Page 590 of 595 FirstFirst ... 90490540580587588589590591592593 ... LastLast
Results 11,781 to 11,800 of 11890

Default Re: Discussion about hot topics trending today

Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    Recall a few weeks back, I said the NFL would do something about it as soon as they realize it's affecting their profits? Like it or not, a lot of NFL fans consider the protests offensive, and are expressing their displeasure by not watching the games. You didn't think that would carry weight with the NFL owners?
    Yea no.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamhar.../#4601a7e34efc

Interestingly, later analysis showed that overall people were watching 5% more games. But they were watching less of each game. In other words, fans had become more casual about their viewership. People were watching less TV, watching less cable, and that included live sports. And those who stream games almost never streamed the entire game.
    According to Radio + Television Business Report (RBR.com) the age of live sports viewers is scewing older. Much older. Today the average NFL viewer is at least 50. Similar to tennis, and college basketball and football. That's second only to baseball at 57 - which was 50 as recently as 2000. But no sport is immune. NHL viewers are now typically 49. They were 33 in 2000. As simple arithmetic shows, the same folks are watching hockey but few new viewers are being attracted. Based on recent trends, Magna projects viewership for the Sochi Olympics and 2018 World Cup will both decline.
    To understand what's happening with NFL ratings we really don't have to look much further than simple demographics -- the aging of the U.S. population -- and the change in viewing behavior from older groups to younger groups.
    Hell, there's even a politifact article:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...-are-way-down/

NFL game attendance dropped slightly from 2016 to 2017, and rose from 2015 to 2016.

As for political motivation, there’s little evidence to suggest people are boycotting the NFL. Most of the professional sports franchises are dealing with declines in popularity.

We rate this claim Mostly False.
    Besides, dropping ratings have been a thing for all of TV, including Stargate. It took live sports a bit longer, but looks like that too can't escape the trend.

Well, of course politifact will claim false, they're somewhat biased to the left themselves, as a most of the "fact checkers".

I can point out and posted numerous articles stating that the politics is hurting the NFL audience size. I don't give a flying fig if some left wing site approves or disapproves of them. We shall see what plays out in real life.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

Not so fond of this...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/11/u...t-license.html

Yes, I agree, the alphabet networks and most media in this country is heavily biased. But this idea is going over the line. As I've said over and over, let anyone say whatever they want, it's the audiences job to decide the value of what is being said or if they even want to listen to it.
    Have you worked out what he is yet?
    That's -all- that matters.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet

Well, of course politifact will claim false, they're somewhat biased to the left themselves, as a most of the "fact checkers".

I can point out and posted numerous articles stating that the politics is hurting the NFL audience size. I don't give a flying fig if some left wing site approves or disapproves of them. We shall see what plays out in real life.
    What you can "point to" is a different interpretation of the data. I have no doubt that the protests -are- indeed hurting viewership, but that is not where it stops. It is hurting viewership -because- the viewership skews older, and older people are more inclined to be -conservative-. If I put a leftist political firebrand on FOX, or a right wing talkback radio station, consumption would decline as well, not because of the -politics- exactly, but because the particular brand of politics is viewed poorly in such mediums by the majority of the audience consuming it.

Quote Originally Posted by pookey View Post
    Did the baker who refused service also own the business?
    He does.

Does that make it any different?
    So, I guess you approve of discrimination based on political/religious views then. Good to know.

Recall a few weeks back, I said the NFL would do something about it as soon as they realize it's affecting their profits? Like it or not, a lot of NFL fans consider the protests offensive, and are expressing their displeasure by not watching the games. You didn't think that would carry weight with the NFL owners?
    Might have to bring it up that there's a precedent case of colleage students vs. their university where they won the freedom to sit during the national anthem.

Seeing as how Kaepernick was told by a veteran that kneeling is more respectful, the message is once again lost on Americans.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1201&dateline=1311771170
    icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    He does.

Does that make it any different?
    So, I guess you approve of discrimination based on political/religious views then. Good to know.
    It does make it -different-, just only insofar as there is a difference between -owner- and -employee-.
    To reverse the situation, IF an employee refused to serve an "XYZ" because of them being "XYZ" and the employer demanded that they should, does the employer have the right to fire? That silly bint who refused to hand out marriage licences to gay couples certainly got vilified for her actions, as did the cop who did not want to work the gay pride event. While those are both -government- examples, I know it does happen in the private sector as well.
    You -must- apply the standard equally, and the standard here is not "right or wrong", but the ability of an employer to limit their employee actions while "on the clock", weather you or we agree on the action in question.
    Might have to bring it up that there's a precedent case of colleage students vs. their university where they won the freedom to sit during the national anthem.
    Colleges are not employers of students, you would have no legal parallel or precedent to draw
    Seeing as how Kaepernick was told by a veteran that kneeling is more respectful, the message is once again lost on Americans.
    This -is- your double standard, players/employee's can (or possibly be even forced) to represent causes that the employer finds tasteful -to them-, but denied the choice to represent causes that the employee finds tasteful.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    That silly bint who refused to hand out marriage licences to gay couples certainly got vilified for her actions, as did the cop who did not want to work the gay pride event. While those are both -government- examples, I know it does happen in the private sector as well.
    The difference is that the county clerk (or whatever) and the police officer were representing the govt. in their job functions, and as such they have to carry out the will of the govt. If the govt. is not allowed to discriminate, they can't impose their views because they are representing the govt.

