How long for Atlantis to fly to Earth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long for Atlantis to fly to Earth?

Okay got another question. Sorry to be asking so many, but I'm writing a fanfic and need answers.

In "Enemy at the Gate" the only reason Atlantis made it to Earth as fast as it did was because Zelenka suggested they try McKay's Wormhole Drive. If the Stargate hadn't broken down part way, how long do you think it might have taken them to get to Earth? I do recall them saying that they broke down "on the edge of the Milky Way".

The ZPM-powered Wraith ship got there fast, but compared to Atlantis,its mass is miniscule. And its hard to say how long it took for the Wraith ship to get there too. I don't recall there being any clues as to how much time was passing between scenes.

Beth

Earth ships to reach to the Pegasus Galaxy took about a month. I do not remember how much time need on this ship powered by ZPM... but I suppose that Atlantis (sparingly used ZMP) would normally flight this road in about two weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by utan77 View Post
      Earth ships to reach to the Pegasus Galaxy took about a month. I do not remember how much time need on this ship powered by ZPM... but I suppose that Atlantis (sparingly used ZMP) would normally flight this road in about two weeks.
      I did some research not too long ago for a fanfic on how long it took the Daedalus to fly between Earth and Atlantis. I just looked it up and I have 18 days written down. Although I don't have the reference of which episode it was, I believe that number was mentioned on a show.
      Ah, ha! Just looked the Daedalus up in the Stargate Wiki and it confirms my answer of 18 days.

In "The Seed," when Woolsey took the Daedalus to Atlantis, he commented on being out of touch for three weeks. And I believe there may have been other references to three weeks. I think they were just rounding up from the 18 days.

But this ship isn't powered by a ZPM.

So, we have one vote for two weeks to fly between Atlantis and Earth.

Any other takers?

Beth

Comment

Originally posted by BethDoodle View Post
        Ah, ha! Just looked the Daedalus up in the Stargate Wiki and it confirms my answer of 18 days.

In "The Seed," when Woolsey took the Daedalus to Atlantis, he commented on being out of touch for three weeks. And I believe there may have been other references to three weeks. I think they were just rounding up from the 18 days.
        I believe it was 18 days of straight flight. Three weeks may be including things like resupplies or stopping along the way (like, at midway), or just rounding up (If he's out of touch with atlantis for three weeks it may include time spent on earth too)

The ZPM-powered Wraith ship got there fast, but compared to Atlantis,its mass is miniscule. And its hard to say how long it took for the Wraith ship to get there too. I don't recall there being any clues as to how much time was passing between scenes.
        Wait....what? The Superhive was 2-3 times bigger than Atlantis.

I do think Atlantis is much faster than the Daedalus. 3-4 days like in The Siege with ZPM Power seems much more likely to me.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
          Wait....what? The Superhive was 2-3 times bigger than Atlantis.
          I just reviewed the footage, and while the super-hive ship may have been about the same size as Atlantis, I don't think it was 2-3 times bigger.

I do think Atlantis is much faster than the Daedalus. 3-4 days like in The Siege with ZPM Power seems much more likely to me.
          Okay, I'll have to review that episode.

Beth

Comment

I just remembered that I have a graphic showing the comparative sizes of the various ships, including Atlantis.

But, of course, the super-hive must might have been bigger than a regular hive ship.

EDIT: Hold on! What's Aeon Atlantis?

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/...comp_large.png
            Last edited by Bagpuss; 13 January 2016, 12:34 AM. Reason: Oversized.

Beth

Comment

Maybe this one is better.

I had no idea that Wraith hive ships were that big!

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/...small_comp.png
              Last edited by Bagpuss; 13 January 2016, 12:34 AM. Reason: oversized.

Beth

Comment

Wow, that Aeon Atlantis is HUGE! Perhaps that was supposed to be what Atlantis looked like.

IIRC the original design of Atlantis was roughly that size, but was cut down to what we saw for budget reasons. Shame, really, though understandable.

Hang on, isn't the Aurora-class ships supposed to be ~3,000m in length, or am I jut being needlessly pedantic?

Comment

I don't know how big Manhattan Island is, but Atlantis was compared to that in at least one episode. And it was said somewhere along the way that it could comfortably house several hundred thousand people, if not even one million. That has to be pretty darned big.

