dad and somebody shooting Bones before he can prove who the dad is...then it would be a Soap.
    I like Sharky

  8. #28
    Lieutenant General poundpuppy29's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    17,781

    Default Re: Another battlestar galactica reboot?

    I really hate the Soap Opera argument it's old it's tired and it is not a good position or argument that holds water. Relationships personal relationships have been a part of storytelling since they started writing myths thousands of years ago not all myths had relationships in them but a good portion did it is and will always be part of storytelling.
    Last edited by poundpuppy29; November 22nd, 2015 at 02:37 PM. Reason: forgot a word

    My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
    poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

  9. #29
    Major Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,395

    Default Re: Another battlestar galactica reboot?

    It's a matter of taste. Unless it is relevant to the core story being told, I really don't care about the romantic lives of the characters.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  10. #30
    Harvey jelgate's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Beach of naked Sebeceans and margarita shooter
    Posts
    35,023

    Default Re: Another battlestar galactica reboot?

    And that right there is the issue. In my experience soap opera is term disgruntled fans use to describe shows they don't like. Its rarely true
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

  11. #31
    Major General LtColCarter's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Mesquite, TX
    Posts
    14,166

    Default Re: Another battlestar galactica reboot?

    Quote Originally Posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
    I really hate the Soap Opera argument it's old it's tired and it is not a good position or argument that holds water. Relationships personal relationships have been a part of storytelling since they started writing myths thousands of years ago not all myths had relationships in them but a good portion did it is and will always part of storytelling.
    You're entitled to your opinion. However, I'm also entitled to my opinion whether you agree or disagree with it.

  12. #32
    Harvey jelgate's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Beach of naked Sebeceans and margarita shooter
    Posts
    35,023

    Default Re: Another battlestar galactica reboot?

    Quote Originally Posted by LtColCarter View Post
    You're entitled to your opinion. However, I'm also entitled to my opinion whether you agree or disagree with it.
    Not when your opinion is based on faulty premise and lacking in facts
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

  13. #33
    Lieutenant General poundpuppy29's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    17,781

    Default Re: Another battlestar galactica reboot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    It's a matter of taste. Unless it is relevant to the core story being told, I really don't care about the romantic lives of the characters.
    true but just don't say if I wanted to watch a soap opera that is not the only time emo or relationships have been used when told well it isn't an issue

    Quote Originally Posted by LtColCarter View Post
    You're entitled to your opinion. However, I'm also entitled to my opinion whether you agree or disagree with it.
    not arguing that true

    My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
    poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

  14. #34
    Major General
    Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,249

    Default Re: Another battlestar galactica reboot?

    So anyone seen/heard anything new on this?

  15. #35
    Major Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,395

    Default Re: Another battlestar galactica reboot?

    I haven't seen a peep about it. With Glen Larson's passing in late 2014, I suspect the rights and so on for this will be going thru legal hell for a while.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  16. #36
    Chief Master Sergeant KennClique's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2016
    Location
    The Outer Rim
    Posts
    169

    Default Re: Another battlestar galactica reboot?

    I heard a few months ago it was still a go but haven't heard anything since then.

  17. #37
    Probie
    Member Since
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Another battlestar galactica reboot?

    omigosh. I just finished binge watching RDM's BG miniseries, series , razor, and skipped through Blood&Chrome. I had not watched a single episode when it came out being an original BSG fan and I then heeded EJO's warning plus I hadn't had cable since 2000.

    Well I saw the miniseries, and I got decently hooked for the first few episodes while the same problems turned me off. So overall it boiled down to mostly just waiting through the soap parts for the battles and chases. The railguns were extremely boring. Why do the colonials only have carbine size auto weapons? I was bored with all the characters except Olmos, the "Baltar" guy because he was comic, and maybe the "Tigh" character. A hoot to see female "starbuck" constantly imitating Dirk Benedict's facial expressions as Starbuck when she wasn't busy frakking and cheating. Anyone could tell she was chosen for her similar expressions her face could produce to the original guy.

    So basically I felt reaffirmed that RDM ripped off the premise and title of the original and improved some of the action sequences then had no other ideas so turned the show into something it wasn't and it could have been a completely differently named show. Ok, I enjoyed the softporn of hottie Tricia Helfer and it was probably a "pioneer" into turning genre shows into softporn culiminating in what is shown on cable on GoT from what I hear as I haven't seen a single episode of GoT yet.

    I remember being annoyed at a friend who admitted he occasionally watched ST:TNG for Troi's bosom, and now years later I'm somewhat embarrassed to say while being so bored of the soap and waiting for something sci-fi to happen in rdmBSG the Helfer scenes kept me going. Laughable to see them try to fit in the original cylons with cheap cgi in the last episodes.

    So in conclusion, I'm looking forward to the movie going back to the roots, taking off after season 1 ended and forgetting Galatica1980 ever existed.

  18. #38
    Major Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,395

    Default Re: Another battlestar galactica reboot?

    I disagree with your assessment of RDM's version, but hey, it's no one's place besides yours to decide what you like and what you don't like.

    But what about where to pick up a new TOS based series?

    Yes, most of Galactica 1980 sucked, because after the first 3 hours, ABC, in another effort to deliberately kill the show, moved it to what was called "family viewing hour" at that time, so the content was child-centric.
    But the idea behind the first 3 hours of G1980 was actually decent; a rogue scientist goes back into Earth's past in an attempt to advance Earth's weapons development to they could mount a defense against the Cylons, and Galactica tries to chase him through time, going back to WWII Germany to prevent him from aiding the Germans with their V2 rockets.

    One approach for a reboot I would like is to start at the end of "The Hand of God", and then go forward to cover the 1st 3 hours of G1980, and then move forward from there, chasing Xavier through history as the main story of the series.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  19. #39
    Probie
    Member Since
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Another battlestar galactica reboot?

    I know I was harsh with my first post here, but glad to agree to disagree!
    As a kid when I first watched Galactica 1980, it was ok, but far from the epic 1st season. Now catching some of episodes on yt, the episodes are hilarious with some of the old nostalgic fun of the time. I wouldn't mind a new movie series finding earth, but the G80 of time traveling vipers just doesn't fit the bsg story and world to me and seems more like a different sci-fi show on a low budget like "time trax". Agreed with something continuing on from the "Hand of God". Other than that I don't have ideas and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Similar Threads

  1. Battlestar reboot/movie
    By rockerlad in forum Battlestar Galactica
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: May 16th, 2017, 01:52 AM
  2. was SGU trying to be battlestar galactica?
    By slimjim in forum SGU General Discussion
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: April 16th, 2012, 09:31 PM
  3. BattleStar Prometheus (A BattleStar Galactica RP)
    By killerhuman in forum Battlestar Galactica
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 3rd, 2009, 02:53 AM
  4. The Last Battlestar, The Galactica
    By Sci-Fi in forum Battlestar Galactica
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 22nd, 2005, 10:28 PM
  5. Battlestar Galactica
    By galacticgurl in forum Battlestar Galactica
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: March 14th, 2005, 05:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •