Syfy new series: Gateway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Syfy new series: Gateway

Syfy is adapting another book into a series. This time its "Gateway" by Frederik Pohl.

http://www.blastr.com/2015-8-12/syfy...eway-tv-series

I don't remember reading this book though the cover looks very familiar.

I've never read it, but I've seen that book somewhere before too.
    Looks like it could be a good series, unless they choose to screw it up.

Comment

I guess it all depends on how much money and for how long Syfy (and its owner) are willing to invest in all of those space based shows (how many books are already being adapted for Syfy?).

Because if Killjoys and Dark Matter aren't performing as they expected and next series (should be The Expanse, right?) doesn't get much higher audience, I could see the management just panicking and saying "Screw this, science-fiction was a mistake, let's get back to reality shows!". For that I hope they have a long term plan and perhaps even work on alternate ways of getting money from their series (AKA Netflix etc.).

Otherwise congrats to 'Gateway'.

Comment

I've read a lot by Pohl, but it's been a very long time. Gateway won both the Hugo and Nebula in 1978. I can't recall, but I may have read the second book in the series, Beyond the Blue Event Horizon, but I know I haven't read the three other novels and one collection of short stories that completed the series, even though I do have them on my shelves.

Comment

Gateway was Pohl's better book imo. I remember reading it in one day. But i'm not sure it's adaptable in tv. Pohl's tone is difficult to be adapted and i don't think you can make more of an one season series (after all it's a 280pages book).

Comment

Maybe they are going for a looser adaptation and will only use the core concept. Based on what I read in the press release it shouldn't be hard to spin multiple seasons out of the premise.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd View Post
              Maybe they are going for a looser adaptation and will only use the core concept. Based on what I read in the press release it shouldn't be hard to spin multiple seasons out of the premise.
              That's possible and i don't have any problem with that provided of course that it will be good.

Comment

It's been awhile since I read Frederik Pohl's novel. Though I love Pohl. I hope SyFy treats it well.
                Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Originally posted by pakar View Post
                  Gateway was Pohl's better book imo. I remember reading it in one day. But i'm not sure it's adaptable in tv. Pohl's tone is difficult to be adapted and i don't think you can make more of an one season series (after all it's a 280pages book).
                  Worked for "under the dome"
                  sigpic
                  ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                  A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                  The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by TOIVA View Post
                    I guess it all depends on how much money and for how long Syfy (and its owner) are willing to invest in all of those space based shows (how many books are already being adapted for Syfy?).

Because if Killjoys and Dark Matter aren't performing as they expected and next series (should be The Expanse, right?) doesn't get much higher audience, I could see the management just panicking and saying "Screw this, science-fiction was a mistake, let's get back to reality shows!". For that I hope they have a long term plan and perhaps even work on alternate ways of getting money from their series (AKA Netflix etc.).

Otherwise congrats to 'Gateway'.
                    Watching "Continuum" yesterday, I noticed that one of the promo spots for other SyFy programming had the phrase "SyFyFriday" on the screen.

Maybe they are trying to return to their better days.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                      Watching "Continuum" yesterday, I noticed that one of the promo spots for other SyFy programming had the phrase "SyFyFriday" on the screen.

Maybe they are trying to return to their better days.
                      Well that was the whole summer with Defiance, Dark Matter, and Killjoys, and Dominion was/is the day before.

A pretty good summer block of programming, in my opinion.
                      sigpic

Comment

Heh. I haven't watched Killjoys yet, I didn't like Dominion or Defiance, and I'm only 7 eps into Dark Matter so far. KJ & DM are on the DVR, though.

Comment

Working...
                        X