Destiny's Departure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destiny's Departure

My apologies if this has already been mentioned elsewhere on this forum.

I have recently begun a watch-through of the entirety of Stargate, and last night a theory began forming mid-way through an SG-1 episode.

In regards to dialing the Destiny from the Milky Way, her nine-chevron address includes Earth's Point of Origin as the finally glyph. This was brought up due to thinking that that may have been her starting point.
    However, was not the Alpha Gate brought to Earth by Ra at a time far later than the departure of the Destiny from the Milky Way, therefore that glyph as a point of origin would technically correspond to another planet. By that logic, if Destiny were to have begun her journey from Earth, the ninth-chevron should have been the Beta Gate's glyph.

What does the community think? Writer oversight? Or something deeper that could have been used for another storyline had the series had more of a chance to flesh itself out?

On another note, aren't point of origin glyphs specific to gates and not found on all Milky Way gates? Therefore, the Destiny could only be dialed from the gate specific to her planet of departure.

It's best to put such things as point of origin symbols out of your mind since in the time when the SGC was using the Beta Gate it mysteriously lost its own PoO and had the Alpha gate's somehow.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

While many say that a point of origin is unique to each Stargate, we've seen that it clearly isn't. I think we only ever saw three symbols that were truly unique (Abydos, the Antarctic gate and P7J-989). This may be for budget reasons, as coming up with a new glyph each episode and replacing them on the Stargate and DHD would cost a lot.

However, you could argue that the At symbol is the point of origin for Earth otherwise the Stargate would never have worked. Again you might say that they could have used computers to reconfigure it, similar to how McKay reconfigured the DHD on the hive ship to dial within the Milky Way, but you've missed the experiment in 1945 that activated the Stargate, which used no computers.

Comment

i did bring this up in another thread. Technically, when Destiny was built, the POO origin for Earth was the Gate the Ancients originally put on Earth, not Ra's gate. When Rush tried dialing Destiny, he used Ra's POO, not the Ancients. therefore, it should never have worked.
        if you see a light at the end of the tunnel, it's just a photon torpedo.

Comment

The point of origin doesn't change just because different gate are used.
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

I kind of always got the feeling that the symbols kind of equated to numbers and that each gate actually had some sort of number based address - which was LOOSELY related to its star chart position.

36 or 39 symbols... covering thousands of gates in the MW alone... and then every other gate out there in other galaxies too? It just doesn't quite sound realistic... unless the symbols are somewhat variable.

Also we know from when Sam and Jack got trapped with the second gate that some symbols are repeated on multiple gates because sam guessed the PoO and stated she'd never seen that symbol before - and therefore it must be the PoO. So this means that both earth gates may well have had the same PoO symbol for earth...

I'll stop using the can opener on the worms now

Comment

Working...
            X