This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is SGU to blame for no new SG shows?

I was looking up info on Internet Movie Database (www.imdb.com) and I discovered a posting blaming no new SG shows on SGU. How do you guys feel? Do you think SGU is the cause of no new shows?
    sigpic

This was discussed extensively here on GW when SGU was cancelled. Some people do believe that there are no new SG anything because SGU got cancelled after two years. Some peoble blame the cancellation of SGA on SGU, too. SGU was getting very bad ratings at the time it was cancelled, and that is the most reasonable explanation for the cancellation of SGU. As for it being responsible for no more SG, there are all kind of opinions on that.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
      This was discussed extensively here on GW when SGU was cancelled. Some people do believe that there are no new SG anything because SGU got cancelled after two years. Some peoble blame the cancellation of SGA on SGU, too. SGU was getting very bad ratings at the time it was cancelled, and that is the most reasonable explanation for the cancellation of SGU. As for it being responsible for no more SG, there are all kind of opinions on that.
      See, I can follow their logic. Those that blame SGU. I've read that SGA was cancelled to usher in SGU. SGU was too much of a departure from what SG1 and SGA had established...which caused a loss of viewers. Even though, IMHO, I think the second season was awesome...it just couldn't pick up viewers.
      sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I am not a big fan of Universe, however I loved Atlantis and SG-1. They did try to make something different but they failed, it could've been cool but the way they did it... eh...

Comment

Originally posted by jfarrell327 View Post
          Yeah, I am not a big fan of Universe, however I loved Atlantis and SG-1. They did try to make something different but they failed, it could've been cool but the way they did it... eh...
          I am and always will be an SG1 fan...SGA is a close second...and SGU...I disliked at first. But I grew to love it starting around season 1.5.
          sigpic

Comment

I think SGU's only real problem was how slow it was. Has anyone ever rewatched the first ten episodes in full?
            Whole episodes spent on the acquisition of water and energy wasted the viewer's attention(and are not particularly inviting to rewatches).

Otherwise, I loved it. Well, the characters could've been better defined and more memorable, but yeah, the atmosphere was great and it was definitely distinctive. The darker, gritty thing never really bothered me.
            "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
              I think SGU's only real problem was how slow it was. Has anyone ever rewatched the first ten episodes in full?
              Whole episodes spent on the acquisition of water and energy wasted the viewer's attention(and are not particularly inviting to rewatches).

Otherwise, I loved it. Well, the characters could've been better defined and more memorable, but yeah, the atmosphere was great and it was definitely distinctive. The darker, gritty thing never really bothered me.
              See I really enjoy the slow build personally, and I found the whole of the first ten episodes to be very rewatchable, but it's easy to see why others may not feel the same.

To be honest I think TPTB just shot themselves in the foot. If they wanted to create a darker show they should have started by slowly making SGA darker and then easing people into it. Instead it lost so many fans because it was too gritty and didn't gain enough other fans cos people who don't watch stargate just wrote it off without giving it a go. Which is a shame, cos personally I find SGU is the best Stargate had been since SG-1 seasons 1-3.
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                See I really enjoy the slow build personally, and I found the whole of the first ten episodes to be very rewatchable, but it's easy to see why others may not feel the same.

To be honest I think TPTB just shot themselves in the foot. If they wanted to create a darker show they should have started by slowly making SGA darker and then easing people into it. Instead it lost so many fans because it was too gritty and didn't gain enough other fans cos people who don't watch stargate just wrote it off without giving it a go. Which is a shame, cos personally I find SGU is the best Stargate had been since SG-1 seasons 1-3.
                See, I agree with Rushy about the beginning of SGU. I found it hard to watch. It wasn't until the second half of the first season that I found myself wanting to watch the show and anticipating the next episode.
                sigpic

Comment

No, I don't think SGU is to blame for no new Stargate shows.

There are many more credible explanations for why we don't have any. MGM of today wishes to go down the Star Trek route and revive Roland's idea only to try and farm more cash from a potential audience. It won't work because Stargate is not Star Trek and erasing what the TV series built is bad and only a fool would do such a thing. Stargate SG1/SGA and SGU made the Stargate Universe Popular.

Syfy only signed a deal for 2 Season at 40 Episode total.

I firmly believe that SGU will return one day. It and the TV Series Universe are too good to throw away. I will watch the new movie if it comes but will I like it. Judging by history and what is planned probably not. Stargate to me is the TV Series SG1 SGA and SGU. Not "Stargate"

Comment

All this SGU blaming is just a fan reaction to aim their hatred somewhere. A lot of things changed before and during SGU's run, including the DVD market dropping like a brick and MGM going bankrupt as well as SyFy changing it's slots around.

If SGU had survived past it's second year it's likely that we would see it continue, but judging from the past, it too would not have survived past it's fifth season. A fourth show would've depended on whether there was a plan and money.

SGA being canceled in favor of SGU is a blatant lie, and it stems from the bad timing of the Announcements. The writers of SGA expected SGA wouldn't live past season six, and the execs thought one season less. SGU didn't cause the cancellation of SGA: it was already in queue to be cancelled. It's a money versus risk thing.

Comment

In my opinion? Yes. SGU was a failure, for whatever reason. (i don't know, didn't watch it) Failed shows don't generally get follow ups without special circumstances being involved.

Of course 'blame' is a strong word. SGU's poor performance is certainly a factor it's by no means the only one. Not least of being, was MGM is a really tight spot financially at the time? To the point where 007's Skyfall which I'd have thought was the closest thing to guaranteed money was being put on hold.

So tl;dr - SGU to blame? partly but not entirely.
                      sigpic
                      Banner By JME2

Comment

I feel that since SGU got cancelled after only 2 seasons MGM felt there was no future for Stargate on television and it gave them the impetus to focus on the reboot. So it didn't kill Stargate per se but pushed it in another direction. One I'm not particularly fond of, but that's neither here nor there.
                        sigpic

Comment

The reason SGU got 2 seasons right away was based on how successful the previous two series had been. They figured they had a slam dunk when it came to something with "Stargate" in the title. And then the ratings went downhill, but they were already committed to two seasons, so I'm pretty sure they knew before Season 2 started that they were going to cancel it.

As to the new Stargate movie, Emmerich and Devlin probably came to them asking for the rights back, and probably didn't have to pay as much to get it back and MGM decided to try it out for at least one movie to see if there was a future for it again.

Comment

eh....I have a bad feeling about this, they are remade national lampoons vacation, and it doesn't look as funny as the original, remakes can be a tricky thing, if things change too much then you might just flop, change too little and again a flop, very difficult.

as for who is responsible for why no new stargate stuff, we discussed that on the old syfy boards, here is the conversation we had about that.

here is a shortened version, if you want to hear the real thing, then check out your atlantis disks, if you have them, here.

season-4

disk-3

episode-this mortal coil

time index

06:29-07:02
                            +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

here is the transcript as requested, it is as close as i can get it, thier voices are so similar, i may have gotten who is actually speaking wrong.

joseph mallozzi:

this is the old blade set, we still have that this year?

william waring:

yes we do.

joseph mallozzi:

now as we speak...um...we're in you know... brad and robert are in ah...you know... the pre pilot stage of ah universe and there's talk of turning that blade set in to a standing set for universe what that will mean for atlantis i don't know.

this is all i have found.

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post

On all 3 of my rewatches of the entire SGU show, the only ep of the first 9 i sometimes skip is ep 8, TIME.

All the rest, even water, all 3 of air, Darkness/light, Life and earth i do.

Comment

Working...
                              X