This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discussion about hot topics trending today

I don't know if this has been done somewhere else, but here goes. This is a thread to discuss anything within reason that's hot and trending today in the news. The only rule is that it has to be a polite and friendly discussion. Let me start.

Recently there's been news and talk about getting rid of the rebel flag that's flown in many places, shown on TV and such, etc. For example, TVLand won't be showing reruns of The Dukes Of Hazzard because of the rebel flag shown prominently on the General Lee car. Besides that, I heard on one of our local radio stations that a man who bought a 'General Lee' car for a hefty price at an auction is repainting the rebel flag on top of the car and putting an American flag on top.

My feeling is that it's part of American history. It should be in a museum, not flown like any other flag. As for the one on the General Lee car, for pete's sake! That's just a TV show! The show was about the Duke family and such, NOT about racism. Yes, the rebel flag stood for that, to an extent, but that was over 100 years ago. I also feel it stood for Southern pride as well.

So what are your thoughts? Remember, no arguing or fighting here. Just a friendly, hearty discussion instead.
    Last edited by imzadi35; 08 July 2015, 03:14 PM.
    Turas Sábháilte, Baile Sábháilte
    (Safe Journey, Safe Home.)

Personally i think this is just a knee jerk PC reaction to seeing Roof have a patch of it on his sleeve in the picture. Nothing more.

Comment

I agree with the idea of this thread; same rules as the political thread. I rather enjoy that thread. This is one of the few message boards I've ever seen where open, uncensored discussions between widely differing points of view are allowed, and I've never seen it go on as long as it has without someone stooping to personal insults, cheap shots, etc. Kudos to all of the participants in that thread for that accomplishment.

Ideally, I think the admins should create a separate section for it, and members can post new threads for issues as they arise. Otherwise the thread will become hopelessly cluttered and unnavigable due to the number of topics people are talking about. I would be responding to issue A, while the post after mine is a response to someone else about issue B and so forth. Just my 2¢ worth.
      ===========================

Regarding the confederate flag issue. It's just more political correctness gone wild. "Dukes" never had a racist bone in its body.

Although I know the history involved, the Confederate flag has never had racial overtones to me. It is more about the spirit of rebellion against authority, particularly that of government, a spirit I tend to agree with more than not.

My reaction to this was to order the series off Amazon before it becomes unavailable. I am as yet unsure if I was successful. The series box set was already marked as out of stock and uncertain to be restocked when I ordered. Season 4 was out of stock, but expected back in. I know I got the last available for one other season, as well. Hopefully, I'll end up with the complete series.

Comment

What puzzles me is why Southerners can't find another symbol that would stand for pride in their heritage other than one that to everyone else represents treason, insurrection and the subjugation of a whole class of people. That flag wasn't even an official flag of the Confederacy, but rather the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia, and it wasn't prominently used in modern times until the early 50s when Strom Thurmond was campaigning against integration.

I have no problem with individuals displaying it in their yard, or as stickers on the windshield or bumper of their car/truck. I consider it a 1st Amendment, free speech issue...and also a good way to spot bigots. But it has no place as an official flag of any state in the Union. If there is any doubt that there is still a strong racist streak in this country, I submit to you that a black state employee was ordered to re-raise the flag that Bree Newsome took down so that it was in place before the start of a white supremacist rally in Charleston.

Comment

I would agree that it's not appropriate to fly it as a flag of any state, as no state is currently in rebellion against the U.S.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
            I would agree that it's not appropriate to fly it as a flag of any state, as no state is currently in rebellion against the U.S.
            Yeah, only certain citizens of certain states.

Comment

They needed a study to discover this?
              All they have to do is open their eyes.

Ageing rates vary widely, says study
              http://www.bbc.com/news/health-33409604

Comment

Yeah, they probably do, Annoyed....common sense isn't very common these days.
                Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons; for you are Crunchy and good with Ketchup.

