No announcement yet.

2016 Creation Entertainment Stargate Convention - Chicago September 23-25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am terrible at conversing with actors as well. Most of the time Ii just say "thank you for all you have done." and run away. XD
    I just never know what to say, or if I plan what to say it never comes out right and Ii get embarrassed and run away.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by allnycole View Post
      I never feel comfortable talking to any of them
      Talking to them isn't too bad, though I'm not much of a talker so I usually don't have a whole lot to say. The first time I really had an "extended conversation" with any of them was when I did a photo op with David Hewlett at the Vancouver Stargate con in 2011. I was wearing my Canucks hoodie and he started talking about hockey and the only thing which really made it uncomfortable is it was right after the photo and we know how Creation likes to remind people on their site that you are not paying for a "conversation" with the guests and to keep the line moving.

Meet and greets are fun for being able to talk to the guests. At the 2014 Chicago Stargate con, Garry Chalk was part of the meet and greet and I mentioned how I was a fan of a series he was on (Shadow Raiders) which doesn't get the kind of love some of the others do. I asked if he still remembered Emperor Femur's "rhyme" and after I recited it back for him, he performed it in Femur's voice and then went on to talk about how he actually got the role.

It can seem intimidating talking to actors, but they're just people and many of them like hanging out with the fans, especially guys like Alex and Dan. I wish Creation would add them to the Once Upon a Time cons.

Comment

I never knew if you should talk about their character or personal life, or what. I feel like I would babel too much. Are they one-on-one? If they are i'd probably be too shy to say much.

I had not noticed that they did not have meet and greets with the Once Upon a Time Convention. I wonder why they do not? Maybe the series are too new or they can't get the actors to do it. I plan on going next year if able.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Carson Beckett View Post
          It can seem intimidating talking to actors, but they're just people and many of them like hanging out with the fans, especially guys like Alex and Dan. I wish Creation would add them to the Once Upon a Time cons.
          The only problem with that is I'm awkward with people in general so add the fact that they are an actor and my anxiety level rises. I also know a lot of people ask they too personal of questions or stupid stuff and I guess I'm always worried that somehow asking them anything on top of all of that is too much. In addition, I've not really gotten autographs and things because these conventions can add up quick and going up to someone and not buying something just seems rude.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalyov View Post
            Thank you!

Hmm I wonder why they do not have it on their calendar? But that is exciting, maybe I will get to go! Vegas would have been a bit of a long stretch.

Since the moved the one you went to, are you still going to attend the new location con?

Looks like the Star Trek Con has the same layout as the Stargate one, I wonder why the Supernatural and Once Upon a Time Cons have concerts and Stargate and Star Trek do not?
            The Stargate cons had a Cabaret on Friday in addition to the Karaoke. I think the reason why it wasn't done on Saturday was because that's when the dessert party was.

Depending on finances and whether or not there's another Star Trek con closer to home, I will go to Parsippany.

As to why it's not on the calendar...no clue. I know that the Whippany, NJ OUAT con wasn't on the website until shortly before tickets went on sale despite the fact that they'd done seat upgrades at the end of it. I'm sure it depends on how they're updating the site and what's most important to have updated.
            Julia
            --------------------
            http://www.seshatplace.com/

Comment

Originally posted by allnycole View Post
              The only problem with that is I'm awkward with people in general
              Yeah, that\s certainly understandable. It can also depend on the guest in question as some may not be as personable as others, which makes it a bit awkward.

I also know a lot of people ask they too personal of questions or stupid stuff and I guess I'm always worried that somehow asking them anything on top of all of that is too much.
              I wouldn't worry too much about that, particularly if you were to go up their tables. I'm always promoting Alex and Dan as the easiest to interact with but, in my experience, they are just awesome and take the time to interact and Alex in particular likes to hear about the people who come up to his table. I don't usually like talking about myself (I find myself very boring, to be honest) so it's usually a struggle to come up with anything good to say. Sometimes, you can talk about an actor's character involving events which they weren't a part of, such as novels. Before I went to the 2104 Chicago con, I had red the Romulan War novels in the Star Trek: Enterprise line and there was a brief moment where Trip was going under an alias. He was addressed as "Mr. Kenmore" and his response was "Call me Michael." So, at the con when I went to Connor Trinneer's table, I told him about it and he hadn't heard that Trip had called himself "Michael Kenmore" in the book.

I'm certainly not the type who, if I saw an actor while out in public, would make a point to call out or approach them, as I don't want to violate their privacy. In a con setting, however, they're there to meet their fans so I'm more open to interactions I may normally shy away from.

In addition, I've not really gotten autographs and things because these conventions can add up quick and going up to someone and not buying something just seems rude.
              Yeah, it can get quite expensive, though when the actors have their own tables, it's typically less expensive than it would be going for the ones you have to buy autograph tickets for, and it doesn't hurt that actors at a table include a photo as part of the price. At the 2014 con, I got a number of photo ops with Dan and Alex signed and I ended up getting quite a few signed photos from Alex as he was typically doing 2 for 1 deals. But, since that particular con had been advertised as the "last" convention, I decided to splurge and get as many photo ops and autographs as I could.

Originally posted by Kalyov View Post
              I just never know what to say, or if I plan what to say it never comes out right and Ii get embarrassed and run away.
              I know the feeling. At my first convention, Max Grodenchik was selling CDs and he asked if I wanted him to sign it and added that he wasn't going to charge for the autograph. Now, having my unusual sense of humour, I said something along the lines of "We'll probably hear 'Brunt, FCA!'" but... it fell completely flat and he didn't get the joke. On the off chance that it needs explaining, Max Grodenchik played the Ferengi character Rom on Deep Space Nine while Jeffrey Combs (who was also at the convention) played Brunt. If Brunt was in the vicinity should a Ferengi violate the Rules of Acquisition (essentially failing to profit off of anything) he would make his presence known with "Brunt, FCA!" and make life miserable for the offending Ferengi. So, since he was offering to sign something for free, I thought it was an apt joke.
              Last edited by Dr. Carson Beckett; 13 October 2016, 06:08 PM.

Comment

I know our conversation died in here a long time ago but I remembered mentioning the Chicago Star Trek Con. Well someone today tried to apply to volunteer for it and they got an email saying that there will be no Chicago Star Trek Con in 2017 (even though people already purchased tickets), just the Las Vegas one.
                So yeah I repeat myself in saying that it sounds like they are only trying to do Supernatural and Once Upon a Time Cons now with little to nothing else.
                sigpic

Comment

And many SPN fans are up in arms at the new (pretty steep) price hikes AND the banning of Periscoping at Cons....they will have to be careful they don't alienate too many people

Deeds xx
                  sigpic
                  Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                  MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Well now they just announced a Star Trek Convention in Chicago so well thats odd, but good news! They need to figure out what is going on. Yeah a lot of people are upset about the Supernatural Cons, I know I am. I always wanted to go but didnt have the money...now I really don't have the money!
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X