Best Con Memories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Con Memories?

At Stargate conventions, Andee Frizzell (the Wraith Queen) has a tradition: before anyone is allowed to ask her a question, they're supposed to tell her a story of a con memory or adventure that they particularly treasure. I thought it would be cool to start a thread like that here, and have us all share our most amazing con memories - preferably from Stargate cons, but any will do.

I have a couple of stories; at the moment I'm debating between two:

-that one time Michael Shanks made me cry
    -that time Jason Momoa stole David Hewlett's meat
    (preferences?)

Go ahead and share your stories!
    Help me save the Stargate convention! Creation announced that the 2016 Con will be the last one, but I'm trying to keep them going. Read more about the campaign HERE and join me to make it happen by liking THIS page and spreading the word!

"My mind rebels at stagnation." - Sherlock Holmes

My Blog: Monitoring Broadcast Signals

Meeting Don S Davis in 2007 ....and finding out what the most marvellous kind & honourable gentleman he was....

And then having the sad, but tremendous honour of being at Gatecon 2008 and witnessing the tribute to him led by his widow Ruby....there was not one dry eye in the house....

What. A. Man
    sigpic
    Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
    MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

I've always been incredibly sad that I'll never get the chance to meet Don. I hear such amazing things about him every time. Gary Jones in particular loves to reminisce about Don, often goodheartedly making fun of his accent ("open the arse!" is not quite the same as "open the iris!") and it's a very common question at Stargate cons for other actors what it was like working with Don. They all say it was amazing. I do wish I had been in the fandom back when he was still alive, but alas, I only discovered Stargate in 2012.
      Help me save the Stargate convention! Creation announced that the 2016 Con will be the last one, but I'm trying to keep them going. Read more about the campaign HERE and join me to make it happen by liking THIS page and spreading the word!

Comment

I've not been to too many conventions, but one was Pegasus 3 and it was about the time we found out Elizabeth Weir had been written out, so we hastily arranged a "red shirt" photoshoot where about 30 of us wore red and got permission for a special group picture with Torri to say thank you

So thank you to Wolf Events for letting us organise that I miss Wolf Events

A non-Stargate convention memory that will always stay with me was standing and talking to the late Michael Sheard for quite some time in the dealers room at a convention. I would only have been around 13 or 14 at the time but we stood and talked to him about all sorts of things for a good 15 or 20 minutes. He was such a lovely man.
        sigpic
        Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Last year I'd put together a book with layouts that I'd done for autographs. It got a lot of comments from the guests. The two best came from Cliff Simon and Michael Shanks. Cliff recommended that next time I should print extra copies and sell them...I'd make a killing. When Michael saw it and I told him it was all my work, he asked if I did it professionally. When I said no, he was first surprised and then started offering me career advice and whether I should give up my current job and get one as a graphic designed. He concluded that that market was over-saturated and I probably shouldn't make a career move right now. *LOL*
          Last edited by beacon; 29 August 2015, 04:00 PM.
          Julia
          --------------------
          http://www.seshatplace.com/

Comment

Originally posted by beacon View Post
            Last year I'd put together a book with layouts that I'd done for autographs. It got a lot of comments from the guests. The two best came from Cliff Simon and Michael Shanks. Cliff recommended that next time I should print extra copies and sell them...I'd make a killing. When Michael saw it and I told him it was all my work, he asked if I did it professionally. When I said no, he was first surprised and then started offering me career advice and whether I should give up my current job and get one as a graphic designed. He concluded that that market was over-saturated and I probably shouldn't make a career move right now. *LOL*
            career advice from Michael Shanks - that's one I haven't heard before. Nice! I think I saw your book, at least in passing, if I remember correctly.

Comment

Getting the "come here...." hug from RDA at the 2008 Gatecon in Vancouver! I walked out of that photo op in a daze after that!

The tribute to Don S.Davis at that con was indeed a wonderful memorable moment. To this day I'm still really sad I missed meeting him at the 2007 10th anniversary con to get his autograph due to having to go home early due to ending up with the worst migraine I had in years. I had to leave to drive home before I couldn't see any more, all due to the excitement of attending my first convention ever no doubt! At least I got to see Don on stage, he was a joy to watch, a sad loss indeed.

And I couldn't forget Cliff Simon taking his shirt off on stage, he and Carmen Argenziano did and Teryl Rothery collected the money, all for charity of course! The moment raised a lot of money for Make a Wish Foundation at the same 2007 Creation con.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T04fx9CVn4

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                Getting the "come here...." hug from RDA at the 2008 Gatecon in Vancouver! I walked out of that photo op in a daze after that!

The tribute to Don S.Davis at that con was indeed a wonderful memorable moment. To this day I'm still really sad I missed meeting him at the 2007 10th anniversary con to get his autograph due to having to go home early due to ending up with the worst migraine I had in years. I had to leave to drive home before I couldn't see any more, all due to the excitement of attending my first convention ever no doubt! At least I got to see Don on stage, he was a joy to watch, a sad loss indeed.

And I couldn't forget Cliff Simon taking his shirt off on stage, he and Carmen Argenziano did and Teryl Rothery collected the money, all for charity of course! The moment raised a lot of money for Make a Wish Foundation at the same 2007 Creation con.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T04fx9CVn4
                it seems that it's quite a tradition of the stargate cast to take their clothes off for charity. Dan and Alex did it at the last con (Chicago 2015) and everyone wanted David Blue to join in, but he refused (despite now being sexy and buff).

I'm so sorry you didn't get to personally meet Don. He's one of those heroes who died before I even knew he existed, but I'm always happy that he's kept alive by such fond memories.

Comment

Originally posted by ComtessedeBussy View Post
                  I have a couple of stories; at the moment I'm debating between two:

-that one time Michael Shanks made me cry
                  -that time Jason Momoa stole David Hewlett's meat
                  (preferences?)
                  I'd like to hear the first one.

Comment

Originally posted by Fan-e-Gate View Post
                    I'd like to hear the first one.
                    haha, I say that one to get people's attention. In reality, I was laughing so hard I was crying. It was my first Stargate con, and the first time I'd seen Michael Shanks, and for those who don't know, he is so, so funny, so basically by the 10th joke, in which he totally avoided answering the question while making quips about ascension or other jokes, I was laughing so hard I couldn't breathe and tears were rolling down my eyes. I can't even remember which joke it was at this point, but he kept going on and on..."I speak two languages, English and profanity," and stuff like that. Man, I wish I'd written more of them down.

Comment

Working...
                    X