Page 834 of 836 FirstFirst ... 334734784824831832833834835836 LastLast
Results 16,661 to 16,680 of 16717

Default Re: Discussion about hot topics trending today

Quote Originally Posted by SoulReaver View Post
    maybe they were still conscious but don't remember it
    just like we don't remember (most) dreams
    I believe that, there's some testimonies of comatose patient remembering doctors hovering over them.
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulReaver View Post
    maybe they were still conscious but don't remember it
    just like we don't remember (most) dreams
    Dream state of sleep is easily recognized, it's known as R.E.M. sleep. As far as I understand it, a certain amount is needed to maintain good mental health.

It's actually quite easy to remember your dreams. Just be woken up often during sleep. I've found that I remember many dreams for a short time anyway when first woken up.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    I would say that tood is making a different point.
    My point is that it was a bad argument all around on both sides. Life isn't determined, it is assumed. Death is what is determined. A doctor needs not test me to know that I am alive, it's a case of "I'll know it when I see it". Death is determined by taking readings such as brain waves or heart beats. Until we can determine life, it's guess work. Personally I'd edge on the side of caution but that's just me.

It's one of these moral dilemmas that doesn't really have a happy ending no matter how you look at it.

In my opinon, our opinions should weight very little in this matter. Ultimately it should be the choice of the actual woman carrying the child, not us men or women discussing what a woman should do with her body.

(Given certain restrictions of course)
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

You can't always predict how a SCOTUS judge will vote, can you?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...store-proceed/

Justice Brett M. Kavanaugh joined the liberal justices in the majority.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
    It's one of these moral dilemmas that doesn't really have a happy ending no matter how you look at it.

In my opinon, our opinions should weight very little in this matter. Ultimately it should be the choice of the actual woman carrying the child, not us men or women discussing what a woman should do with her body.

(Given certain restrictions of course)
    I tend to reject both pro life and probably choice. I have a hard time agreeing that the mother has all the say what happens to a child.
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    I tend to reject both pro life and probably choice. I have a hard time agreeing that the mother has all the say what happens to a child.
    The part nobody agrees on is when is when the fetus becomes a ''child''. I'm glad I do not have to make that determination, there are good arguments on both sides I think. Tood does have a point that we can't really tell for sure, I mean nobody's inside the baby's head to know he's conscious or not.

That being said, the Pro-Lifers wants to take away the very choice of the woman involved. That's not acceptable to me, and we all know that women will still abort in crude manners even if it's banned and risk getting killed in the process, as seen many decades ago.
    Spoiler:

I Don't disagree with you there. My problem is I find its more complex than a child's life or a woman wanting to choose. I know I will get attacked for this but I have problems that when it comes to a child a father has no say. I understand nothing happens to his body but it concerns me he has no say in a being that is half his genrs
    Jelgate is right

I don't think you're alone on that, thing is there's only two outcome, keep it or leave it. Which begs the question, should the Dad be able to force a woman to keep the baby? Or perhaps he could take custody if the abortion limit date is past?
    Spoiler:

Of course not force. That is just as bad as a pro life argument. Which just brings me back to my original stance. This is more complicated than life vs choice which is why I reject both. I tend to reject most binary arguments
    Jelgate is right

Unbelievable.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainmen...buse-1.5135000

Keya Morgan was charged on Friday with five counts of elder abuse, including false imprisonment, fraud and forgery stemming from an incident last summer when Lee was 95 years old, a spokeswoman for the Los Angeles Superior Court public information office told Los Angeles City News Service.
    There are two things I hate above all in this world, child and woman beaters AND elderly abusers. I hope there's a special place in hell for those persons.
    Spoiler:

I feel similar about animal abusers.
    Jelgate is right

I feel similar about animal abusers.
    For once we agree. Maybe.

If I had my druthers, anyone convicted of animal abuse should be subjected to the exact same treatment that the abused animal was given, fatal or not.

As far as Stan Lee's situation, how many others have the same or similar carried out on them? The only reason we hear about this is Lee's celebrity status.

And here, we have the best reason possible to avoid driving small cars.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/study-f...e-is-the-worst

Some numb-nut needed a study to learn this? Whatever happened to plain old common sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    And here, we have the best reason possible to avoid driving small cars.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/study-f...e-is-the-worst

Some numb-nut needed a study to learn this? Whatever happened to plain old common sense?
    You're blind to the true message conveyed to you.

No **** dude small cars kill everybody knows it. Corporations invest millions for idiotic studies such as this so they can advertise themselves by news outlets they got in their pockets. It reaffirms your will and desire to buy big cars.
    Spoiler:

Classic definition of confirmation bias
    Jelgate is right

Classic definition of confirmation bias
    My post in 5 words.

I would grant you some bacon but there's been talk of lizard bacon lately so I'm applying 25% tariff
    Spoiler:

*takes out Annoyed's credit card*

You have to make a living
    Jelgate is right

You're blind to the true message conveyed to you.

No **** dude small cars kill everybody knows it. Corporations invest millions for idiotic studies such as this so they can advertise themselves by news outlets they got in their pockets. It reaffirms your will and desire to buy big cars.
    How about the simplest explanation is the best? In addition to needing the truck & towing capability, I want to to be the one to walk away from it.

My post in 5 words.

I would grant you some bacon but there's been talk of lizard bacon lately so I'm applying 25% tariff
    A 25% tariff won't slow a bacon fiend like jegate down at all. He might actually consider lizard bacon a rare delicacy.