Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Zero Hour (404)

  1. #1
    Site Admin GateWorld's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,904

    Post Zero Hour (404)

    Visit the Episode GuideCONTINUUM - SEASON FOUR
    ZERO HOUR
    EPISODE NUMBER - 404
    Kiera and Brad's trust issues reach a breaking point, as Alec discovers the true nature of the future soldiers' mission. After Alec pressures Jason to help him find his future wife, a stranger from the future forces him to reconsider the true nature of destiny.

    VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; December 5th, 2015 at 11:48 PM.

  2. #2
    Captain
    Member Since
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,440

    Default Re: Zero Hour (404)

    urgh, hate being right, wish they'd come up with something better than Terra Nova 2.

  3. #3
    Major Raw_Deal's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    2,151

    Default Re: Zero Hour (404)

    Maybe I'm a little slow, but I don't get how does this time wormhole will help Kiera. If she goes through it, won't she end up in Tonkin's future? The one where Kellog is a war lord? Or in any other future that might be created by Alec's new decisions regarding his life?

    Even assuming there are multiple timelines (like Chen said), how will she make sure she arrives at the "right" one - one where none of the things she knew in 2077 had actually changed?

    It bugs me that nobody addresses that on the show...

    Suffer the dream of a world gone mad, I like it like that and I know it.
    - R.E.M.

  4. #4
    Brigadier General fems's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    9,285

    Default Re: Zero Hour (404)

    Quote Originally Posted by Raw_Deal View Post
    Maybe I'm a little slow, but I don't get how does this time wormhole will help Kiera. If she goes through it, won't she end up in Tonkin's future? The one where Kellog is a war lord? Or in any other future that might be created by Alec's new decisions regarding his life?

    Even assuming there are multiple timelines (like Chen said), how will she make sure she arrives at the "right" one - one where none of the things she knew in 2077 had actually changed?

    It bugs me that nobody addresses that on the show...
    I think that's why Alec said "with some adjustments" about the time travel thingy.
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3


    My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories. /

  5. #5
    Major Raw_Deal's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    2,151

    Default Re: Zero Hour (404)

    Quote Originally Posted by fems View Post
    I think that's why Alec said "with some adjustments" about the time travel thingy.
    I missed that. But still, it would have to be quite an adjustment.

    Suffer the dream of a world gone mad, I like it like that and I know it.
    - R.E.M.

  6. #6
    Major Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,395

    Default Re: Zero Hour (404)

    I'm starting to think the writers phoned this season in, after knowing it would be their last.
    Or maybe it's my own perspective, knowing it's the last 6 eps, but this show used to be focused and tight, a clear story.. It's getting to be just a muddle.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  7. #7
    Captain
    Member Since
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,440

    Default Re: Zero Hour (404)

    Quote Originally Posted by Raw_Deal View Post
    I missed that. But still, it would have to be quite an adjustment.
    The series has been working on the Doctor Who principle of time travel storytelling, i.e. there are multiple timelines all running parallel to each other and a person can travel between each one independently of their own.

    Remember in the first series they killed off Kellogg's grandmother and nothing happened to him, we all surmised that she wasn't his biological grandmother, or he was adopted to try and explain it, then I think I read an interview with the writers who said each timeline was independent, and at the end of series two I think we saw the original timeline they all travelled to collapse because of what Alex did.

    I haven't seen episode 5 yet but I suspect the ball type device created by older Alec will be the key for want of a better word to sending her home to the correct timeline, the screwdriver type device they want back is the equivalent technology from this timeline created by Kellog after he ousted alec from Pyron, and I suspect when she get's home, nothing will have changed because what we've been seeing over the whole series has been taking place in a parallel timeline (Ryan Robbin's characters one) and not her own one.

    If that makes any sense.

  8. #8
    First Lieutenant Perelandra's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pegasus Galaxy
    Posts
    631

    Default Re: Zero Hour (404)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian-S View Post
    The series has been working on the Doctor Who principle of time travel storytelling, i.e. there are multiple timelines all running parallel to each other and a person can travel between each one independently of their own.

    Remember in the first series they killed off Kellogg's grandmother and nothing happened to him, we all surmised that she wasn't his biological grandmother, or he was adopted to try and explain it, then I think I read an interview with the writers who said each timeline was independent, and at the end of series two I think we saw the original timeline they all travelled to collapse because of what Alex did.

    I haven't seen episode 5 yet but I suspect the ball type device created by older Alec will be the key for want of a better word to sending her home to the correct timeline, the screwdriver type device they want back is the equivalent technology from this timeline created by Kellog after he ousted alec from Pyron, and I suspect when she get's home, nothing will have changed because what we've been seeing over the whole series has been taking place in a parallel timeline (Ryan Robbin's characters one) and not her own one.

    If that makes any sense.
    Actually I understand what you're saying-I've seen it explained with the idea that of the "Grandfather Paradox" that if it was possible for someone to go back in time and kill their own grandfather-they'd essentially be creating an alternate future where they never existed but the future/timeline they came from would continue to exist, along with the person in question. Is that basically what you're saying?

  9. #9
    Major Raw_Deal's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    2,151

    Default Re: Zero Hour (404)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian-S View Post
    The series has been working on the Doctor Who principle of time travel storytelling, i.e. there are multiple timelines all running parallel to each other and a person can travel between each one independently of their own.

    Remember in the first series they killed off Kellogg's grandmother and nothing happened to him, we all surmised that she wasn't his biological grandmother, or he was adopted to try and explain it, then I think I read an interview with the writers who said each timeline was independent, and at the end of series two I think we saw the original timeline they all travelled to collapse because of what Alex did.