Comment

I agree with you, Annoyed. My boyfriend has the epis on DVD, but I'm not sure how many seasons. I'd like to get him the rest of them, if need be, but now I'm not sure if I'll be able to.
                  Turas Sábháilte, Baile Sábháilte
                  (Safe Journey, Safe Home.)

Comment

Originally posted by imzadi35 View Post
                    The only rule is that it has to be a polite and friendly discussion. Let me start.
                    **** I don't like those rules. I wanna fight

Comment

I agree with the idea of this thread; same rules as the political thread. I rather enjoy that thread. This is one of the few message boards I've ever seen where open, uncensored discussions between widely differing points of view are allowed, and I've never seen it go on as long as it has without someone stooping to personal insults, cheap shots, etc. Kudos to all of the participants in that thread for that accomplishment.
                      I know several other sites who DID use to allow threads like this, but after too many 'flame wars' shut those discussions down. So i agree. Kudos to everyone for keeping them all flame free.

Regarding the confederate flag issue. It's just more political correctness gone wild. "Dukes" never had a racist bone in its body.

Although I know the history involved, the Confederate flag has never had racial overtones to me. It is more about the spirit of rebellion against authority, particularly that of government, a spirit I tend to agree with more than not.
                      As i mentioned in one of the other areas i have seen people raise the Confederate flag story, of those i know of who fly it, 2 were black families. So if they don't see it as racism, why do others?

Comment

The Confederate Flag has been recast as a symbol of southern pride and rebellion against overreach of authority, but that is historical revisionism. The truth is that it the civil war didn't start over state's rights, it started because the south didn't want to give up slavery, and they rebelled against a lawful order from the federal government to do so.

I'm not critisising the south here, we all have moments in our history that we shouldn't be proud of. For the south, that's a big one. They were motivated by racism and/or greed. After they lost they hyped up the state's rights party line to cover their motives and play the victim.

Really the Confederate Flag should be in a museum, a relic of the civil war, but instead the south has chosen to use the symbol of their treason as a sign of pride. It's the symbol of a war fought to keep owning slaves. It's about time they stop romanticising the civil war and move on. They don't have to tar themselves with that brush in perpetuity.

"BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

Comment

Originally posted by Britta View Post
                          The Confederate Flag has been recast as a symbol of southern pride and rebellion against overreach of authority, but that is historical revisionism. The truth is that it the civil war didn't start over state's rights, it started because the south didn't want to give up slavery, and they rebelled against a lawful order from the federal government to do so.

I'm not critisising the south here, we all have moments in our history that we shouldn't be proud of. For the south, that's a big one. They were motivated by racism and/or greed. After they lost they hyped up the state's rights party line to cover their motives and play the victim.

Really the Confederate Flag should be in a museum, a relic of the civil war, but instead the south has chosen to use the symbol of their treason as a sign of pride. It's the symbol of a war fought to keep owning slaves. It's about time they stop romanticising the civil war and move on. They don't have to tar themselves with that brush in perpetuity.
                          Do you see that as a valid reason for purging it from our society, though? Making TV shows like "Dukes" unavailable?

Comment

Do you see that as a valid reason for purging it from our society, though? Making TV shows like "Dukes" unavailable?
                            I don't think they need to cover up past use of it. In fact they shouldn't, that's also revisionism. They should stop using it now though. State governments sure shouldn't be flying it.

It's like some Looney Tunes DVDs say in the following disclaimer:
                            The cartoons you are about to see are products of their time. They may depict some of the ethnic and racial prejudices that were commonplace in American society. These depictions were wrong then and they are wrong today. While the following does not represent the Warner Bros. view of today's society, these cartoons are being presented as they were originally created, because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming these prejudices never existed.

"BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

Comment

To be perfectly honest...I never watched that show because of the confederate flag. It gave me the chills just looking at it. Though I do think some people did overreact to it. The difference for me is that government has no place using those symbols. Private individuals are different. It's that distinction that both sides of the "issue" don't get. Or maybe the do and just don't care.
                              By Nolamom
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X