And without anything to back it up, I'm pretty sure the wormhole drive got Atlantis to earth in about a day. It had to in order to get them into the fight before the wraith ship started taking pot shots at earth.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                    I don't know how big Manhattan Island is, but Atlantis was compared to that in at least one episode. And it was said somewhere along the way that it could comfortably house several hundred thousand people, if not even one million. That has to be pretty darned big.
                    I posted this in another thread earlier today, but since the subject has come up here, here's the post.

I just found the answer to my question about what the population of Atlantis might be fully populated.

I recalled someone saying in an episode (don't recall which one) that searching Atlantis room-by-room would be the equivalent to searching Manhattan. I then checked on the Stargate Wiki and they have several mentions that Atlantis "has approximately the same internal space as found in Manhattan".

According to Wikipedia, Manhattan has "a Census-estimated 2014 population of 1,636,268".

Wow! Atlantis is bigger than I thought!

Beth

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                      And without anything to back it up, I'm pretty sure the wormhole drive got Atlantis to earth in about a day. It had to in order to get them into the fight before the wraith ship started taking pot shots at earth.
                      Faster. Here's a quote from the show:
                      Originally posted by Zelenka
                      Wormhole drive. It-it's nearly instantaneous travel across enormous distances. It's not unlike gate travel itself. If it works, it could have us at Earth in a matter of seconds.
                      But I'm asking just about the normal Atlantis hyperdrive engine.

Beth

Comment

This thread puts Atlantis at 3300 meters
                        It might take some reading to get all the details of the calculations.

Maybe this one is better.

I had no idea that Wraith hive ships were that big!
                        Other than technical background information (One of the ship designers confirmed a Hiveship is 11km) and maybe 1 or 2 episodes, most Hiveships are extremely off-scale. Most are scaled at 5 kilometers while a few are scaled to about 1 kilometer. Especially Be All My Sins Remember'd was absolutely horrible in it's relative scaling. But i can sort-of understand why, as the Hives would absolutely dwarf the Aurora's, while the Daedalus and Apollo would be specs in this battle of giants.

AEON ATLANTIS

With the power of Google i managed to trace AEON Atlantis to a Fanfic thread that scaled atlantis to Manhattan

I'm sorry but Atlantis simply doesn't strike me, not even remotely, as having enough facilities to handle such a population. Furthermore, it was compared in terms of searching difficulty, which makes sense as we later learn that even things like power conduits have their own halls and so, the technical areas of Atlantis would contribute significantly to search difficulty while not contributing to living space.

In fact, Atlantis seems to be fairly low on proper living space, and seems to be mostly filled with stuff for all sorts of labs and experiments. It seems to me like Atlantis was designed to be a semi-permanent forward base.

super-hive ship may have been about the same size as Atlantis, I don't think it was 2-3 times bigger.
                        The battle scene contains one clear shot from above, which shows that Atlantis is about a tenth the size of the Superhive: (click to enlarge)
                        normal_PDVD_1116.JPG

Additionally, Atlantis seems to have travelled to the edge of the milky way in a matter of hours.
                        Last edited by thekillman; 18 August 2015, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Superhive: (click to enlarge)
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]40928[/ATTACH]
                          Good catch!

Additionally, Atlantis seems to have travelled to the edge of the milky way in a matter of hours.
                          How do you figure?

What indicators are there in the show of how much time is passing?

Beth

Comment

How do you figure?

What indicators are there in the show of how much time is passing?
                            Sheppard goes to earth, F302's are retrofit, darts and then the hive attack. Then atlantis shows up. it does not even remotely strike me as taking more than a day. It seems to be more like hours. If the hive had been there for days, the SGC simply would've called the Goa'uld or Tok'ra for a solution. They didn't, which seems to indicate to me that they didn't have enough time to mobilize and put a fleet in place. There was also no time to call back the fastest ship in existence, the Odyssey. Hence, i think Hours isnt that crazy. The scenes on Atlantis seem to indicate that they launched in something like the afternoon and got to the Milky Way late in the evening or at night.

Comment

Nice graphic. Curious about the 550 meter figure for the Daedalus. Usually I see 600 to 650 meters for it. I did my own calculations for the Prometheus and got 375 to 450 meters myself.
                              Hi There!

Comment

Working...
                              X