Different ballgame entirely in the private sector.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."

The difference is that the county clerk (or whatever) and the police officer were representing the govt. in their job functions, and as such they have to carry out the will of the govt. If the govt. is not allowed to discriminate, they can't impose their views because they are representing the govt.

Different ballgame entirely in the private sector.
    How do you continually manage to quote HALF of a post, and ignore the rest?
    The "will of the government" SHOULD be the WILL of the people, not some of them, not the one you like, but ALL of them, and, like it or not, government will -always- come down to either the majority of the people, or the wishes of the leader.

The private sector -is not- a "different ballgame entirely", it merely has slightly different rules and answers to a different boss.

Let me ask you a question.
    If "taking a knee is "bad for ratings", what do you think the ratings will be when entire teams don't show up?
    The NFL is predominantly filled with African American athletes, owned by rich white guys who became rich white guys from NFL (gee, that sounds familiar somehow)
    What if they all just refused to play?

How do you continually manage to quote HALF of a post, and ignore the rest?
    The "will of the government" SHOULD be the WILL of the people, not some of them, not the one you like, but ALL of them, and, like it or not, government will -always- come down to either the majority of the people, or the wishes of the leader.

The private sector -is not- a "different ballgame entirely", it merely has slightly different rules and answers to a different boss.

Let me ask you a question.
    If "taking a knee is "bad for ratings", what do you think the ratings will be when entire teams don't show up?
    The NFL is predominantly filled with African American athletes, owned by rich white guys who became rich white guys from NFL (gee, that sounds familiar somehow)
    What if they all just refused to play?
    Then the rich white guys would simply find other people willing to play. It's that simple.
    How can you not understand that its a privately owned business, and can do as it wishes ?

Not so fond of this...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/11/u...t-license.html

Yes, I agree, the alphabet networks and most media in this country is heavily biased. But this idea is going over the line. As I've said over and over, let anyone say whatever they want, it's the audiences job to decide the value of what is being said or if they even want to listen to it.
    IN a way i disagree.. I do feel there needs to be some punishment for the press consistently making up fake stories..
    BUT I also agree, censoring them by denying them their FCC license, would set a bad precedent..

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    IN a way i disagree.. I do feel there needs to be some punishment for the press consistently making up fake stories..
    BUT I also agree, censoring them by denying them their FCC license, would set a bad precedent..
    That "punishment" should be at the hands of the viewers, as they stop watching.

There's an old saying... "we get the government that we deserve". If people would stop accepting the gibberish coming out of obviously biased sources and think for themselves, we would have a better government.

But on the other hand, the left has been using the schools to teach people NOT to think for themselves...

There's an old saying... "we get the government that we deserve". If people would stop accepting the gibberish coming out of obviously biased sources and think for themselves, we would have a better government.
    I agree, yet people continue to watch fox news.

Then the rich white guys would simply find other people willing to play. It's that simple.
    How can you not understand that its a privately owned business, and can do as it wishes ?
    They are not burger flippers, they are -professional athletes-

They are not burger flippers, they are -professional athletes-
    And if the NFL fired the lot of their current rosters this February, how many college players would stand in line to take their place?

Yes. Since this IS impacting their "Job" by losing fan base.. Just like those workers at Mcdonalds who spat in cops drinks/refused service fired THEM, cause it caused customers to leave or threaten to leave..
    You are ignoring the point of my post. Is it or is it not hypocrisy to cry about seeing something "offensive" in the NFL and then chastise liberals for doing the same thing? Maybe you should change your username to"Ignore" cause that is what you do to posts and questions to which you have no answer to, or rather not answer.

If his employer is fine with it, have at it.
    And the reason the NFL is doing this is as expected, it's starting to affect their bottom line. It's costing them viewers on TV. Since these protest started up in ernest, viewership is down.

You too have failed to deal with my point.

Let me explain it again. YOU say that people are too easily offended and you should make a big deal out of it because it's just "words". But here's a thing that offends you (and others of your political persuasion like your former messiah) being offended easily and causing storm over someone's speech. Just like liberals who want to fire or crucify anyone who says something they disagree with you, Trump wants the NFL players fired. It's the exact same thing. It's a textbook example of hypocrisy.

Isn't that convenient? You have evidence that challenges my POV? IT"S FAKE!!!!!!! Every time you offered data to me or others, we gave you an alternative interpretation. However when I or others offer you data, you simply call it "Fake news".

And if the NFL fired the lot of their current rosters this February, how many college players would stand in line to take their place?
    You think College players aren't getting a degree in something? If you were a college player and felt that you had zero job security on the NFL (Because they fire players at a greater rate than Trump tweets) would you not go after a more secure career?

I'm starting to think that there might be some sort of organization, or at least some other people involved in Las Vegas. They still have no idea what his motivation was, and the more we learn about it, it seems that it was too meticulously planned for it all to be the efforts of a single person. If so, this would elevate it beyond the status of a lone nutjob to terrorism. I wonder what the goal or objective is.
    What about this guy?
    https://theintercept.com/2017/10/11/...tes-asheville/

Quote Originally Posted by thekillman View Post
    How is Fox so biased, compared to say MSNBC or CNN?? THEY Have people from both sides of the spectrum on.. Unlike the 99% of the time liberals MSNBC gets.

How is Fox so biased, compared to say MSNBC or CNN?? THEY Have people from both sides of the spectrum on.. Unlike the 99% of the time liberals MSNBC gets.
    "hey man, my pile of **** is 5 feet high, but it looks like theirs is six feet high, why is nobody going after them! leave my pile of **** alone!"

It does make it -different-, just only insofar as there is a difference between -owner- and -employee-.
    To reverse the situation, IF an employee refused to serve an "XYZ" because of them being "XYZ" and the employer demanded that they should, does the employer have the right to fire? That silly bint who refused to hand out marriage licences to gay couples certainly got vilified for her actions, as did the cop who did not want to work the gay pride event. While those are both -government- examples, I know it does happen in the private sector as well.
    You -must- apply the standard equally, and the standard here is not "right or wrong", but the ability of an employer to limit their employee actions while "on the clock", weather you or we agree on the action in question.
    Point taken.

A company has policies which an employee upon hiring has to read and sign, acknowledging they agree to the terms.
    Plenty of cases known where new hires and employees have been fired for breaking the company policy rules. When severe enough to warrant such a sacking.

The last one I heard about was a guy who had been trashtalking 343 Industries in his past internet history. He'd just landed a job at the company, however, though as you can imagine his hiring was revoked when they found out about that little secret.

343 Industries is the company behind the Halo franchise.

So, it's only natural the McDonalds', or whatever hamburger chain's, employees were sacked, and so should that nitwit Kim Davis have been.

So, if the baker's company policy is that he cannot service couples which his religion tells him are living in some sort of sin or does not agree with, then he can refuse all he like in my opinion. If he does not have it in writing, he should keep his discrimination out of the workplace and do his job as baker. I think that would be the simplest way of solving this issue -- write it down in the or a company policy -- serving only good christian couples (who did not have sexual intercourse before the marriage).

I foresee lots of clauses in his policy.

If he doesn't like a 5-star rating for service, who are we to stop him (from going bankrupt at some point).

This -is- your double standard, players/employee's can (or possibly be even forced) to represent causes that the employer finds tasteful -to them-, but denied the choice to represent causes that the employee finds tasteful.
    Can you be a little more specific, I don't quite follow what you mean (I think).

Oh wait... no, I do get it... It goes back to company policy where an employee needs to step in line with the regulations and policies set forth by the company they work for, while at the same time an employee cannot express or represent personal choice or opinions when they clash with that policy -- hence why company policies are usually as broad as possible within the rules of the land. If the rules of the land dictate that one cannot discriminate against straights, a company cannot have a policy rule stating it's okay to discriminate against straights.

That what you mean?

Although, not entirely sure where my double standard comes into play...

Colleges are not employers of students, you would have no legal parallel or precedent to draw
    Neither are NFL teams.

But players are members of a union... weird.

Anyhoodle, found an article on Forbes that explains it better:

NFL Looks To Require Standing During National Anthem, Widening Divide With Players
    October 10, 2017 article so very recent

Do the rich white guys like to loose?

I mean, I imagine that a team only wants to have the best players so that they can win at the game, right...

times infinity

Were you typing this with a straight face? Cause I sure can't read it with one.

Quote Originally Posted by thekillman View Post
    Mike. Drop.

^^ is he serious?
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1201&dateline=1311771170
    icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon

Neither are NFL teams.

But players are members of a union... weird.
    Huh? NFL player are absolutely employees of the team they play for. How can you think otherwise?

Anyhoodle, found an article on Forbes that explains it better:

NFL Looks To Require Standing During National Anthem, Widening Divide With Players
    October 10, 2017 article so very recent
    Didn't I say a few weeks back that the NFL owners would take steps to force players to stand as soon as they realized that it was affecting their profit/loss statements?

Do the rich white guys like to loose?

I mean, I imagine that a team only wants to have the best players so that they can win at the game, right...
    I had surmised that all teams had fired their existing players; everyone would be starting from scratch.

times infinity
    Were you typing this with a straight face? Cause I sure can't read it with one.
    Absolutely straight. That was not a joke.