This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
    Tell that to the men and women who spent 15 years writing, producing, filming, and acting in the various series...
    It's just an alternate universe - up to all of us to decide which universe is ours (in a manner of speaking, ours being our world) or theirs.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
      Tell that to the men and women who spent 15 years writing, producing, filming, and acting in the various series...
      Or the Authors of the years of EU Star wars..............
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
        If not them, who?
        The fans, that's who - that's why in the long run all reboots that don't accept that are doomed to failure (as commercially successful as they may be when released. It's not the general public that keeps a show/franchise alive, it's the dedicated fans (case in point: Star Wars - decades without movies but the fans kept it alive, Star Trek - years without TV-Shows and only a few movies and still the franchise lived on!) - without them you might make a quick buck but that's it, till you can do another reboot a decade or so later (hopping from reboot to reboot - it's a reason I don't like US-Comic-Stories (like say X-Men) that much, because they don't have a consistent canon and constantly do reboots and retcon stuff etc. and IMHO it does not work well for well established franchises with deep lore!)

ps: I will still give the movie a chance - just like I will (probably) watch that new Star Wars movie (despite not being happy with Disney - the ****s destroyed the EU after all and use the rule of cool in their new movies instead of stuff that makes sense or has previously been established (like that useless cross-guard-lightsaber that would be more dangerous to the wielder than any enemy!) - oh and despite it being a J.J. Crap-Rams (you see I kind of hate the guy) movie (hell, he's repeating his Star Trek blunder (destroying established canon and robbing Star Trek of its' soul by turning it into mindless action flicks -.-) with their help in another scifi universe -.-) which would make Gene Roddenberry verbally crucify him in the media were he still alive)

pps: I still don't get why Lucas had to sell Star Wars - he wasn't exactly starved for money was he? (as far as I remember the guy is LOADED (yes, in caps, he's a billionaire after all!) and didn't need the money at all!) or why he couldn't have just handed the torch to somebody who was already familiar with the universe (and the Expanded Universe), so that new movies might have had characters like Thrawn in them etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Laxian of Earth View Post
          The fans, that's who
          Oh twaddle.
          The fans can decide what they like, and what they don't like, but they cannot decide what is canon and what is not outside of their own world.
          - that's why in the long run all reboots that don't accept that are doomed to failure (as commercially successful as they may be when released.
          Umm, studio's may or may not care about that, and really, all they care about is commercial success. They don't use "fan metric" (whatever that may be to an individual, but MONEY.
          It's not the general public that keeps a show/franchise alive, it's the dedicated fans (case in point: Star Wars - decades without movies but the fans kept it alive, Star Trek - years without TV-Shows and only a few movies and still the franchise lived on!)
          The general public is the only group that can -revive- a franchise, cause in the "wilderness years" they really don't care about the franchise. If you pitch a movie -just- for the existing fans, not only will you fail to turn a buck, you will wipe it of the TV/movie slate for decades, or forever.
          - without them you might make a quick buck but that's it, till you can do another reboot a decade or so later (hopping from reboot to reboot - it's a reason I don't like US-Comic-Stories (like say X-Men) that much, because they don't have a consistent canon and constantly do reboots and retcon stuff etc. and IMHO it does not work well for well established franchises with deep lore!)
          The lore of those comic books extends much, much further back than stargate, movie or show, so considering things like X-men are still viable, think it works fine. I may not like every direction they take, but they have the strength, and the sense to do the retcons, or reboots as needed. SGU was a statistical failure, enough so that MGM has not decided to give it to another TV show.

ps: I will still give the movie a chance - just like I will (probably) watch that new Star Wars movie (despite not being happy with Disney - the ****s destroyed the EU after all and use the rule of cool in their new movies instead of stuff that makes sense or has previously been established (like that useless cross-guard-lightsaber that would be more dangerous to the wielder than any enemy!)
          How is it more dangerous to the user?
          It's a bit of a W ank, sure, but dangerous to the user? A saber-staff will cut your leg off if you don't know how to use it as well!!
          - oh and despite it being a J.J. Crap-Rams (you see I kind of hate the guy) movie (hell, he's repeating his Star Trek blunder (destroying established canon and robbing Star Trek of its' soul by turning it into mindless action flicks -.-) with their help in another scifi universe -.-) which would make Gene Roddenberry verbally crucify him in the media were he still alive)
          Hey, I don't like what he did to Trek either, but it proves the point that the "hardcore fans" just don't have the impact that they would like to believe they do.
          pps: I still don't get why Lucas had to sell Star Wars - he wasn't exactly starved for money was he? (as far as I remember the guy is LOADED (yes, in caps, he's a billionaire after all!) and didn't need the money at all!) or why he couldn't have just handed the torch to somebody who was already familiar with the universe (and the Expanded Universe), so that new movies might have had characters like Thrawn in them etc.
          He -did- hand it to people who knew the lore.
          Did he have to sell it?
          Nope.
          Did you want him making 7-9 after the.......... "wonders" of 1-3?
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Working...
          X