Thor's Character - age and experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thor's Character - age and experience

Does it seem to anyone else they don't play this out even the slightest bit? He's a 1000+ year old alien. He has knowledge of technologies centuries ahead of Earth. He has experience with many other races out there. However, it seems none of this is ever referenced when he's with the other avengers.
    sigpic

Thor has never been portrayed as a "thinking man" in the films (except for his brief conversation about the nine worlds), and sorta even less so in the comics. His "hosts" in the MCU however have been some clever people (Dr Blake, Eric Masterton for example).
    He -does- mention his knowledge of other races, but it tends to be in passing more than anything else, or providing the name of the race to the Avengers (the Chitauri, for example), and other objects (the Infinity stones), but he never elaborates all that much on them.
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

As someone who hasn't read the comic books in the movies it does seem like he is around the same age as the other characters, which I'm okay with. Mainly because they need to be able to relate to each other to form good scenes.
      sigpic

Comment

Well...........
        In the first Thor Movie, we see the humans that are fighting the frost giants have fairly large Longships, a type that would have been around in the early 11th century, so that gives a rough start date for the conflict between the giants and the Asgardians. The war go's on for a bit (say 100-200 years) before Odin is victorious, which is the time he adopts Loki as a baby to be Thor's little brother. From that, we can guess that Thor is around 800-900 years old, with a lifespan of roughly 5000 years (according to Loki in the Avengers)
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
          As someone who hasn't read the comic books in the movies it does seem like he is around the same age as the other characters, which I'm okay with. Mainly because they need to be able to relate to each other to form good scenes.
          That's my point though. He acts like he's around their age with roughly their experience, but he's many centuries older and has knowledge of many more things that is never put to use or even brought up. Even Sif hints at more of this than Thor ever does when she was on AoS.
          sigpic

Comment

Give an old man of 80 the youth and vitality of a 20 year old, would you really expect him to behave any differently than a 20 year old himself? He might be a little wiser and worldly but otherwise....

Personally I think Thor keeps a lot to himself for the simple reasoning that he knows humans wouldn't understand. It's one of the reasons why he's so open with Jane, because she's one of the few who can understand, but even then I think he sees her as very young.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Working...
            X