X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this one's just for your GOPlers:

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/p...er/3210080002/

now let's see if Sarah Huckabeef Sanders stands by her man like any good traditional especially conservative wife should

thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
      like any good traditional especially conservative wife should

thoughts?
      Where's my sandwich?
      Spoiler:
      I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

No sandwich, I see.

Meanwhile

https://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...racism-protest

Yay or Nay? Should we keep statues of historic icons responsible for terrible things, or should we store those in a museum instead?
        Spoiler:
        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
          No sandwich, I see.

Meanwhile

Yay or Nay? Should we keep statues of historic icons responsible for terrible things, or should we store those in a museum instead?
          could go either way....I do not support attempts to whitewash history so I say keep them....as reminders of what can happen when tyranny is allowed to go unchecked....though admittedly they can serve that function in a museum just as well as they can in the public square

Comment

No sandwich, I see.

Meanwhile

Many historical figures have had their statues defaces or outright removed at the behest of the terminally hypersensitive who are always looking for ways to be offended.

These figures were behaving according to the mores of their times, and it is not fair to judge them by the standards of today.

Just for example, was Canada having a problem with Chinese immigrants at the time? Then he was justified in his entry tax.
            Last edited by Annoyed; 21 March 2019, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
              Many historical figures have had their statues defaces or outright removed at the behest of the terminally hypersensitive who are always looking for ways to be offended.
              I totally agree with this in principles. Although the message sent by the group was not about getting rid of it, it was about storing it in a museum instead of a public monument.

This isn't on the same scale obviously but would you be okay with having a statue of Hitler in a public space in Berlin, or would you rather have it stored in a museum?

These figures were behaving according to the mores of their times, and it is not fair to judge them by the standards of today.
              Well in the case of McDonald, he was actually responsible for the residential schools, where thousands of natives were locked in establishments to turn "savages" into civil men. All those kids suffered torture, rape, beatings and cultural destruction. McDonald was a fierce loyalist that tried without success to establish a second UK in Canada.

Just for example, was Canada having a problem with Chinese immigrants at the time? Then he was justified in his entry tax.
              Actually believe it or not the biggest threat Canada faced at the time was invasion by the US.
              Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                could go either way....I do not support attempts to whitewash history so I say keep them....as reminders of what can happen when tyranny is allowed to go unchecked....though admittedly they can serve that function in a museum just as well as they can in the public square
                History needs to be preserved, as either a teaching tool or a lesson, you a quite right MG.
                The problem here is, the statues in question being revered, rather than reviled.
                Last edited by Gatefan1976; 21 March 2019, 07:49 PM.
                sigpic
                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                  History needs to be preserved, as either a teaching tool or a lesson, you a quite right MG.
                  The problem here is, the statues in question being revered, rather than reviled.
                  wouldn't that be more the fault of the education system that teaches that tyranny is to be celebrated?

Comment

I totally agree with this in principles. Although the message sent by the group was not about getting rid of it, it was about storing it in a museum instead of a public monument.

This isn't on the same scale obviously but would you be okay with having a statue of Hitler in a public space in Berlin, or would you rather have it stored in a museum?

Well in the case of McDonald, he was actually responsible for the residential schools, where thousands of natives were locked in establishments to turn "savages" into civil men. All those kids suffered torture, rape, beatings and cultural destruction. McDonald was a fierce loyalist that tried without success to establish a second UK in Canada.

Actually believe it or not the biggest threat Canada faced at the time was invasion by the US.
                    us crazy western NYers...always wanting to invade Canada...mainly for the poutine

Comment

Difficult call.
                      America has mount Rushmore with past Presidents on display, this McDonald is a past President of Canada. Does Canada erect statues of all its past Presidents in various places? And America too?
                      If so, as a past President he has a right to be where he is if the people want him there. If they want to put all Presidents in museums, they have that right too.
                      Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't I read somewhere America was removing statues of Confederate heroes in the deep south?
                      http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

wouldn't that be more the fault of the education system that teaches that tyranny is to be celebrated?
                        No, because the education system has never told them to be revered.

This is the problem you and annoyed seem to share, that education is some kind of evil entity, and it's not.
                        sigpic
                        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

us crazy western NYers...always wanting to invade Canada...mainly for the poutine
                          Hardly. It's for the Beer. Molson sells something called Brador up there that you can't buy in the U.S.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                            No, because the education system has never told them to be revered.

This is the problem you and annoyed seem to share, that education is some kind of evil entity, and it's not.
                            Education is fine and dandy. It's our education industry which is to be reviled.

Comment

Originally posted by Who Knows View Post
                              Difficult call.
                              America has mount Rushmore with past Presidents on display, this McDonald is a past President of Canada. Does Canada erect statues of all its past Presidents in various places? And America too?
                              If so, as a past President he has a right to be where he is if the people want him there. If they want to put all Presidents in museums, they have that right too.
                              Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't I read somewhere America was removing statues of Confederate heroes in the deep south?
                              We have our share of monuments and statues all over the country, one has to remember Canada begun as a UK model more or less.

McDonald is the first Prime Minister, he created Canada. Although, this man was openly a white supremacist in all aspects and his past is very controversial. He repressed harshly the French Canadians and natives, I think having a statue of him in a public space in Montreal is a slap in the face personally.

Most English speaking Canadians don't see things the same way though.
                              Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                                Hardly. It's for the Beer. Molson sells something called Brador up there that you can't buy in the U.S.
                                Do you even micro-breweries? That is where the gold is mate. Quebec has much to offer in that regard.
                                Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                                X