    I haven't seen episode 5 yet but I suspect the ball type device created by older Alec will be the key for want of a better word to sending her home to the correct timeline, the screwdriver type device they want back is the equivalent technology from this timeline created by Kellog after he ousted alec from Pyron, and I suspect when she get's home, nothing will have changed because what we've been seeing over the whole series has been taking place in a parallel timeline (Ryan Robbin's characters one) and not her own one.

    If that makes any sense.
    It does make sense, and I agree with you about the theory of parallel timelines. I just feel that this issue wasn't properly addressed.

    Kiera just talks about going forward in time and getting back home, practically ignoring the fact that the future of the timeline she's in, is different than the one she came from, because of the different choices Alec and other people made.

    If i'm not mistaken, so far there was no discussion (certainly not on Keira's part) about the need to not only go forward in time, but to also "skip" to a parallel timeline, one in which the past hasn't changed (i.e. where Alec became the head of a huge corporation, Julian led a resistance movement, and so on).

    That's what's been bugging me.

    Suffer the dream of a world gone mad, I like it like that and I know it.
    - R.E.M.

  10. #10
    Captain
    Member Since
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,440

    Default Re: Zero Hour (404)

    Yes to both of you, I find it annoying they don't ever address these issues too, not just this series but I've seen it many times elsewhere, it's like the writers either forget, or can't be bothered and whenever you pull them up on it (like I did once to a writer) their excuse is 'do you need everything explaining?' - well err, when your story defies Einstien's theory of relativity I'd like you to explain why, so yes explain away....


  11. #11
    Probie
    Member Since
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: Zero Hour (404)

    Everyone here makes good points. I think a big problem is the lack of a full season of episodes to close out the series with any amount of closure. There are a lot of plot angles they have running that need to be addressed in a mere 6 episode "season". I read somewhere that the creator had enough material for a 7 season run. Obviously that isn't going to happen. I am trying to have a little faith that if they had more episodes to close out the series and would quit introducing new plot angles, like the supersoldiers from Brad's future the series would be a lot better. I like the supersoldier angle but I think it was a little late to bring them in.

  12. #12
    Major Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,395

    Default Re: Zero Hour (404)

    Quote Originally Posted by Gate_Fan View Post
    Everyone here makes good points. I think a big problem is the lack of a full season of episodes to close out the series with any amount of closure. There are a lot of plot angles they have running that need to be addressed in a mere 6 episode "season". I read somewhere that the creator had enough material for a 7 season run. Obviously that isn't going to happen. I am trying to have a little faith that if they had more episodes to close out the series and would quit introducing new plot angles, like the supersoldiers from Brad's future the series would be a lot better. I like the supersoldier angle but I think it was a little late to bring them in.
    They probably didn't know they wouldn't get another season when they wrote that.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  13. #13
    Major General LtColCarter's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Mesquite, TX
    Posts
    14,166

    Default Re: Zero Hour (404)

    Quote Originally Posted by Raw_Deal View Post
    Maybe I'm a little slow, but I don't get how does this time wormhole will help Kiera. If she goes through it, won't she end up in Tonkin's future? The one where Kellog is a war lord? Or in any other future that might be created by Alec's new decisions regarding his life?

    Even assuming there are multiple timelines (like Chen said), how will she make sure she arrives at the "right" one - one where none of the things she knew in 2077 had actually changed?

    It bugs me that nobody addresses that on the show...
    Yeah....Dr. E. Brown made it quite clear. This show is leaving it murky.

  14. #14
    Major Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,395

    Default Re: Zero Hour (404)

    I've always thought this show operated on the multiple timelines "branching" idea; where a decision or action creates a new branch off the original timeline at that point, with the original branch continuing on as it was, and the new branch seeing the consequences of the decision or action.

    Never really thought about it, to me, the series has always presented that model.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  15. #15
    Staff Sergeant yukin1990's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    93

    Default Re: Zero Hour (404)

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    I'm starting to think the writers phoned this season in, after knowing it would be their last.
    Or maybe it's my own perspective, knowing it's the last 6 eps, but this show used to be focused and tight, a clear story.. It's getting to be just a muddle.
    I think i kind of heard the show director said because it only have six episodes.
    Some of the content may have fast tracked!!!And i got that feeling too when watch it!!
    Such a shame for this show!!! Why do they cancelled so early???
    Am i sensing Brad may be going to help his Kellogg's soldier??
    And Kellogg are going to help Kiera back to the future with her son, because Warlord Kellogg want cut CEO Kellogg Kidneys out for himself!!!

    Now i have question: What will happen to Kiera when she back with her son?? Is she going to help L8 or found a new faction to help change within the system ?????

  16. #16
    Lieutenant Colonel Matt G's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Exeter, UK
    Posts
    3,158

    Default Re: Zero Hour (404)

    1. Brad's loyalty is suddenly up for grabs.

    2. OK...who is Jason's mother actually meant to be...he was hinting it was Kiera in the last up...but that's plain impossible in any timeline...so why even bring it up...?

    3. Can Kellogg and future-Kellogg really be that different...?

    Some cool things in the mixer but they're a mess at the moment.

Tags for this Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Zero Hour (804)
    By GateWorld in forum Season Eight
    Replies: 201
    Last Post: August 19th, 2019, 02:15 PM
  2. Grey Hour (104)
    By GateWorld in forum Season One Episodes
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: April 5th, 2009, 02:48 PM
  3. Stargate Zero Hour
    By Rodney_Mckay in forum Fan Fiction
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: March 5th, 2009, 01:43 PM
  4. Thirteenth Hour
    By Madwelshboy in forum General Sci-Fi and Fantasy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 4th, 2009, 12:36 AM
  5. Zero Hour - SPOILERS
    By GateGipsy in forum SG-1 General Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: May 11th, 2004, 11:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •